Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well RVForum friends,

This is the first time  since I have been attending many, many happy RVForum Rallies that I  missed  happy hour! I've learned Awards were presented and I will catch up with details on recipients and do photos later.  If you recall we said all RVForum activities are planned in Jello.  Well I had  3  such events today.  I will call them CLOSINGS!

We left Maverick  RV Park at 8:25 for  8:30 departure  to  a Big Bend Run and trip to Mexico. I packed  light snacks (2 cheese sticks,a few  carrots and 3 radishes.) as lunch in Mexico was the PLAN!  Had  lots of bottled water for  the expected high temperatures.  Well it was very cool, misting which turned into a rain as we hit the air down spot. The first closing was a  GATE across the trail.  Gary  quickly  regrouped and led the  8 4 wheel drive vehicles another way that did not involve crossing that private ranch. Seems it is  prime season for blooms on prickly pear cactus. They were plentiful. Signage at Big Bend is  very clear but not so accurate.  Sign said Telephone Canyon but  NO CELL SERVICE was available all day . Beautiful mountain ranges were evident all day with flowing clouds. Gary P  said it was Mexico and  so nice!  The second closing of the day was Boquillas  Crossing which was our way into  Mexico.  Seems they are closed every Monday and Tuesday.  (I'm sure there is an award in there!)  This was  going to  be our lunch spot and since we hit the gate at  nearly 3:30 in the afternoon, the snacks were gone, the hunger factor was BIG so we headed to the  advertised Starlight Theatre restaurant for their 2 for  1  burgers!  Guess what?  They were closed! Only had to  wait 30 minutes for them to open but with  no lunch, an early dinner was imperative! Thus no  happy hour. 

We did have fun with their  bar stools as pictured. With full tummies we are again Happy Campers.

Attachments

• Closed gate.JPG
    Closed gate.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 39
  • Prickley pear cactus.JPG
    Prickley pear cactus.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 31
  • Telephone Canyon.JPG
    Telephone Canyon.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Peaks.JPG
    Peaks.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 33
  • Mexico is closed.JPG
    Mexico is closed.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Theatre Closed.JPG
    Theatre Closed.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 39
  • Betty's Seat.JPG
    Betty's Seat.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 46
Again I can only  tell RVForum rally participants to  walk the  park in evening and follow the laughter to hear stories of the day.  We are relieved that the  IRS letter we received in our mail packet yesterday has been resolved.  We did not steal our  own identity and our refund is "in the mail" within  9 weeks! 

Tomorrow folks will go shooting, hiking or choice of  activity.  I made  part of my potluck dish to share tonight! ( Crispy  cabbage coleslaw)  my  stand by dish! Should go well with the fish fry!

And I'm not kidding, those of you who won an award tonight will be captured tomorrow! If you won an award you will be responsible for d presenting it to someone else tomorrow.

Thanks for the pics Betty.  I, like Bill, am just surfacing from tax season.  REALLY missing the fact that we can't be there.  It seems like forever since we've been with our forum framily.  Best to all our friends who are there.  Keep the info coming.  Living vicariously through all of you.

Steve & Dee

Well the awards were handed out on the first day of our Big Bend Rally.

"THE SHERRIF" award went to Don Nesbitt for 'taking charge' of things during the Henry Wishard Paved Roads trip to Boquillas Mexico.  I am not sure what Don did, but Henry, who handed out the awards, said he was large and in charge during the trip, so Don is The Sherrif. 

The Care Bear was handed out by Henry to Neal Brussell.  I understand it had something to do with helping a lady out of the Hot Springs where their group stopped.  What guy would not want to help a lady out of a hot tub.  I am thinking there might have been ulterior motives here, but Neal always the gentleman jumped in (figuratively) to help her out.

The GOOFY award was given to our Co-Host Gary Phillips.  The day had a number of ups and downs as Betty Brewer's post outlines.  It's odd when you go to visit a foreign country, and find it closed.  However Henry & I also took some of the heat and we accepted the Goofy award for all of us. 

A good day was had by all and many of our group wound up at the Starlight Theatre for half price burgers which were excellent, or enjoyed food and fellowship with friends and family. 

We look forward to todays adventures....

Attachments

• IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2441.JPG
    IMG_2441.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 37
  The pavement group had a fun day with a few minor set backs. Started the day with 8 vehicles and headed for the Terlingua cemetery and Ghost Town. We then headed into the park to visit the Basin which was socked in with clouds and rain. We found out at the visitor center that the crossing at Boquillas was closed on Monday and Tuesday. Leaving the Basin we arrived at Panther Junction for a 20 minute film of the Park.
  We then proceeded to the Hot Springs and was right away greeted with a 4-5 ft. snake. Harmless Coach Whip! Walked around the area visiting the Hot Springs and other points of interest in the area. Our last stop was the lookout at Boquillas Canyon. It was a fun day by all.

Attachments

• 1-Big Bend 1st day activity 016.JPG
    1-Big Bend 1st day activity 016.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 1-Big Bend 1st day activity 020.JPG
    1-Big Bend 1st day activity 020.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 1-Big Bend 1st day activity 021.JPG
    1-Big Bend 1st day activity 021.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 1-Big Bend 1st day activity 024.JPG
    1-Big Bend 1st day activity 024.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 1-Big Bend 1st day activity 028.JPG
    1-Big Bend 1st day activity 028.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 1-Big Bend 1st day activity 029.JPG
    1-Big Bend 1st day activity 029.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1-Big Bend 1st day activity 032.JPG
    1-Big Bend 1st day activity 032.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 50
Today we went to the "range" and exercised a rich inventory of firearms.  A wide variety of pistols, 9mm, 357 cal, 380 cal, 45 cal, 38 cal... re.volvers and semi-automatics.  Then we moved into the long guns... another wide variety from 22 cal to the big bore guns that can reach hundreds of yards.  In a parallel site, the shotguns were focussed on clay pigeons that were colored orange.  After that we played some golf at the incredible Lajitas Resort Golf course... hole after hole of long par 5's and a variety of greens and elevated tee boxes.  If the cart paths were on a Jeep trail, surely it would have been rated a 4 in steep switchbacks.  The evening gathering featured Henry's and Big L's fish fry... fresh fried catfish caught fresh from a Texas Lake with a variety of potluck veggies, salads and deserts.  Very tasty.

Attachments

• BB Event (1) (Medium).jpg
    BB Event (1) (Medium).jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 33
  • BB Event (2) (Medium).jpg
    BB Event (2) (Medium).jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 35
  • BB Event (3) (Medium).jpg
    BB Event (3) (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 31
  • BB Event (4) (Medium).jpg
    BB Event (4) (Medium).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 25
  • BB Event (5) (Medium).jpg
    BB Event (5) (Medium).jpg
    185 KB · Views: 28
  • BB Event (6) (Medium).jpg
    BB Event (6) (Medium).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 30
  • BB Event (7) (Medium).jpg
    BB Event (7) (Medium).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 38
Great pix everyone!  Sounds like a typical RV Forum rally with events changing as the jello moves!  I love it when a country closes!  However such a little detail never deters this family!  I'm sure Henry's fish were wonderful too!

ArdraF

A huge thank you to Henry and Larry for catching the catfish and frying it up tonight. There were many helping hands during the fish fry and a lot of great side dishes from all our forum friends.

Ron's slideshow was as amazing as always, he has such a talent.

Mike & Chrystal.

As said, we are all having fun and going to bed each night very tired. And eating to much as usual, but thanks guys for the good fish fry. And for those not here we have heard mentioned often it is just not the same without so and so hear. Time to get to bed now, things start early again tomorrow.

I was appointed tonight as  club photographer for the evening.  I was delighted that awards were posted last night and I  have more for tonight. Subject to all corrections and additions!

The Armadillo/Sheriff  was given to a grinning  Suzanne as as woman who shot almost all the weapons today  like a pro. As a first time, no experience whatsoever  person, I am told  she may  have  fired the most rounds today.  Pictured with her is  her faithful mentor Charles who gave her pointers, lessons and moral support today.

Neal presented Andrea the Texas Bear Award to Andrea who led 6 of us on a 6 plus mile hike through the Big  Bend State Park today on Fresno trail. It was gorgeous with beautiful  cactus blooms and very  toasty weather!  She got  us all back safe and sound  even with a trip to the Rio Grande where we decided not to wade across the river to Mexico. I show  over 19,000 steps today!

Betty  presented Goofy to Mary Ann  as she continued to drop her water bottles on this hot desert hike.  One such drop resulted in a punctured bottle and we all scrambled to save every drop!  Water is a precious commodity in the desert!

Attachments

• Suzanne  Wins! .JPG
    Suzanne Wins! .JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Andrea Wins Texas CAre Bears.JPG
    Andrea Wins Texas CAre Bears.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Hikers at Rio Grande.JPG
    Hikers at Rio Grande.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Mary Ann gets Goofy.JPG
    Mary Ann gets Goofy.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 32
Our fishermen, cooks and co hosts shined tonight as they prepared and served a fish fry, hushpuppies and the rest of us rounded out the feast with our side dishes! Yum and thank you

Thanks were  given to Gary P who arranged the shooting target range location today as the former landowner of the area. Such a unique opportunity for folks at a rally!

Rounding out the day was another exquisite slide show  presented by Ron M.  A photo cannot begin to capture his works so I just got a screen shot of his first  slide!  Classical guitar music was a calming end to our tiring busy day!

Final photo show  the new RVForum  motto with  bumper stickers presented by Alan to Betty and Sheila!

Trip to  Mexico on the agenda in morning,  one more try!

Attachments

• Fishermen :cooks .JPG
    Fishermen :cooks .JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Marabito Slides show .JPG
    Marabito Slides show .JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 40
  • RVForum Motto.JPG
    RVForum Motto.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 47
Today, we went to Mexico!  Viva Mexico.  Turns out the trip to Mexico involves driving into BBNP, then going to the Boquillas Crossing, going thru a US Border Facility, taking the seronated ferry across the Rio Grande and then chartering a guide plus a burro to go to the village of  Boquillas.  Here find a village of 285 people that reflects the juxtaposition of a small remote village with no paved streets but operating on 100% renewable solar energy, a gravity fed water utility and satellite dish phone/TV.  The nearest gasoline station requires a 4 hour drive of 160km.  Simple yet sophisticated at the same time.  There are few other places in the world that have 100% renewable energy with a battery system for the time when the sun doesn't shine.  The landscape photos illustrate the perception of distance by using color... light blue for the mountains in the background but more intense blue of the mountains in the midrange and reds/greens for the foreground.  Interesting.

Attachments

• BB2 Event (9).jpg
    BB2 Event (9).jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 38
  • BB2 Event (8).jpg
    BB2 Event (8).jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 40
  • BB2 Event (11).jpg
    BB2 Event (11).jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 49
  • BB2 Event (5).jpg
    BB2 Event (5).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 37
  • BB2 Event (2).jpg
    BB2 Event (2).jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 37
  Some of the group stayed back and took the river road today. One of the most scenic roads in the area. Several drove the road all the way to Presidio, Texas

Attachments

• 1-Big Bend 4-20-16 009.JPG
    1-Big Bend 4-20-16 009.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 1-Big Bend 4-20-16 012.JPG
    1-Big Bend 4-20-16 012.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1-Big Bend 4-20-16 018.JPG
    1-Big Bend 4-20-16 018.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 1-Big Bend 4-20-16 021.JPG
    1-Big Bend 4-20-16 021.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 1-Big Bend 4-20-16 024.JPG
    1-Big Bend 4-20-16 024.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1-Big Bend 4-20-16 027.JPG
    1-Big Bend 4-20-16 027.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1-Big Bend 4-20-16 016.JPG
    1-Big Bend 4-20-16 016.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 36
Wednesday April 20, 2016.  Mid way through rally...
Awards tonight were presented in our cool air conditioned room with 94 degree temps outside.  Many of us were wilted from our day's activities. But  on with the show....

1. Andrea presented  Henry with Texas Care Bear Award for the most delicious fish fry she has ever had! Cheers all around and  total agreement!
2.  Suzanne presented Sheriff in Charge Award to Joni who gave us hints on visiting Boquillas with ones and fives for tips and  spending.  She gathered a crowd of children with her  money  give away.
3.  Mary Ann presented George the Goofy Award for getting the fastest horse at day's end and riding er uh  galloping  off like the Lone Ranger leaving his wife in the dust!

Attachments

• Henry Wins TX Care Bear .JPG
    Henry Wins TX Care Bear .JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Joni is Sheriff.JPG
    Joni is Sheriff.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 29
  • George earns Goofy.JPG
    George earns Goofy.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Goerge on Silver! .JPG
    Goerge on Silver! .JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Diane is afraid.JPG
    Diane is afraid.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 44
A highlight of our trip into Boquillas,Mexico today was the 3/4 mile mule ride into the city.  We had the choice of walking, taking a  pick up truck or taking a burro ride.  Pictured here are photos of those of us who chose to  take the burro ride.

This experience was by the way a highlight of the  entire trip!  Some had never ever riden a mule in some  40 plus years! Some wondered if their balance would be ok.

Attachments

• Sheila tries to get on  mule.JPG
    Sheila tries to get on mule.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 51
  • Sheila is on a mule! .JPG
    Sheila is on a mule! .JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Ken is on Mule .JPG
    Ken is on Mule .JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Terry rides an uncomfortable saddle .JPG
    Terry rides an uncomfortable saddle .JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Joni rides on.JPG
    Joni rides on.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 48
Early today we tried the golf course again.  Better this time but very intimidating nonetheless.

Then we took the River Road toward Presidio and attached some photos.  When we took the photo of the "Don't Cross the Border Sign", a black helicopter flew over but did not stop.  The geologic formations along the Mexico side of the river in this region, several thousand foot high cliffs..., might eliminate the need for a wall in this area... Tunnels also seem unlikely...  LOL.

The temperature reading looks blurry but blame the photographer, 101 deg!

The cloud formation photo was taken yesterday, late in the day looking East from the RV Park.  Must have been a big thunder storm?

Attachments

• BB3 Event (5).JPG
    BB3 Event (5).JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 40
  • BB3 Event (4).JPG
    BB3 Event (4).JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 34
  • BB3 Event (2).JPG
    BB3 Event (2).JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 39
  • BB3 Event (1).JPG
    BB3 Event (1).JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 42
  • BB3 Event (6).JPG
    BB3 Event (6).JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 39
Thursday was a day of  2 groups Jeeping and lots of other activities including golf, hikes, shopping and resting. Terry went for a car wash ( 50 miles away) .

Awards were their usual hoot tonight as the group has now really bonded and the real  stories and secrets are  coming out!

Jonni  presented a newly tattooed Sheriff to Gary P  for leading the  2 Jeep groups  today  with  no closed anything!

Henry presented Charles with our Texas Care Bear for helping the  pick up trucks get turned around on the trails today.  He appeared not to know he had even helped!

George  gave a  presentation  to Joint winners, Cindy and Leo.  Seems she forgot the bread for sandwiches on the run for lunch and then he forgot his chair at the mine. Topped off with the information that  Leo  forgot his  phone at Wal Mart on his way here, they won as a couple. However late information shared gave Cindy the hands down exclusive rights to Goofy today.  Seems she went into the National  Park Visitor Center to purchase  her Senior National Park Pass ( old Geezer pass to some of us)  She presented her drivers license to  the Ranger who told her she was not old enough to qualify for the Pass.  She asked,"Then how old am I?" 

She thought she was a year older than she actually is....Goofy!!!!!!

Attachments

• Gary P gets to  be Sheriff.JPG
    Gary P gets to be Sheriff.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 24
  • Charles is a  Caring Bear! .JPG
    Charles is a Caring Bear! .JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Cindy and Leo share Goofy .JPG
    Cindy and Leo share Goofy .JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Cindy Clenches GOOFY all on her own.JPG
    Cindy Clenches GOOFY all on her own.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 28
Group Pizza night was a big hit. Tables were reserved for our laughing hungry group! 

Fun night  and still warm at 9:30 tonight

Attachments

• Pizza Place .JPG
    Pizza Place .JPG
    88 KB · Views: 31
Henry Wishard said:
  Some of the group stayed back and took the river road today. One of the most scenic roads in the area. Several drove the road all the way to Presidio, Texas

Henry, it was great meeting you today at Maverick Ranch.

Your neighbors,

Russell & Janice Fife
Excel Winslow 5th wheel

Back
Top Bottom