2015 Death Valley '49ers Encampment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherylH

I'm one of the volunteers who help put on this wonderful event in Death Valley each year. The 66th annual Death Valley '49ers Encampment will be held November 11-15 (with pre-Encampment activities, including evening music, hikes, and 4x4 tours) November 8-10. I got involved after my husband and I "accidentally" camped at Death Valley while this event was going on, and we had a great time.

If you enjoy historical programs, Chautauqua performances, films, gold panning, parades, wagon trains, poker or golf tournaments, and great western music in the evening this is a great time to visit Death Valley. The cost is only $25/family and the music on one night alone is worth it. Richard Elloyan will be this year's master of ceremonies and has been a featured performer at the Elko cowboy poetry gathering and the Colorado cowboy gathering. Returning this year is the Wild West Trio. This group earned the Will Rogers Award in 2011 from the Academy of Western Artists for Best Western Music Group of the Year.

It all takes place at the Furnace Creek Ranch. The Furnace Creek campground is probably reserved out at this point, but there will be plenty of room at the first come, first serve Sunset Campground, just across the street. Texas Springs Campground is also FCFS, but doesn't allow generators.

The event is very family friendly. Not a drinking, rowdy crowd at all. The '49ers are a nonprofit group that supports park projects, a scholarship fund, and other initiatives that preserve and promote Death Valley.

We may drive out..and you're right there is no room at Furnace Creek RV Park.

We're very interested in this get-together. Sounds like fun -- is advance sign up required? Is there a web site?

Addendum: http://www.deathvalley49ers.org/encampment/ is the website (thanks Google), but it's not clear whether you have to be a member just to attend, but it appears that may be the $25 you mentioned (or $40/family?).

Thanks.

We lived and worked in Death Valley for 4 years and were camphosts one winter at Sunset Campground during 49ers. We enjoyed the music, especially the group playing at Sunset every night before the Dncampment started. There's a lot going on but the best thing is that everyone's in bed by 9 p.m.  ? The campgrounds in the Furnace Creek area used to fill up days before the actual encampment days so you might consider going early. And it can still be pretty toasty in November. But Death Valley is a beautiful place and the sunsets from Sunset Campground are spectacular.

The cost to participate in the Death Valley '49ers Encampment is $25 for individuals and $40 for families with children under 18. For this, you also become a member of the group -- a great nonprofit that funds scholarships for area students, monuments for Death Valley, and other good works.

This is one event among others I've always wanted to attended(another being Mule Days in Bishop). I'd do it this year if I wasn't in the middle of projects in the MH...but next year, look out!!! :)

This is a good year to skip with all the flood damage. The Scotty's Castle area is especially a mess.

Yes, I just saw that the entire Scotty's Castle complex might be closed for up to a year.  There's mud up to door handles and one building has a bulge in the wall that might mean a costly repair.  Apparently Scotty's Castle itself is mostly okay but the visitor center where you buy tickets and the bookstore is in pretty bad shape.  The flood happened a week ago and they're just now getting in to access damage.  Mud is a couple of feet deep.  They're also waiting for historical preservationists to arrive to assist in the evaluation.  The road to Badwater was closed for a while (below sea level so lowest point in park).

ArdraF

Death Valley might be a good destination after the Quartzsite rally, depending on how the rest of the winter goes.

A couple of years ago, storms passed through the desert southwest including Death Valley, and the Forum group decided to give it a pass.  I went anyway and had the place practically to myself with beautiful weather.

Back
Top Bottom