Forcing Win 8.1 to use older driver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herekittykitty

Need a real geek for this one, 'cause I can't even get decent answers from Monsieur Google.

I can't stand the basic, no-frills scanner driver that comes with 8.1/10. I want to use the older driver that was made specifically for my HP scanner and worked fine for years, through all incarnations of Windows.

Latest version was published in 2006 but supposedly works with 8.1 and even 10, but it won't install, because "it was not better than the software you have currently installed." Even if I could get an unpacked version of it, I wouldn't know how to force Windows to use it, since it doesn't think anything is missing.

Help!

Go into the device manager and uninstall the current driver.  Then tell it to load the old driver (from disk or wherever).

Could you try this on your machine and tell me if it actually works for you? Because from what I've read, it won't work. It's a MS-provided basic driver and will just reinstall itself when you restart your computer.

? Are you saying Windows 10 will replace the old driver once it is installed?  If so, I don't guess I can't help.  Sorry.

Hi Kit,

Ned most likely can help you out when he see this. I have him pegged as one of the forum's guru's.

Uninstall the driver in device manager, and if given the option, have the files removed as well.  Restart the computer without the scanner connected.  Then plug in the scanner.  When the new device detection window opens, don't let Windows search for a driver but tell it you have a disk.  Point it to the location of the driver you want to use.

If none of that works, then go to here and get VueScan.  Works with virtually all scanners and has all the functionality of the manufacturers' drivers.

Thanks very much for the VueScan referral. As I expected, trying to uninstall the drivers didn't work.

Am now going to try to find something similar to VueScan that doesn't cost $30. Or I'll just have to learn to live with the stinky MS scanner driver.

I sure do appreciate the help, though.

Did you try the roll back driver to an earlier version?

Device manager, right click on the device will bring up the dialog.

I use the windows scan & fax program.  Not a big fan of VueScan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom