Gas engine towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martin K

I am considering full timing in the next few years. The trailer I'm looking at or similar size is an Open Range 397FBS. The UVW is 12965. Hitch wt. 2590. Axle 10375. GAWR 14,000. Gross NCC 3505. I would like to stay with gas power. I'm looking at 2016 or newer Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton, 4x4, crew cab, 6 liter, 4:10 axle or Ford F-350 6.2 liter, 4:30 axle. Both single rear wheel. There are many calculations I been finding to determine what each truck can tow. Will the Chevy be satisfactory or will I need diesel if I go with Chevy?

Borderline with the Chevrolet 6.0 gas. If it had the 8.1 gas it would be OK but they quit making that so my thought is go with a diesel.

That's a pretty good size trailer.

The Trailer Life Towing Guides are what I have used to calculate preliminary numbers on tow capacities: http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Scrolling through the 2015 guide, the 6.0L appears to have a tow capacity of 13,000# with 4:10 gears.  You'd pretty much be instantly overweight with a dry trailer weighing 12,965# because I guarantee there is way more than 35# of options installed that aren't included in the UVW number.  Plus I'm sure you will have some stuff (including other people) in your truck too.  ;)

Ford F-250/F-350 numbers look substantially higher, 6.2L with 4:30 gears as you mentioned... starting around 12,000# but topping out over 15,000# (that might be the dually though) which would give you a lot more headroom with that trailer.

What is your reasoning for going gas over diesel?  It's a common conversation around here... diesel owners who tow heavy trailers say they will never go back, but the buy-in can be pretty high even with used trucks.

As Scotty says, all the 6.0L GM truck configurations max out between 13,000 and 13,900, so simply not adequate for that trailer. Even if you leave the wife and dog at home. The Ford Superduty 6.2L has configurations that go higher, around 15,000 to 15,700, so maybe adequate. A diesel would be a much better choice and probably perform better too, with better fuel economy and stronger acceleration.

The other guys are spot on.  And I suspect the first time you tow in the mountain west, you'll wish you'd bought a diesel.  Get the right tool for the job. 

robertusa123 said:
Depends on how much you like driving in the slow lane.

most states mandate all vehicles towing trailers drive in the slow lane.

In Illinois, there are some freeway areas (usually around larger cities) that will dictate trucks & trailers may only use the rightmost lane(s).  But I'm not aware of that being a state requirement that is written into the vehicle code, but would be considered a local ordinance I assume.

That said, RV's (and trailers especially) are usually much happier driving at 55-65mph than the typical 75-85mph of most other traffic.

To my knowledge, CA is the only state that has a requirement for towing vehicles to travel in the rightmost lane.  I have seen sections of highway posted that trucks use the rightmost one or two lanes, but those are local exceptions and not state laws.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Could you provide a reference for that? I don't see any lane restrictions in any of the sources I use for trailer or car towing laws.

All Californians are well aware of the towing lave restrictions here.

I was unable to find a list of lane restricted states for "non commerciaL" drivers,  but as a commercial driver I know many states restrict commercial rigs from the left lanes and here is what found for the state of Washington that other states have adopted similar weight limit related laws.

I quickly found Washington's towing lane law.... 

Any vehicle towing a trailer, or other vehicle or combination over
10,000 pounds, may not be driven in the left-hand lane of limited-access
roadways that have three or more lanes in one direction, excluding
HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes. This includes commercial trucks,
recreational vehicles, vehicles towing boats, and any car or truck towing
a trailer. Commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW are prohibited
from HOV lanes, even with the minimum number of occupants specified
on signs.

I think the subject of lane restrictions is getting clouded by the changing states weight limit licensing laws...(re-CDL and "non commercial CDL")

common sense would say... any state that has "speed restrictions for trailers"... would also restrict "speed restricted traffic" to the right lanes.

When you enter California there are signs stating that ALL vehicles towing OR with three or more axles have a maximum speed limit of 55 mph.  It includes campers and motorhomes.  If there are signs "Slow vehicles use right lanes" and the speed limit for that highway is 70 mph, then obviously you'll be in one of the right-most lanes because you're going slower.  Some states have that right lane for slower traffic as a posted law but others don't.  I don't believe I've ever seen a sign that requires trailers to be in the right lane, however the situation might require it.

I have seen a few situations where trucks must use the right lane for a mile, perhaps because of a difficult merge or because of construction, but that's not a law.  It's the unique situation.

ArdraF

Western States I highly suggest a diesel power plant over gas. I've one of both and for towing diesel hands down does the job better, better MPG's compared to gas even with price offsets, less failures, and engine longevity is typically 2-3 times over a gasoline engine. Then like my diesel I've got a exhaust brake to save all the brakes for when they are really needed. First brake job was at 185k miles I'm currently at 250k miles. Only got to change oil every 10k miles. Air filter and transmission fluid gets changed every 100k miles, fuel filters every 50k miles, and axle lube change every 30k miles. I'm getting 23-27 MPG in the diesel empty and 11-14 MPG towing the Jayco. I'm sure the gasoline power plants can't match it.

Diesel is the only way to go for towing. If gasoline was better you would see more over the road trucks with gasoline power plants but you don't...  ;)

Attachments

• 16 percent grade.jpg
    16 percent grade.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 8
I think before you spend twice as much for a diesel rig over a gas rig, 

you should look at the amount of over the road traveling, towing,  and mountain road travel you'll be doing.

I see a lot of 20 year motorhomes, with a very expensive diesel engines and less than 60K miles on them.

I quickly found Washington's towing lane law....

Any vehicle towing a trailer, or other vehicle or combination over
10,000 pounds, may not be driven in the left-hand lane of limited-access
roadways that have three or more lanes in one direction, excluding
HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes. This includes commercial trucks,
recreational vehicles, vehicles towing boats, and any car or truck towing
a trailer. Commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW are prohibited
from HOV lanes, even with the minimum number of occupants specified
on signs.

I'll submit that the above quote is not at all the same as "most states mandate all vehicles towing trailers drive in the slow lane."

Thanks for the response everyone. My main reason for gas is becouse of all the postings on what it costs to maintain a diesel. Some diesels go with little repair and some are in the thousands. I still have two years before I go full time so I will keep my current set up for a while. A 2008 Chevy 2500 6 liter gas with Open Range Journeyer bumper pull. I will continue reading, asking and learning. Thanks again.

I had a 2500 Silverado with the big gas engine with a FW close to what you are looking at, and was not a good experience, go for a diesel. I did.

Martin K said:
Thanks for the response everyone. My main reason for gas is becouse of all the postings on what it costs to maintain a diesel. Some diesels go with little repair and some are in the thousands. I still have two years before I go full time so I will keep my current set up for a while. A 2008 Chevy 2500 6 liter gas with Open Range Journeyer bumper pull. I will continue reading, asking and learning. Thanks again.

It costs more, but the maintenance intervals are further apart.  They are somewhat more cantankerous than a gasser, but the benefits far outweigh the trouble.

ArdraF said:
If there are signs "Slow vehicles use right lanes" and the speed limit for that highway is 70 mph, then obviously you'll be in one of the right-most lanes because you're going slower.  Some states have that right lane for slower traffic as a posted law but others don't.  I don't believe I've ever seen a sign that requires trailers to be in the right lane, however the situation might require it.

ArdraF

A.  there are 29 states with a separate maximum speed limit for vehicles towing trailers.....
B.  I'm pretty sure every state and federal highway has a basic traffic law requiring slower traffic to to stay to the right.....

therefor,... is my statement not true ......."most states require trailers to stay in the right lanes" ?

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom