What's the right way to use Weight Distribution Hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ride Everything

Hi again - I use a weight distribution hitch for the travel trailer I tow.  The trailer's my brother-in-law's so I think it's a WDH.

I'm towing with a 2006 F-150, and the trailer has a dry weight of 5,800 lbs.  After all my stuff, I guessing I'm around 7,000 or so lbs.  My truck has a tow rating of 9,500 lbs.

Question:  I just read in a magazine that after the trailer is hooked up using a WDH, the tow vehicle will be level and should have no sag; otherwise you're not using the WDH correctly.  Someone please tell me the correct way to load the rig. 

Right now, I first load the rig on the truck to get the ball set, then I raise the trailer back (bringing the truck up with it) so the truck is level again, I then install the sway bars, etc; then  load the trailer weight back down on the truck.  My truck still sags, not too badly, but it's certainly not level.

Am I doing this correctly?

To make it easier to apply preload, after you hook the hitch on crank the jack to lift the truck about 2 inches or so, than put the springs on and set, when you take off the weight it ought to get you level.

Ride Everything said:
Hi again - I use a weight distribution hitch for the travel trailer I tow.  The trailer's my brother-in-law's so I think it's a WDH.

I'm towing with a 2006 F-150, and the trailer has a dry weight of 5,800 lbs.  After all my stuff, I guessing I'm around 7,000 or so lbs.  My truck has a tow rating of 9,500 lbs.

Question:  I just read in a magazine that after the trailer is hooked up using a WDH, the tow vehicle will be level and should have no sag; otherwise you're not using the WDH correctly.  Someone please tell me the correct way to load the rig. 

Right now, I first load the rig on the truck to get the ball set, then I raise the trailer back (bringing the truck up with it) so the truck is level again, I then install the sway bars, etc; then  load the trailer weight back down on the truck.  My truck still sags, not too badly, but it's certainly not level.

Am I doing this correctly?

We have the procedure outline in the library.  Cilck  HERE to see.  Note that this procedure will not apply to a Hensley Arrow system.  See their instructions.

The more you raise the front of the trailer the less work you will have to do to set the bars correctly. Once set and the weight is back on the truck you can take a measurement at the front and rear of the trailer. You should be within an inch or less. Lower in the front is better as that will place a little more weight on the hitch and give you more control. I try to get it within a 1/2" or less. The truck should sit level as well. Sometimes the adjustable ball mount needs to be changed if one is level and the other isn't.

Back
Top Bottom