Getting appointents while traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geode

Hello,
My wife and I will be starting our full time RVing this September.  Our plan is to go south for the winter,  see the west coast next spring and travel across the northern states during the summer.  We may need to  see a doctor now and then as we move around.  I am retired military, so  insurance is not an issue.  However, my wife will need to  see a doctor every three months on a regular basis and both of us might have to see a doctor for other reasons.  Med-Point style locations are very limited, and emergency rooms are dangerous.  So, I assume we will have to  make an appointment.  Since we would be a new patient, we could have to wait for two months for the appointment.  That, of course, is not reasonable, but it is how the medical industry operates.  So, what do people do to see a doctor while traveling?

I've used urgent care facilities with good success when not at home.  But if you need a doctor for some scheduled procedures, then perhaps your primary care physician can help in finding referrals in the places you expect to be at those times.

I've never heard of Med-Point.  Is it insurance?  Is it a supplement to Medicare?  Is it an HMO health care plan?  The insurance you have determines what you can do.  For example, between Medicare and the AARP/United Healthcare supplemental insurance we can go to any doctor or hospital in the U.S. (unless they do not take Medicare), but if you have an HMO (Kaiser Permanente is an example) you can only go elsewhere on an emergency basis and regular appointments have to be at a Kaiser facility.  We were forced to obtain other insurance when we moved out of Kaiser's jurisdiction.  Neither of us had Medicare at that point so we went with Blue Cross/Blue Shield because of it's nationwide coverage.  After BC/BS got so stingy with our medical providers many of them left that system so we changed to AARP/United Healthcare and have been happy with it.  Again we chose it for the nationwide coverage.  HMOs may be nice if you're stationary, but not so great once you start traveling a lot!

ArdraF

I have a deal with my primary doctor. Every 3 months, I go to a Labcorp office and get tests done. I then get my prescriptions re-filled at Walmart. I try to go through Denver once a year or so for a face to face meeting. It has worked for 4 years. 

Tricare for Life may not pay for all doc in the boxes but I have never had a problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom