$100 for what ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gena

Ok, so I would like to know what "would you do" ?
A bit of a back story here, please bear with me here....

We bought our fifth wheel on August 1st (used, not new) -
Were told everything would be in working order when we took possession of it.

At the dealer, the fan in the living room would not work, then worked, then would not again.
The Salesman was well aware of this.

After 2 weeks we were finally able to get out in it and go on a first trip-
We found the following:

-a leak at seam of valve on the black tank.
-living room fan works when it feels like it.
-water heater will not work from electric.

I contacted the dealer, spoke to the owner... he seemed like he didn't really care and told me there was only a 30 day warranty on it.
This was August 19 when I contacted them, I reminded him we purchased on August 1st and 30 days had not passed yet.

Dropped the unit off last week, and is ready to pick up tomorrow -

They want to charge us $100 as they said:
-the fan issue was the remote and the remote was not covered under 30 day warranty.
-the switch on water heater was bad and that also was not covered.

I know $100 may not seem like a lot, but is to me and I also feel that as everything was to be in working condition and was not that I should not have to pay this....
My question of "what would you do?" ... is, really.... do I refuse to pay the $100 and fight with them, or pay and go on my merry way?

If they told you that "everything" would be working, I would hold them to their word.

That having been said, $100 is a relatively cheap ay to find out that you may not want to deal with them in the future.

Everything works and if it doesn't, it's not covered. Sounds reasonable.

So who is the dealer so we all may make sure we shop there?

Sounds like the "He Said, She Said" game.  If it's not in writing, it won't happen.

Fred

Well if the 30 days have yet to pass  you can always say "Here, take it back" and hand him the keys and title.. Once he gives you a full refund.

See how he likes that.

Or just tell him he has made it easier for you to pick your next RV by limiting the number of dealers you will be shopping at to N - 1 (his) since he lied about the condition of the trailer.

I would investigate several avenues. One, check your paperwork carefully and see exactly what the warranty covers. Two, look at your repair estimate. What? No estimate? In some states there are laws that protect owners from repair shops that provide no estimate or exceed the estimate. The local prosecuting attorney is sometimes an easy phone call away to find out what the law is in your area. The local Chamber of Commerce and or Better Business Bureau may also be able to tell you what your options may be.

$100 is a relatively cheap lesson compared to what it could have been. Word of mouth about shady practices has worked in the past. Just spread the word about how you were treated.

Ken

I would try to argue for my mot paying.  If that is not successful, I would pay the money, get a receipt and then inform him that I was filing a complaint with the state.  It should get interesting about that time.  :)

Gena said:
Ok, so I would like to know what "would you do" ?

They want to charge us $100 as they said:
-the fan issue was the remote and the remote was not covered under 30 day warranty.
-the switch on water heater was bad and that also was not covered.

You would have had to approve the cost of anything that was not agreed upon when the vehicle was dropped off and should be written on the service order,  Guessing you agreed on warranty repairs and anything not as they said covered should have been approved prior to  completing the repairs either by phone or signed for in person. if in that conversation you had with them you agreed then it will be on the notes as Customer agreed on such date and time.

I would have said you can keep it for breach of contract or don't fix anything that's not warranty.

Much depends on what is in writing in the sales contract vs what was verbally promised.  You may have no little or legal recourse if everything was verbal - he can say the terms of the "warranty" were whatever he wishes. If the written contract says something like "30 day warranty", then you are golden.

In any case, he has amply demonstrated he is a shyster that you should never do business with again. Object strenuously, but if you have to, pay up, get out and never come back (but he won't care).

Word of mouth about shady practices has worked in the past. Just spread the word about how you were treated.

This is true. And with social networking, its easy to do these days. Sites like Google and Yelp will let you write reviews for any business. Lots of people look at those reviews when looking for businesses they want to work with.

cadee2c said:
This is true. And with social networking, its easy to do these days. Sites like Google and Yelp will let you write reviews for any business. Lots of people look at those reviews when looking for businesses they want to work with.
Just my opinion, but I'm with one other poster - write a very generic "dissatsified" review without too many specifics, swallow the $100 as a lesson, and don't ever do business there again. Everyone is lawsuit happy now-a-days.  Spread the word by actual word of mouth, NOT in social media where there is a permanent record.  If it were a lot of money, your local TV station consumer action reporters love a story like that, but for $100, they won't touch it. Good luck and I hope the rest of your RV'ing goes well.

Steve

In most states your options are probably limited since many states provide a mechanics lien against unpaid repair bills. For many dealers that is why they don't worry about getting something paid for in advance. They have a lien on your property until the bill is paid. You are probably out the $100.

If the place is a member of the BBB, file a complaint with the BBB. File a complaint with the state as the place is probably licensed and the state will probably investigate. Find a review site online and write a review detailing what happened and explaining that they refused to cover their own warranty. And let them know you are going to do all of this. If they know what is going to happen they might just forget the bill as the problems would be more costly than the $100.

And never do business with them again.

Well, we picked her up and ended up paying the $100 after arguing back and forth; it just was not worth it.
The service order/receipt guarantees the repairs... however even if the "repairs" were to fail ... I wouldn't go back and did inform them that I would be filing a complaint as I did not approve any repairs beyond warranty repairs verbally or in writing.

Lesson learned, just happy there were no more zeros -- $100 lesson.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom