Building free standing dinette table. Single pedistal leg sufficient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregg

I am in the process of rebuilding my dinette area and thinking about a free standing table.  I went to my local RV dealer and most of what I saw were tables attached to the side wall or cabinets.  How stable are those metal pedestal legs that just press in and screw to the floor.  Do they move around a lot when traveling?  Do not want to screw into my new floor and find out later I need to add a second table leg or something.  I am thinking about a 36" oval table that is maybe 22 to 24" wide.  Maybe another question should be if a free standing table is even feasible?

I used single pedestal for the helm seat on my boat, it was stout. Check to see if your idea of a table pedestal is the same as what West Marine sells. The sockets I used were plastic, the stanchion was aluminum. Oh by the by I weighed about 220# in those days.

Bill

The pedestal base and leg fit together pretty stiffly and don't move much on their own, but whether you want to use one or two legs depends on the length of your free-standing table.  The further you get from the leg, the more leverage you have when someone leans on the the table edge.

36" is about as long as I'd like to go using a single pedestal.  Since your table is oval, it's less likely someone will put a lot of weight on the very tip of the oval so you should be OK with one pedestal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom