Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty Brewer said:
New friends George and Diane Martin  are going to  join us and will arrive on Saturday.  Please welcome them as newcomers.  They were with us on our Elephant Butte FMCA 4 Wheeler Jeep with a bright yellow jeep!

Terry and Betty  will arrive  on Sunday .
So excited to see everyone!
BB

Su Amiga es Mi Amiga. . . . .  Looking forward to making new friends

I hope everyone gets this note before they strike off on the road.

Our MEET & GREET will be held on the veranda by the pool in the center of the park
on Sunday.  We will begin about 4 pm and will go on until we can't go no more. 
Bring your own 'beverages' and let's not worry about snacks etc. for this initial meeting.

We will provide information on the MANY activities that Gary, Henry & I have come
up with and will set up a schedule to attempt to get them all done this week.

This is going to be fun.  Weather here is quite warm during the day, and the nights are
cool. 

For the Team. . . .  THE Big Larry

Margaret and I arrived yesterday just before Olga and Jan. 4 couples here as of now. We had a nice happy hour in the shade. Just a tad warm during the evening and cool at night. Looking forward for the rest of you to show up. God Bless Texas

Inquiring minds want to know how well our Verizon phones will work?  Did  someone say the  park  wifi is good?
BB

Betty Brewer said:
Inquiring minds want to know how well our Verizon phones will work?  Did  someone say the  park  wifi is good?
BB

Park Wi-Fi is adequate for Email / Facebook and the occasional other contact.  Netflix, streaming, Skype and
other applications requiring higher speeds likely won't work.  Our AT&T is 2 bars or so.  Jan and Olga are on
Verizon and report adequate as well.

You won't have time to do much on the internet anyway. . . . . .  We plan to keep you busy.

THE Big Larry

Well, just because you're busy, don't forget those of us who can't be there.  We'll be waiting for reports and pictures!  Have fun, y'all.

ArdraF

Betty Brewer said:
BB

Betty
Free Wifi in the park is good only for e-mail or Facebook. But struggle in peek hours

Betty how was the T or C rally this year ? Other the the rain I'm sure a lot of fun . The first event I went to in T or C was 7 year ago there was big  rocks and cement barricades set up for a course , they also had a huge crane set up with strap lifting jeep up that got high centered craziest thing I ever seen.  I here from Silive she is up in Mohave working and taking her  jeep on some wild trips.

How much firewood is needed?  We are bringing some in a big plastic tub to keep it dry but we can fit much more in the bed of the truck if needed.

Gary and Darlene arrived at noon today. Our Verizon phones are saying 3G with 2 bars inside motorhome closed up with the air running.

Roadhappy said:
How much firewood is needed?  We are bringing some in a big plastic tub to keep it dry but we can fit much more in the bed of the truck if needed.

Load some in the bed if you have time and space. . . .

Lots of RVForum coaches/RV's here now, Big Larry gave us a thorough rundown on the week starting tomorrow. 

Toasty warm here, snow at home...

toot, toot.

The RVForum  Big Bend Rally is in Full swing.  An orientation meeting was held tonight at the Maverick RV Park in their beautiful ( but echoey)  hall) and  lasted 2 plus hours  with tons of details on what to do and when for the whole week.  While I was taking copious notes I shall only attempt  one day at a time to report on next day activities. Please recall  RV plans are always in Jello.

1. Welcome said Big Larry a couple of times.
2. Safety talk...  call 911 if you fall off your ladder or use your car alarm to  shout out to the rest of us as phone service may be limited. FMCAssist emergency help is available  for FMCA members ( see separate post)
3 Introductions... wear a name tag and  welcome to all  newly found members!  Some were circling the park over and over so were invited to join us!
4. Two groups will set out in the morning. BOTH leave at 8:30 am. Despite what you were told at meeting.  One will follow  Gary    30 miles  over pavement and then a dirt road to the  border of Mexico.  Bring passports have lunch in  Mexico.  Henry  will lead the group who wants to go on the paved road to the  Mexico  point.  Park in lot and take a row boat over the river to Mexico.  Lunch, shopping will be available.Bring $ 1 dollar bills or 5's  We will all go by hot springs so bring towel and suits if you wanna soak ( or come back another day)

Lots of restaurants were mentioned but Gary really likes Starlight Theatre and Maribitos went there tonight and confirmed its rating  of  very good!! Monday night  they have a 2 for 1 cheeseburger .  Happy hour daily at 5 to nail down  plan of the next day.

Rough schedule:
Tuesday  shooting day, bring your chairs and lunch  or hike  6 miles .    Fish fry at night  .. bring a side dish.
Wednesday - Free Day  but  a challenging Jeep trail will run to the State Park ($5)  and at 5pm  leave for a trip to old mining camp and local musician $5 donation .  Bring a  hotdog to  roast or your lunch  or eat before hand.
Thursday  --All day Jeep trail any vehicle  can go. Pizza at a local place and sign up Wed if interested.
Friday Rough rocky trail Jeep ride
Saturday-  AM hike to  waterfall ( 2 miles) Grill night , bring your own meat and cook your own and bring a side dish.

The hosts did a wonderful job of letting us know where to get fuel, groceries and restaurants but my shorthand is not so good. Hope you were listening well !
Photos to follow.

I am excited to make  new friends and explore this new to us area!

After the meeting,  several groups gathered outside their  RV's for fellowship.  So  never ever just go  to to your rig and stay there.  Wander the park to see what's happening!

Sorry Barb and I weren't able to attend this rally...the "Rough Schedule" looks like a whole lot of good ole Texas fun
Y'all be safe and keep the posts and pics coming
Frank

We did 186 miles of hiway and 2.5 rated back roads today led by Bajarat and topped it off with 2 for 1 CheezeBurgers at the Starlight Theater/Restaurant.  Great stools on the front portal.  Nice weather with a mix of clouds, mist, some rain and more sunshine.  We must be at the western edge of the massive storms sweeping through central and east Tx these days. 

We get to go shooting tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom