How to maintain Oregon residency while full timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In about 6 weeks my wife and I are going to set out on  a full time RV adventure.  We have sold our house.  We are selling furniture and other things.  We are storing the rest.  We are Oregon residents.  How do we maintain our residency status when we don't have a physical residence in Oregon and we are living in various states throughout the year?  I would especially like to hear from an Oregonian.  What steps did you take?

Mail forwarding is another issue.  What steps do we need to take to receive our mail?

My first question would be why would you want to? Oregon is not the best place for retirees. I spent the better part of last year in Wisconsin, and still had to pay Oregon's state tax, because of my intent to come back. I do not own a residence, but fulltime RV in Coburg. I would think a South Dakota residence might make more sense,or any other state with no state income tax. I recently picked up a part time job in Springfield, so my future plans are not clear at this point. I will be interested in any responses you get.

I agree with Mikef. It would not be advantageous to remain an Oregon resident. You need to establish a domicile in a tax free state like South Dakota, Texas or Florida. Find a mail forwarding service in one of those states and "move" there.

Do look into the Escapees organization.  They exist to support the full time RVer, and can help you establish a domicile in TX and also supply a valid mailing address through their mailing service.  A few other states are reasonable choices for domicile, but to my knowledge, none have an organization like the Escapees to help you get everything set up.  There is no reason to remain domiciled in OR if you're full time.

If you do choose to keep Oregon as your domicile, you really don't need to do anything. Your domicile won't change unless you force it to by overtly moving your various legal connections elsewhere, e.g. driver licenses, vehicle tags, mailing address or PO Box, etc.  You may, however, have some difficulty with the Oregon gov't agencies when it comes time to renew licenses and such. They will probably insist on a physical address and won't accept alternatives. Talk with the DMV about that now rather than later, so that you are prepared when the time comes.

This info from the state of Oregon should help:
http://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/driverid/residency.aspx

Note that "domicile", "residency" and the various licensing requirements can be and usually are different things.  Domicile is a fuzzy concept, while the state will have various "residency" laws/rules that affect your relationship with the state of Oregon.

Lived in Oregon for 31 years [Seaside] and now registered out of South Dakota.  Reason: Have been fulltiming for 17 years now and was running all over the country paying sales tax in other states and  Oregon would want me to pay income tax .  I would therefore be double taxing myself.  So South Dakota has the welcome mat out.  Use American Mail Box as my address in Box Elder [Rapid City].

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

I am also selling out & planning on RVing full time by April 2016. It seems SD and TX are most often mentioned most as good places to have residency status. My question: what about NH and WA which also have no state income tax?

You can keep your Oregon address!!! You can get a mail service which will use that address. Then go to DMV and tell them you want a "CONTINUOUS TRAVELER" license. They issue those all the time for people who full time and need an Oregon license. I know....I have one. Sometimes you have to get the right DMV person who knows what you are talking about. When I got mine.....he were 2 guys there that knew exactly what to do. I have renewed license plates.....info goes to my mail service who then sends it to me where I am. My DL shows my address as the mail service with "Continuous traveler" right above it.

Thank you so much! I didn't know this existed, and it's just the information I needed.

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom