2006 starwood by Mckenzie 5th wheel for hunting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crowe

I recently bought a 2006 Starwood by Mckenzie 5th wheel. We live in Colorado and want to use it for elk hunting in November. I am having trouble finding temperature ratings for the trailer. it does have a capped under belly with what looks like spray insulation, the heating is forced air from the floor. We want to be able to use the toilet while hunting; what precautions, or procedures should take to ensure we don't freeze up?

Hello and Welcome!!!

It is probably typical for most trailers, and most are not "rated" for cold weather operation at all, there is no "official" rating system for that. Those that claim so will have it splashed all over their advertising (like Arctic Fox does). The most you can say is that most are made for summer or 2-3 season use, or for southern latitudes during the late fall, winter, and early spring. The best you can hope for is some insulation on the underside, the walls are not thick (2" maybe?) and with single pane glass, probably quite leaky.

You can arrange skirting around the underside which keeps the wind out and which might help a bit with floor and tank insulation.  You will need to assure yourself that the furnace air will heat the plumbing and storage area a bit. You will not likely be able to leave the trailer overnight without draining or blowing out the plumbing, depending where it is located and what temperatures you are likely to encounter. Unless you have access to 120V electric there is not a lot you can do to prevent freezing up. If you have an appropriate generator, you should be able to charge the batteries and perhaps direct a small electric space heater or even hang a 60-90W light bulb into critical areas like storage bays or install tank heating pads if the trailer does not have that option installed. Take lots of blankets!!!

When the temps hit 32? overnight in South Florida a couple of years ago and power failures were rampant, we were lucky to make 1 overnight using the furnace and a bank of 2 batteries as running the furnace is very hard on them. (Our 42K BTU furnace runs on 12V + propane as do all RV furnaces)

thanks for the reply. I do have a Honda 3000 generator i can use for a space heater, but i probably will not leave it running while we are out. I guess i should plan on not using the toilet; i don't want things freezing up.

Just a thought...

Will a gallon or two of pink antifreeze in the black tank prevent freeze up, then use a bucket or similar to add water to the toilet to flush?  Leave the toilet dry except when in active use?  Will this avoid black tank freezing ?  No water lines would be needed for this.

The bucket of water will work but you have to fetch it from "somewhere". And, I wonder at the efficiency of the pink RV antifreeze once diluted with water as suggested.

that is a good idea. I will be near a creek. I will have to check on the freezing point of the RV anti-freeze once diluted. is it a higher point than that of regular automotive anti-freeze?

crowe said:
that is a good idea. I will be near a creek. I will have to check on the freezing point of the RV anti-freeze once diluted. is it a higher point than that of regular automotive anti-freeze?

Yes -- auto antifreeze is intended to be diluted. RV antifreeze is designed to be used as is.

did you do a lot of sub freezing RVing? did you have any black water tank or line freezing problems?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom