Camping With a Scarlet MaCaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkEmerson

We are looking for idea's and suggestions from those who have taken their birds on the road. Pictures of cages and ways to keep them safe. We have tried to have sitters when we vacation, but this bird is very boned to us. Last time we left he plucked his tail feathers.

He is not fully flighted, but can fly short hops. We are trying to rig up a shower perch for him as it's sunny there. He is an avid chewer, so we must be careful not to let him just cruise around. At age 40, he is pretty set in his ways.

Thanks for your input.

I used to own a scarlet mccaw for a few months and I sold him quickly. They make horrible pets. Sure they are pretty but they are not worth the trouble. They have an extremely loud voice and are very undisciplined. You really can't control them no matter what you think. I suggest selling the bird and get a cat or something that is a lot more manageable. Birds and RVs do not go together. He needs to be in a cage at least the size of your RV, anything else is just torture for the bird. Actually he shouldn't even be in a cage but letting him go is even more cruel at this point.

Rhett the wonder bird is 40 years old....I met him when he was 6 weeks old...at age 33 his first Daddy died and the family knew I would care for him like he was my own child. I do.
I built this perch for safe travel and he does travel well. He only hangs out there when we are moving. Pets are alot like kids...nuf said. He would have died many years ago had I not taken him, he was stuffed in a tiny cage and now he has tons of room. We live in farm country.

We purchased our RV for him and our 2 other pets to travel with us...

Attachments

• RhettRV2.jpg
    RhettRV2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 42
Trip went awesome..Bird suffered no trauma...he enjoyed meeting new people. Hardly a peep unless he could hear us right outside the MH...

New guy here... howdy all.

We travel with a 35 year old African Grey... he's got a Kings Cages medium parrot aluminum travel cage that's actually large enough for multi-week trips in comfort.
While on the road the cage is strapped into a seat and when stopped the cage hangs between the driver's and passenser seat in front, giving him full view of the outside world (when the shades are open) and the RV interior.

He absolutely loves traveling and camping and he's a delight to have with us.  Weather permitting, we'll bring his "camper" outside with us and he instantly becomes the life of the party... and loves every second of it.

Back
Top Bottom