EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24  (Read 56883 times)

THEBigLarry

• ---
  • If a Hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical issue
Re: Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24
« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2016, 06:55:39 AM »
New friends George and Diane Martin  are going to  join us and will arrive on Saturday.  Please welcome them as newcomers.  They were with us on our Elephant Butte FMCA 4 Wheeler Jeep with a bright yellow jeep!

Terry and Betty  will arrive  on Sunday .
So excited to see everyone!
BB

Su Amiga es Mi Amiga. . . . .  Looking forward to making new friends
Larry and Loretta Dodd
2007 American Eagle 42' 500 Big Horses
2014 Jeep Rubicon  "LoLa II"
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Living Life at Full Throttle!  
FULL TIME as of Aug 1, 2014.

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2016, 06:58:21 AM »
I hope everyone gets this note before they strike off on the road.

Our MEET & GREET will be held on the veranda by the pool in the center of the park
on Sunday.  We will begin about 4 pm and will go on until we can't go no more. 
Bring your own 'beverages' and let's not worry about snacks etc. for this initial meeting.

We will provide information on the MANY activities that Gary, Henry & I have come
up with and will set up a schedule to attempt to get them all done this week.

This is going to be fun.  Weather here is quite warm during the day, and the nights are
cool. 

For the Team. . . .   THE Big Larry
Larry and Loretta Dodd

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
« Reply #242 on: April 15, 2016, 08:21:05 AM »
   Margaret and I arrived yesterday just before Olga and Jan. 4 couples here as of now. We had a nice happy hour in the shade. Just a tad warm during the evening and cool at night. Looking forward for the rest of you to show up. God Bless Texas
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #243 on: April 15, 2016, 11:21:08 AM »
Jim and Tarry Johnson will not be making the rally.  Hope you all have a great time.
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
Inquiring minds want to know how well our Verizon phones will work?  Did  someone say the  park  wifi is good?
BB
Betty Brewer

see where we are

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Inquiring minds want to know how well our Verizon phones will work?  Did  someone say the  park  wifi is good?
BB

Park Wi-Fi is adequate for Email / Facebook and the occasional other contact.  Netflix, streaming, Skype and
other applications requiring higher speeds likely won't work.  Our AT&T is 2 bars or so.  Jan and Olga are on
Verizon and report adequate as well.

You won't have time to do much on the internet anyway. . . . . .  We plan to keep you busy.

THE Big Larry
Larry and Loretta Dodd

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »
You won't have time to do much on the internet anyway. . . . . .  We plan to keep you busy.

LOL  (lots of  laughs)
thumbs up
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2016, 03:47:29 PM »

LOL  (lots of  laughs)
thumbs up
Yes, we are all inside taking a nap right now. Power nap of course.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »
Well, just because you're busy, don't forget those of us who can't be there.  We'll be waiting for reports and pictures!  Have fun, y'all.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »
BB

Betty
Free Wifi in the park is good only for e-mail or Facebook. But struggle in peek hours
Australian travelling US in  ACE 29.2
http://www.aussiepythons.com/

jerryg@deb

• ---
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »
Betty how was the T or C rally this year ? Other the the rain I'm sure a lot of fun . The first event I went to in T or C was 7 year ago there was big  rocks and cement barricades set up for a course , they also had a huge crane set up with strap lifting jeep up that got high centered craziest thing I ever seen.  I here from Silive she is up in Mohave working and taking her  jeep on some wild trips.
Jerry Elephant Butte N M .                            2500  2013 Durmax  LML LTZ, Z 71
2015 311 Keystone Impact Toy Hauler
24 FT pontoon party craft 125 Mercury out board
Two 350 Yamaha 4 wheeler s
1970 JD 350 crawler loader
2016 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra.

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »
How much firewood is needed?  We are bringing some in a big plastic tub to keep it dry but we can fit much more in the bed of the truck if needed.
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Becks

• ---
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
Gary and Darlene arrived at noon today. Our Verizon phones are saying 3G with 2 bars inside motorhome closed up with the air running.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon/2003 Honda CRV

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
As of Saturday evening 7 RV's has arrived. Looking forward to seeing the rest of you folks.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2016, 07:30:24 AM »
How much firewood is needed?  We are bringing some in a big plastic tub to keep it dry but we can fit much more in the bed of the truck if needed.

Load some in the bed if you have time and space. . . .
Larry and Loretta Dodd

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2016, 08:09:17 PM »
Lots of RVForum coaches/RV's here now, Big Larry gave us a thorough rundown on the week starting tomorrow. 

Toasty warm here, snow at home...

toot, toot.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2016, 10:03:55 PM »
The RVForum  Big Bend Rally is in Full swing.  An orientation meeting was held tonight at the Maverick RV Park in their beautiful ( but echoey)  hall) and  lasted 2 plus hours  with tons of details on what to do and when for the whole week.  While I was taking copious notes I shall only attempt  one day at a time to report on next day activities. Please recall  RV plans are always in Jello.

1. Welcome said Big Larry a couple of times.
2. Safety talk...  call 911 if you fall off your ladder or use your car alarm to  shout out to the rest of us as phone service may be limited. FMCAssist emergency help is available  for FMCA members ( see separate post)
3 Introductions... wear a name tag and  welcome to all  newly found members!  Some were circling the park over and over so were invited to join us!
4. Two groups will set out in the morning. BOTH leave at 8:30 am. Despite what you were told at meeting.  One will follow  Gary    30 miles  over pavement and then a dirt road to the  border of Mexico.  Bring passports have lunch in  Mexico.  Henry  will lead the group who wants to go on the paved road to the  Mexico   point.  Park in lot and take a row boat over the river to Mexico.  Lunch, shopping will be available.Bring $ 1 dollar bills or 5's  We will all go by hot springs so bring towel and suits if you wanna soak ( or come back another day)

Lots of restaurants were mentioned but Gary really likes Starlight Theatre and Maribitos went there tonight and confirmed its rating  of  very good!! Monday night  they have a 2 for 1 cheeseburger .  Happy hour daily at 5 to nail down   plan of the next day.

Rough schedule:
Tuesday  shooting day, bring your chairs and lunch  or hike  6 miles .    Fish fry at night  .. bring a side dish.
Wednesday - Free Day  but  a challenging Jeep trail will run to the State Park ($5)  and at 5pm  leave for a trip to old mining camp and local musician $5 donation .  Bring a  hotdog to  roast or your lunch   or eat before hand.
Thursday  --All day Jeep trail any vehicle  can go. Pizza at a local place and sign up Wed if interested.
Friday Rough rocky trail Jeep ride
Saturday-  AM hike to  waterfall ( 2 miles) Grill night , bring your own meat and cook your own and bring a side dish.

The hosts did a wonderful job of letting us know where to get fuel, groceries and restaurants but my shorthand is not so good. Hope you were listening well !
Photos to follow.

I am excited to make  new friends and explore this new to us area!

After the meeting,   several groups gathered outside their  RV's for fellowship.  So  never ever just go  to to your rig and stay there.  Wander the park to see what's happening!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:31:34 AM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Photog

• ---
« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
Tax season ends today.  8)  Wish I was there!!  :)
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

FrankW

• ---
  • Full-Timing since 2005
    • Our Location
« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »
Sorry Barb and I weren't able to attend this rally...the "Rough Schedule" looks like a whole lot of good ole Texas fun
Y'all be safe and keep the posts and pics coming
Frank
Frank Weimert
2003 NRV Tradewinds LTC
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #259 on: April 18, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »
We did 186 miles of hiway and 2.5 rated back roads today led by Bajarat and topped it off with 2 for 1 CheezeBurgers at the Starlight Theater/Restaurant.  Great stools on the front portal.  Nice weather with a mix of clouds, mist, some rain and more sunshine.  We must be at the western edge of the massive storms sweeping through central and east Tx these days. 

We get to go shooting tomorrow.
Taos, NM.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »
Well RVForum friends,

This is the first time  since I have been attending many, many happy RVForum Rallies that I  missed  happy hour! I've learned Awards were presented and I will catch up with details on recipients and do photos later.   If you recall we said all RVForum activities are planned in Jello.  Well I had  3  such events today.  I will call them CLOSINGS!

We left Maverick  RV Park at 8:25 for  8:30 departure  to  a Big Bend Run and trip to Mexico. I packed  light snacks (2 cheese sticks,a few  carrots and 3 radishes.) as lunch in Mexico was the PLAN!  Had  lots of bottled water for  the expected high temperatures.  Well it was very cool, misting which turned into a rain as we hit the air down spot. The first closing was a  GATE across the trail.  Gary  quickly  regrouped and led the  8 4 wheel drive vehicles another way that did not involve crossing that private ranch. Seems it is  prime season for blooms on prickly pear cactus. They were plentiful. Signage at Big Bend is  very clear but not so accurate.  Sign said Telephone Canyon but  NO CELL SERVICE was available all day . Beautiful mountain ranges were evident all day with flowing clouds. Gary P  said it was Mexico and  so nice!  The second closing of the day was Boquillas  Crossing which was our way into  Mexico.  Seems they are closed every Monday and Tuesday.  (I'm sure there is an award in there!)   This was  going to  be our lunch spot and since we hit the gate at  nearly 3:30 in the afternoon, the snacks were gone, the hunger factor was BIG so we headed to the  advertised Starlight Theatre restaurant for their 2 for  1  burgers!  Guess what?  They were closed! Only had to  wait 30 minutes for them to open but with  no lunch, an early dinner was imperative! Thus no  happy hour. 

We did have fun with their  bar stools as pictured. With full tummies we are again Happy Campers.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:16:26 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2016, 11:27:01 PM »
Again I can only  tell RVForum rally participants to  walk the  park in evening and follow the laughter to hear stories of the day.  We are relieved that the  IRS letter we received in our mail packet yesterday has been resolved.  We did not steal our  own identity and our refund is "in the mail" within  9 weeks!   

Tomorrow folks will go shooting, hiking or choice of  activity.  I made  part of my potluck dish to share tonight! ( Crispy  cabbage coleslaw)  my  stand by dish! Should go well with the fish fry!

And I'm not kidding, those of you who won an award tonight will be captured tomorrow! If you won an award you will be responsible for d presenting it to someone else tomorrow.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2016, 12:42:51 AM »
Thanks for the pics Betty.  I, like Bill, am just surfacing from tax season.  REALLY missing the fact that we can't be there.  It seems like forever since we've been with our forum framily.  Best to all our friends who are there.  Keep the info coming.  Living vicariously through all of you.

Steve & Dee
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #263 on: April 19, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »
Well the awards were handed out on the first day of our Big Bend Rally.

"THE SHERRIF" award went to Don Nesbitt for 'taking charge' of things during the Henry Wishard Paved Roads trip to Boquillas Mexico.  I am not sure what Don did, but Henry, who handed out the awards, said he was large and in charge during the trip, so Don is The Sherrif. 

The Care Bear was handed out by Henry to Neal Brussell.  I understand it had something to do with helping a lady out of the Hot Springs where their group stopped.  What guy would not want to help a lady out of a hot tub.   I am thinking there might have been ulterior motives here, but Neal always the gentleman jumped in (figuratively) to help her out.

The GOOFY award was given to our Co-Host Gary Phillips.  The day had a number of ups and downs as Betty Brewer's post outlines.  It's odd when you go to visit a foreign country, and find it closed.  However Henry & I also took some of the heat and we accepted the Goofy award for all of us. 

A good day was had by all and many of our group wound up at the Starlight Theatre for half price burgers which were excellent, or enjoyed food and fellowship with friends and family. 

We look forward to todays adventures....
Larry and Loretta Dodd

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #264 on: April 19, 2016, 07:48:04 AM »
  The pavement group had a fun day with a few minor set backs. Started the day with 8 vehicles and headed for the Terlingua cemetery and Ghost Town. We then headed into the park to visit the Basin which was socked in with clouds and rain. We found out at the visitor center that the crossing at Boquillas was closed on Monday and Tuesday. Leaving the Basin we arrived at Panther Junction for a 20 minute film of the Park.
   We then proceeded to the Hot Springs and was right away greeted with a 4-5 ft. snake. Harmless Coach Whip! Walked around the area visiting the Hot Springs and other points of interest in the area. Our last stop was the lookout at Boquillas Canyon. It was a fun day by all.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #265 on: April 19, 2016, 09:25:15 PM »
Today we went to the "range" and exercised a rich inventory of firearms.  A wide variety of pistols, 9mm, 357 cal, 380 cal, 45 cal, 38 cal... re.volvers and semi-automatics.  Then we moved into the long guns... another wide variety from 22 cal to the big bore guns that can reach hundreds of yards.  In a parallel site, the shotguns were focussed on clay pigeons that were colored orange.  After that we played some golf at the incredible Lajitas Resort Golf course... hole after hole of long par 5's and a variety of greens and elevated tee boxes.  If the cart paths were on a Jeep trail, surely it would have been rated a 4 in steep switchbacks.  The evening gathering featured Henry's and Big L's fish fry... fresh fried catfish caught fresh from a Texas Lake with a variety of potluck veggies, salads and deserts.  Very tasty.
Taos, NM.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »
Great pix everyone!  Sounds like a typical RV Forum rally with events changing as the jello moves!  I love it when a country closes!  However such a little detail never deters this family!  I'm sure Henry's fish were wonderful too!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
A huge thank you to Henry and Larry for catching the catfish and frying it up tonight. There were many helping hands during the fish fry and a lot of great side dishes from all our forum friends.

Ron's slideshow was as amazing as always, he has such a talent.

Mike & Chrystal.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Becks

• ---
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »
As said, we are all having fun and going to bed each night very tired. And eating to much as usual, but thanks guys for the good fish fry. And for those not here we have heard mentioned often it is just not the same without so and so hear. Time to get to bed now, things start early again tomorrow.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon/2003 Honda CRV

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2016, 10:57:53 PM »
I was appointed tonight as  club photographer for the evening.  I was delighted that awards were posted last night and I  have more for tonight. Subject to all corrections and additions!

The Armadillo/Sheriff  was given to a grinning  Suzanne as as woman who shot almost all the weapons today  like a pro. As a first time, no experience whatsoever  person, I am told  she may  have  fired the most rounds today.  Pictured with her is  her faithful mentor Charles who gave her pointers, lessons and moral support today.

Neal presented Andrea the Texas Bear Award to Andrea who led 6 of us on a 6 plus mile hike through the Big  Bend State Park today on Fresno trail. It was gorgeous with beautiful  cactus blooms and very  toasty weather!  She got  us all back safe and sound  even with a trip to the Rio Grande where we decided not to wade across the river to Mexico. I show  over 19,000 steps today!

Betty  presented Goofy to Mary Ann  as she continued to drop her water bottles on this hot desert hike.  One such drop resulted in a punctured bottle and we all scrambled to save every drop!  Water is a precious commodity in the desert!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Hosted by Over The Network