Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bajarat

Hello All !

Big Larry, Henry, and I are inviting 'Ya'll' to come to Texas for what promises to be one heck of a Rally that will have something for everyone!

Date: April 17-24, 2016

Rally HQ will be The Maverick RV Ranch at the Lajitas Resort.  www.lajitasgolfresort.com
Lajitas Resort was billed as the Ultimate Hideaway for the rich and famous wanting to literally 'get away from everything'.  If there are any pilots wanting to join the rally, the Lajitas Airport can handle any bird you care to fly there.  Lajitas has two fine restaurants on the property to dine at as well as spa services for those who want to enjoy a day of pampering.  There are also fantastic hotel accommodations for those who are not still RV'ing, so you can join the rally and get in on all the activities we have planned.  Please take a moment to review the Lajitas Resort link to see other services and activities they offer.  If we have any golfers, the Lajitas course is one of the most unusual courses you will ever play and a strong slice for you right handers will sail your ball across the Rio Grande into Mexico!  I have secured 30 sites at $30 and $32 with cable TV for our group.

Lajitas is located between Big Bend State Park and Big Bend National Park.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/index.htm  800,000 acres

There are approximately over 200 miles of hiking trails in both parks offering diverse long distance views and an amazing variety of wildlife. Organized hikes will be offered in the national park for all who wish to attend. There are also white water raft trips down the Rio Grande for folks that wish to experience a thrilling adventure.

What activities are we planning? (This list is not complete as of now)

Jeep Runs to:

The Top of The World
Old Ore Road (26 mi one way)
River Road North and South (along the Rio Grande, 51 mi one way)
Marathon Road (think deep sand, Baja Style, over 20 mi)
Glenn Springs Road (16 mi)
Black Gap Road (8.5 mi)
Mariscal Mine - An old Cinnabar mine where mercury/quicksilver was mined
Hot Springs in the national park that is actually in the Rio Grande River

Big Bend Ranch State Park road to the ranch HQ is a fun, rocky 24 miles that once at the ranch HQ, has numerous Jeep trails to scenic sites that can be explored and is accessed a few miles from Maverick Ranch Rally HQ.

More roads and trails will be offered as we develop more of an organized schedule closer to the rally date.

Several years ago I owned a ranch near Lajitas and I have arranged a day for us to get some lead flying at a friend's ranch 2 miles north of the Lajitas Airport.  We will enjoy busting clay birds out over a 100 foot deep canyon, pistol and rifle targets, and for you long range gunners, we can set targets out to 750 yards to shoot from the rifle bench.  I will bring along a couple AR15's, AK-47, shotguns, and several caliber pistols for those few of you that won't have your firearms handy for the rally.  As for the rest of you, start gathering up your ammo now! 

Another fun thing for us to do is cross into Mexico at the newly opened border crossing at Boquillias Canyon located in the national park.  It is unusual in that is it a US Border Kiosk($1mm) that is manned by park rangers, not Customs/Border Patrol Agents.  You simply park in the secure lot at the crossing, walk though the Border Kiosk down to the Rio Grande.  On the other side of the Rio Grande in Mexico, several old timers will serenade us while flat bottom boats will be rowed across the river to transport us the the other side.  The town of Boquillias del Carmen which has once again come to life since the border opening is 3/4 mi from the river.  You can chose a burro, horse, or truck to make your way into the village for a cold beverage and lunch and perhaps make a small purchase to support the villagers.  Upon your return to the US, you will place your passport into the kiosk machine and be connected to a Border Patrol Agent in Presidio, Texas.  A polite welcome home from the agent completes your experience of this very memorable few hours spent in Mexico.

And finally, a trip to Big Bend is not complete without a visit to Terlingua Ghost Town (7 mi from Lajitas).  The Ghost Town is located between our Rally HQ and the entrance to Big Bend National Park.  In fact, the Starlight Theater Restaurant is where I met my wife Andrea who was on holiday from Germany 9 years ago. Please take a moment to explore Terlingua at this link. http://ghosttowntexas.com/terlingua.html  There are several unique restaurants in the area that you will also want to experience as well.

Come and enjoy one of the most remote and beautiful areas you have ever travelled to.  Many travelers have found Big Bend to be the destination that they return to year after year; Henry, Margaret, Andrea, and I are among the faithful!  There will also be some special prize$ for events held during the rally  ;)

Please reply to this thread to join us and secure a spot at Maverick Ranch RV Park !

It goes without saying, that Team LoLa will be in attendance and will bring both golf clubs and
a multitude of firearms.  Looking forward to a great time in the Bend. . . . .

Team Lola.

Margaret and I will be present for sure. We were here last April and the bluebonnets were everywhere. As far as internet we had good wifi through our hot spot with AT&T. This is one of my favorite National park areas. Lots to do and no one will be bored. See you there.

Larry N. said:
How about muzzleloaders, pistol and rifle? Any prohibitions (some places do)?

We will be on a private ranch Larry.  Bring whatever you have to make some noise!

Henry Wishard said:
Ned, this is your chance to come to a Rally with accommodation next to the RV park.

But we'll be bringing our own accommodations :)

Henry Wishard said:
Sorry Ned, I misunderstood. I took former full timers for no RV at all.

No problem, Henry.  We just got back from a 4 month trip that started at Palo Duro Canyon last May.  You might recall us from there :)

That is one hell of a long way down there but we are thinking about it.

This will take some talking to get the better half to agree. ;)

One question based off of this past year's rally.  What is the tornado situation like? :D  The weather scenario in Palo Duro really messed up my sleeping and I need my beauty sleep.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
That is one hell of a long way down there but we are thinking about it.

This will take some talking to get the better half to agree. ;)

One question based off of this past year's rally.  What is the tornado situation like? :D  The weather scenario in Palo Duro really messed up my sleeping and I need my beauty sleep.

Mike.

0% chance Mike! 

Us Texans and folks east of of make the trips to Moab and that is in your back yard.  Make the effort and come to Big Bend, you won't regret it!

bajarat said:
0% chance Mike! 

Us Texans and folks east of of make the trips to Moab and that is in your back yard.  Make the effort and come to Big Bend, you won't regret it!

This rally would be short on fun with out you and lady Swarowski.

Olga and I will be there for sure. Can't wait to see y'all my friends again. How is the booking done this year?.

bajarat said:
0% chance Mike! 

True, but most of you are retired.  We were just sitting here talking about it and we may not be able to come for the entire week because it will probably take three days traveling each way.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
True, but most of you are retired.  We were just sitting here talking about it and we may not be able to come for the entire week because it will probably take three days traveling each way.

Mike.
Understand Mike,

Mapquest says 17:45 by car.....don't know if you have done 10 hour days in your bus or not  ;)

We would sure love to see you and Chrystal there!

Charles and I will be there.  Enjoyed the rally in Palo Duro so much, we wouldn't miss this one!!

Robin

We also hope to make Big Bend this year after missing Palo Duro. Mike, why don't you guys just take the whole month of April off, and we'll go from Big Bend to Elephant Butte,NM for the FMCA Jeep Rally. Now that would be a nice vacation for you guys still working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom