Using baking soda as a water softener in black tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcs1377

I apologize if this is a repeated post but I can't find anything that addresses this question. I've seen several comments stating one should use Calgon as a water softener to help clean black tanks. We currently use Arm & Hammer baking soda for this purpose for our sons skin condition. This leads me to wonder if I can use it in our black tank as one would use Calgon. Would the salinity cause an issue of is it safe to use. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

J4

You're going to find that the majority of the members here don't us any chemicals at all. Save your money and just use your tanks properly. Do not dump the black tank unless it's at least 3/4 full and flush it real good after dumping. Install a clear elbow at your sewer outlet so you know when it's clean. After cleaning, start out with 5 gallons of water so the break down action starts immediately and use plenty of water when flushing.

I agree I don't use any tank chemicals or additives.  I do dump the black tank when 3/4 full or better. Yes I do start out with 5 gallons of water so I don't have to waste large amounts of drinking water flushing the toilet. When the trip is over I will rinse all the waste holding tanks out well before putting back in storage. When stored I leave the knife valves open to allow the tanks to dry. Never had a poo pyramid and never have tank sensor issues.

Are you having a particular odor problems with your black tank, or just thinking it should be cleaned?  As mentioned, water is the #1 most effective component for keeping the enzyme action going to break down the solids in there, and provide enough backpressure to flush out anything that has not liquefied yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom