Why can't folks leash their dog's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdasaro

There is something wrong when you find yourself thanking God that only your little Yorkie was mauled and luckily not killed. My dogs, Roufianna and Cosmo weigh in at about 9lbs. each. I wouldn't think of walking them without a leash and a plastic bag for recycled dog food. Drove to MD state park at Pt. Lookout in St. Maries last week. Not a bad ride from Long Island in NY where we live. So, the bride and I are walking our two fur babies when a huge dog jumps out of a truck and attacks. He charges straight for Roufianna, picking her up by the back of the neck and shaking her in an attempt at breaking her neck. He was oblivious to my shouting and kicking him and to my wife who did same. When the smoke cleared after his owners, apologetically dragged him away, my baby had two deep puncture wounds and was thoroughly traumatized as was the bride and I. The owners turned out to be nice folks who split the vet bills with us but why??? Things happen quickly. Bad things are even quicker. If he had gotten her around the neck instead of the scruff she would be dead now and my wife, Cosmo and I would be heart broken. Dogs need to be leashed. They are animals, incapable of reason. They react to stimuli much faster than we do so it's up to us who (allegedly) possess the power of reason to control them and not the other way around. We will all be having nightmares about this for many months to come. Why??????
Regards
Capt.

SPLIT THE VET BILL????????? If they were worth a nickel they would have paid the vet bill!!!!

Obey the law. The same problem exists in just about every neighborhood. If my dog leaves the fence he is on a leash. My dog (dogs) do not leave the yard even if the gate is left open. In case the gate is left open, he will guard the gate. Secure your dog. I have numerous dogs in my neighborhood running free. I call Miami-Dade at least once a month because of dogs running free, most without collars so the dog cannot be traced back to the owner, Many are picked up but it seems like more come.

sdsaro, sorry to hear this happened to your furry creature.  They say time will heal, but the memories remain. No to second guess you in your decision to share the vet costs, but I have a much lower threshold for such occurrences, and would have demanded that the other dog owner pay every single penny, now, and in the future, just in case your pet develops other conditions, but hopefully not. I generally carry a golf club with me when I am out with my dog in anticipation of such events. I love dogs, but I would go berserk if my little Bichon Friese was in the jaws of another dog.

I have had to defend my dog on two occasions when I was living in my old neighborhood.  Both times the dog bolted out of a house and tried to attack my leashed dog. On both occasions the dog sustained some damage, but I fully blame the owner, not the dog. 

If it had been me, he would have paid the entire bill or else the police would have been called and he would have probably have had to pay a fine and the courts would have made him pay the bill also.  You let him get away with it. You should have pushed the issue further.  He didn't learn I'm sure.

Know what? Y'aal are right. If it wasn't for hindsight I'd be blind. We were just so happy he didn't kill her. They did have him in their PU when he jumped out an open window. Aaarrrrgggggghh!
Tx for your support
Capt

I am sorry for what happened to you &  I agree they should have paid the bill.  Unfortunately it is not only pets dogs are going after, it is after people.  I walk several times a times a day as we travel and have been scared or had dogs come after me on 4 occasions over the years.  After 4 barking dogs got very brave and charged me I unfortunately do now carry a stick for protection. I was fortunate that there were plenty of stones to send in their direction to try and scare them off.  What did the owner do??  He yells at me to not to walk where he lives----I was on the public road!  Everyone says "not my dog" as they do for their unruly kids  and as much as love ALL animals and have had so many over the years if it comes to me or an animal, I will protect myself. 
Also, please be kind to those of us who no longer have pets.  If I'm walking by {or sitting outside and someone else walks by } and your beloved dog starts to bark, please get it to stop.  It seems like owners have become oblivious to the barking and we have to listen to them yap forever. 
I apologize as I did not mean to hijack your thread, but apparently I needed to vent. Hugs, Di 

I believe that most states require any animal to be under the control of the owner making the owner liable for any damages their pet cause. I hate to see any animal hurt and I know that most responsible owners keep their pets under control. I am so sorry to hear of your personal encounter with an irresponsible owner.

We were on our second outing as new RVers, at a great little state park in OK (Osage Hills, hidden gem) when I was walking from our TT to the bathhouse when another camper's dog came barking, snarling and snapping at me. I didn't see that it had a tether on and I was about to not need the bathhouse except to clean up but luckily the dog hit the end of the tether first...but it was probably a 20 foot tether, totally inadequate for an RV setting. Dogs and I usually get along fine but this one was not friendly and didn't seem like a good candidate for a travel companion. So not only do dogs need to be leashed, the leash/tether needs to be a reasonable length, maybe 6 feet. A mild temperament helps too. Lots of folks have dogs and most are responsible, unfortunately not all.

I am so sorry your furbaby got hurt and all of you so traumatized!!!  :'( :-\ :(

We have a 50lb Boxer, Ridgeback, Austrailian Shepard, French bull Dog mix. She is very well behaved, knows over 123 commands, as well as names for her toys, and has Addison's Disease.  Which means she's on a leash with us UNLESS we are in the middle on no darn where and no one can be seen or heard for miles and miles. We have issues with people not leashing, or not listening to us when we tell them she is on STEROIDS and can go from calm to berserk in a second. This is why we don't ever have her off the leash around others, and maintain strict control over her....however if she is on the leash and someone else's dog rushes over and she hurts them that's their fault not ours. (we've already checked here in Colorado and that's the current ruling) and since we KNOW she's got issues due to meds we do everything in our power to protect her AND others from her. It's never the pets, its the owners. I'm just furious the owners only paid half they should have INSISTED they pay all of it, and they were obviously not watching their dog the way they should have.

Here's to full healing in body and spirit to you all. And a shocked look from our Molly...who thinks she's human. (Don't tell her we are trying to keep it a secret.)

Attachments

• 1601343_798407186911722_204651049817712807_n.jpg
    1601343_798407186911722_204651049817712807_n.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 49
Paul & Ann said:
This happens because no one's dog has ever bitten another person, or attacked another dog.

If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard "Our little precious WOULDN'T DO THAT!!!"....

A man is sitting on a park bench, a dog is siting beside the bench,
A second man comes up and asks "Does your dog bite?"
The man on the bench says "No, my dog does not bite."
The second man approaches the dog which proceeds to tear him up something serious.

As the Medics are loading him on the gurney he turns to the man sitting on the bench and says:
I thought you said your dog does not bite.

The man on the bench replies.. He dosen't... and pointing to the animal which is now in the custody of animal control he adds: That's not my dog.

For the owner's of Ridgeback.... I like your position and fully support it.. If some dog accosts Ridgeback and earns the reward he (Said dog, and dogs by the way denotes male so HE is the proper pronoun) Well. perhaps that will teach the owner of the non-leased dog the value of leashes.. Be sure to bill them for cleaning Ridgeback's teeth.

Don't just assume its big dogs either that are a potential problem.  My wife got bit a few months ago by some little ankle biter that came up behind her.

Back
Top Bottom