Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to see a few people will not be making it to Big Bend. We will miss you guys. Let me remind those that are coming to stock up on groceries and ammunition.
  Gary, Larry and myself are going to meet a few days earlier and pre run some of the trails and set up a agenda. There will be several things to do each day. Like Mike said nothing will be set in stone.
  To my buddy Neal we will be back in the Conroe area around the 13th of March. We will be staying at Sunset and meeting up with Larry and Loretta. Also our friend from Australia are coming in for the party at Big Bend.

Henry Wishard said:
Let me remind those that are coming to stock up on groceries and ammunition.

My hell Henry, stock up on ammo????  How far in the boonies are we going to be where we have to hunt for our own food? ;)  And how poor of shots are you guys that you need to throw more than one bullet at something? ;D

Mike.

Mike you really don't know how far from civilization you will be. So bring a real sharp knife so we can skin out some of the Javelinas. That a pig to you city folks! Actually a peccary or skunk pig.  The closest Walmart is way over a hundred miles. Maybe Larry will bring some reloading equipment in case you run out.

Henry Wishard said:
Mike you really don't know how far from civilization you will be. So bring a real sharp knife so we can skin out some of the Javelinas. That a pig to you city folks! Actually a peccary or skunk pig.  The closest Walmart is way over a hundred miles. Maybe Larry will bring some reloading equipment in case you run out.

AWESOME!!!  I will look forward to some Texas cooked pig by the master then. ;)

Mike.

Looks like I may want to come a few days early and pre run some trails with you guys.

Sorry Mike, just trying to get you guys to move your retirement date up. Otherwise we'll all be so old we won't be able to keep up with you two.

Gary you are certainly welcome to come early. I am not sure yet how early I will arrive. It all depends on the Grandchildren stock show in Conroe. We are hoping it is over by the Wednesday before the Rally and hopefully be there by Thursday evening.
  Gary and Larry might be there Wednesday. They will have to give you some input.

Sounds good Henry, I'm going to plan on coming two or three days early.

Hi Henty. We are back in Conroe, parked at Woodland Lakes. Give us a shout when you get back and we will try to come up to the lake to visit. Looking forward to Big Bend trip.
Neal

Sorry to get off topic of the rally but Chrystal and I have a few questions for you "Texan's".  We are looking at our stopping over points and was curious as to you Texas travelers where you have stopped and if you can recommend someplace for a night stopover.  I think we are going to push hard on day one and make it to Albuquerque (630-miles) and then it doesn't look like much else between there and Lajitas so we were thinking of El Paso.  Then from El Paso into the rally on Sunday.  Can anyone recommend a place in or around the El Paso area for a quick over-nighter and possibly someplace to eat that if in El Paso you just cannot miss?

Then on the leaving the rally, has anyone been to Roswell, NM?  We have never been there and thought we might take a slightly different route leaving and stop over for a night in Roswell, NM and get all aliened out.  Thought it might be kind of neat to see.  Is it worth it or not?  Where have you stayed in Roswell that you would recommend?

Also open to any other options coming via the Northern Utah route.

Thanks.

Mike.

Mike,

Andrea and I did a stopover in Roswell a few years ago.  We went to the UFO Museum and out to eat that night.  I consider the place to be a bust.

However, we did stop at Elephant Butte Lake State Park for a night on a recent trip and it was so beautiful we stayed another day.  It has super easy access from I-25 and is at the same latitude as Roswell.  It might be easier if you stay there as it will be quick to get back on the interstate and and not have to navigate secondary roads from Roswell to Texas.

Just to mention, there are a few great Jeep trails in the area.  We hit a trail for several hours that meandered in and out of a riverbed in a beautiful canyon.  Roscoe has done the same trail before as well.  I know you won't have the time but I wanted to throw that out.  It is $14/night w/o sewage, $18 with.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/elephantbuttelakestatepark.html

See you guys in Texas !

Gary

Roswell is a good stop. We recommend it, but don?t expect too much. We stayed a couple days last year. The international UFO museum and research center (small entrance fee) is a must stop, and is worth seeing for the ones of us who ?want to believe? that the ?truth is out there?. There are tons of documents and pictures of the saucer crash and ?cover-up? (be prepared for lots of reading) and background to satisfy your inner geek. Plan for an hour or two. The actual ?crash site? is quite a way out of town, and I?m not sure it is worth the trip. There are lots of other alien related attractions around town, and all will be glad to take your money. Plant tongue fully in cheek and just enjoy the kitsch and have fun.

We stayed at Bottomless Lakes state park, about 10 miles east of Roswell. The RV sites are well spaced and had water and 20/30/50A electric. Dump station at the campground, and a few sites have sewer connection. The string of small lakes have an interesting geology, and the largest is popular with the locals for swimming, paddleboats, canoeing and kayaks. There is a small but nice museum at the visitor center on the formation of the lakes and history. Hiking trails and a bird watching area round out the attractions. I will recommend staying there. The only drawback is that there is quite a fly population, attracted to the water. Annoying, but otherwise a great place.

See you at Big Bend
Dan

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the recap.

For those familiar with the El Paso area, any recommendations and must sees?

I was looking last night and there is a new KOA in Anthony, just north of El Paso that looks to be easy on/off of I-10 unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks.

Mike.

There's a rather new NP in the Guadalupe Mts, IIRC kinda NE of El Paso.  We've never been there but are talking about a stop there on the way to BBNP.  Any thoughts?

Howdy folks,

We've been wanting to visit BBNP since forever... and no better occasion than a forum rally! We wish we could join you in this one, but we won't be able to return to the US until next year... :-/

Hope you folks have loads of fun, and then organize another one for 2017/2018 so we can join you.

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

taoshum said:
There's a rather new NP in the Guadalupe Mts, IIRC kinda NE of El Paso.  We've never been there but are talking about a stop there on the way to BBNP.  Any thoughts?

Guadalupe Mountains National Park opened in 1972 -

You can take 6 hour round trip hike to Guadalupe Peak, the highest point in Texas. 8,751 ft

They have overnight RV parking. There are no RV services available, just parking.

The way I see El paso for rv parks would be a no go for me, my lady said Mission RV is right of 10 and 375 loop. Anthony n m would be my choise close to holiday world. Where south of Elephant Butte around 460 miles from the Maverick Ranch rally. Sierra Blanca or van horn  will make out rest area.Looking forward to the rally in April.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom