EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24  (Read 56926 times)

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
Re: Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
              Mike, lets hear what your list consists of. Mine is huge as well, seems I never catch up and it only grows bigger with time. Having missed Q I'm ready for Texas. Hoping I can catch Lake Havasu Jeep rally on the way to Pahrump then from there to Texas. Hope the winter is going fast for you guys.
   Gary

I didn't realize you and Darlene missed QZ this year.  That's too bad.  Chrystal and I really wanted to go but this stinkin' work thing got in the way and I am wearing Chrystal down on boondocking for more than a couple of days.

Part of my list pertains to being talked into a flag pole by Terry Brewer.  I ordered a flagpole with LED lighting before Christmas and it finally showed up this week.  I have also been fabricating a Watts link for the front suspension of our coach and want to finish up the machining and get it welded into place before TX.  I think that will be a good long test drive for it.  I also want to install a new Winegard Trav'ler satellite dish before TX.  There were multiple people responsible for talking me into that one from last year's rally.  I also want to rebuild my Roadmaster Sterling tow bar before the 2016 travel season.  I have all of the parts but I just can't seem to find the time to do it.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Becks

• ---
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
Mike, sounds like you have plenty of work to keep you busy all winter. We had one of those flagpoles on our list also after seeing Terry's and others at Q last year. We are having solar installed on our coach for this years X-Mas present so should have plenty of power for a few more lights. Hope staying busy makes the winter go faster for you. Hi to Chrystal, and tell her to quit worrying about boondocking. See you soon.
    Gary
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon/2003 Honda CRV

THEBigLarry

• ---
  • If a Hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical issue
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
Henry & I bought new flag poles at Hershey PA RV show.  Here are photos of mine.
It's mounted to the 4x4 crossbar on my Hydralift.  I need to drill a hole in the bottom
of this as I found out recently it holds water.  I need to drain it.  But for now Old Glory
is flying proudly.

The LED Light on top is from Amazon.  I think it was less than $20.  They wanted a bunch
more for them at the RV show.   I guess they don't think we have internet in our coaches. . .

It looks really good at night. . . .  See you in Big Bend.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:36:29 PM by THE-BigLarry »
Larry and Loretta Dodd
2007 American Eagle 42' 500 Big Horses
2014 Jeep Rubicon  "LoLa II"
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Living Life at Full Throttle!  
FULL TIME as of Aug 1, 2014.

ferfer

• ---
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »
Jennifer and Dan are coming.  They gave us RV01.  Larry, is RV01 in in the mix with the others or should I try for a different site?

Thanks, Jennifer
2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500DS  aka QSHOUSE
Jennifer, Dan and Scooter

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2016, 06:59:56 PM »
Welcome Jennifer & Dan.  Can I get a last name for the list of attendees???

As to RV01, I have no real idea about the layout of the park.  I have looked at the map and several people
have indicated an assigned spot.  I suspect we will take over about half of the park or so.  I don't think being
in any one site will be better than another.  As long as you told them you're with RVFORUM.NET I think they
are grouping us together.

We look forward to getting to know you guys.

THE Big Larry
Larry and Loretta Dodd

ferfer

• ---
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2016, 08:18:38 PM »
Dan McBride and Jennifer Everett (ferfer)

I told her the group and dates but I had to change the departure date from 23 to 24 - so who knows what she heard?

It will all be good.

Jennifer
2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500DS  aka QSHOUSE
Jennifer, Dan and Scooter

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2016, 07:18:54 AM »
Dan McBride and Jennifer Everett (ferfer)

I told her the group and dates but I had to change the departure date from 23 to 24 - so who knows what she heard?

It will all be good.

Jennifer

Got it, and you're right about that.  It will all be good.  See you in a short few days. . . . . .

THE Big Larry
Larry and Loretta Dodd

bajarat

• ---
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2016, 07:28:20 PM »
A couple items to note:

Stock jeeps or other 4x4's will have no problem negotiating the trails we will be exploring in Big Bend.

Also, please remember from an earlier post that Maverick Ranch RV Park has a strict no light policy so everyone can enjoy the magnificent night skies.

So all of you folks that have or will be assembling your Alien landing craft flagpole lights, you will have to wait for another rally to have your Walt Griswold lights competition!

Very happy to see the attendance list grow and I look forward to sharing a part of Texas that I was connected with for many years.

Gary

bajarat

• ---
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
For people that will be making a reservation at Maverick Ranch RV Park, try calling:

That number may get you straight through to Toni, the park manager.

Please be patient as from personal experience, everything runs on 'Terlingua Time'.

Gary

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »

So all of you folks that have or will be assembling your Alien landing craft flagpole lights, you will have to wait for another rally to have your Walt Griswold lights competition!

Larry & Henry

I  suggest we  move the rally  to another location that doesn't have so many rules.<G>

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2016, 04:22:47 PM »
Larry & Henry

I  suggest we  move the rally  to another location that doesn't have so many rules.<G>

I think the nearest park might be Benson AZ. . . .
Larry and Loretta Dodd

Cool breeze1

• ---
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
Big Larry & Henry.

Neal & I are new to the group, met Henry at Sunset Shores, and learned about Big Bend trip. We have signed up with RV park to attend. Look forward to meeting everybody and seeing Henry and Mararget again.

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2016, 10:52:22 AM »
Big Larry & Henry.

Neal & I are new to the group, met Henry at Sunset Shores, and learned about Big Bend trip. We have signed up with RV park to attend. Look forward to meeting everybody and seeing Henry and Mararget again.

WELCOME! !!

Glad to have you on board.  We're only a short few weeks away from this.  I am getting VERY ready for this.
Can I get your names   First and Last for the Attendance sheet.  If you don't want your last name out there I
understand, but a first name would help. . . . . Thanks..

THE Big Larry
Larry and Loretta Dodd

Cool breeze1

• ---
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »
Neal & Gwen Brussell. Don't mind using our last name, not running from anyone - yet. Born & raised in TX but have never visited the Big Ben area. Can't wait. Thanks for getting back. 

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
Neal & Gwen Brussell. Don't mind using our last name, not running from anyone - yet. Born & raised in TX but have never visited the Big Ben area. Can't wait. Thanks for getting back.
Neal & Gwen, so glad you guys are coming. It will be great to see you both again. We have a lot of activity planned and It's just a great place to explore. Lots of hiking and sites to see.
  We will be back at Sunset Shores the middle of March. Are you guys still there?
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

bajarat

• ---
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
National Park Week   April 16-24

I know a lot of us have annual National Parks pass that we pay $80 for each year.

However for those of you that don't, the NPS has set the date of our rally as FREE National Park admittance week!

It looks like my lobbying efforts in DC with the NPS was successful !

And yes, I will glady accept a cold beer in Lajitas !

Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:41:39 PM by bajarat »

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2016, 08:44:29 PM »
Ha! Ha!, I guess the next think you are going to tell us, you sealed the deal golfing with Obama.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

bajarat

• ---
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »
Ha! Ha!, I guess the next think you are going to tell us, you sealed the deal golfing with Obama.

Bite your tongue Henry!

Cool breeze1

• ---
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
Hi Henry,  Sorry I didn't get back to you, haven't checked this site in awhile. We just got back to TX from California. We are probably going to land in a park on 242. Did want to ask if there is an itinerary of activities at Big Bend Rally?  Look forward to seeing you and Margret soon and I'll check this forum more closely now.

Neal

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:16 AM »
Hi Henry,  Sorry I didn't get back to you, haven't checked this site in awhile. We just got back to TX from California. We are probably going to land in a park on 242. Did want to ask if there is an itinerary of activities at Big Bend Rally?  Look forward to seeing you and Margret soon and I'll check this forum more closely now.

Neal

I am sure there is an itinerary, however, like Betty always says, they are set in Jell-O.  They change dependent upon weather, interest and sometimes for no apparent reason at all, however, it is always a blast.  We learned not to get too set on the plans and just to arrive and "wing it".  Although that has been hard for me and my OCD but I keep coming back. ;D

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

bajarat

• ---
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2016, 01:52:18 PM »
Itinerary
April 17-24

Have Fun!

I am staring to lay out a prelim schedule now to enable me to better define Jeep routes for the week.  There will be Jeep days when most people will want to join as we will be visiting some of the more interesting portions of the national park.  Then there will be Jeep days when the focus will be on wheeling trails. I am going out to Big Bend tomorrow and will be scouting new trails for 3 days to see what I can connect up to stuff I have already driven/ridden.  I will be wheeling every day except our scheduled shooting day and excursion across the Rio Grande to Mexico.

Henry has hiked portions of the national park and he will be leading at least one or two hikes and there are many other activities that people will probably break off into groups to go and explore.

Big Bend is huge and there will be tons of fun activities to enjoy!  But as Mike said, a set itinerary is not the norm and it allows some flexibility for everyone to enjoy the rally.

Does anyone have a good idea on a way to get out final details to everyone before the start of the rally?  Or is it incumbent on everyone to come to this thread for any announcements? 

Thanks,
Gary

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »
I think it's safe to say that with most rallies we post it here where the attendees will be checking in more or less regularly.  Many people will be on the road as the rally time nears and this is the most logical way for everyone to keep in touch.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »
I think it's safe to say that with most rallies we post it here where the attendees will be checking in more or less regularly.  Many people will be on the road as the rally time nears and this is the most logical way for everyone to keep in touch.

ArdraF

Agreed.  I think the forum thread is the best place to communicate leading up to the rally and then stress the point of trying to make the first night's happy hour as there is a lot of information exchanged then.

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »
Due to other obligations, we won't be able to leave the DFW area until Sunday. I am hoping we'll make it there by Monday night, so don't do any fun stuff until Tuesday!
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Air Force One

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »
We won't be joining the party.  Hope everyone has a great time.

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »
Unfortunately, it's looking like we won't make the rally, either -- perhaps another year...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2016, 08:04:36 AM »
Sorry to be loosing the Brucker's and Nussbaumers from our list.  We understand life happens.
We look forward to crossing roads with you both somewhere in the future. 

I found this interesting article about the border town of Boquillas that is just across the river
from Big Bend.  There is some politics in it about the proposed wall, but just overlook that part
and read about the village.  It will be available for tour and would be an interesting day or part
day trip for the more adventurous. 

In addition I am making contact with a well known "Birder" who is working in Big Bend NP to see
if they are available to lead a bird hike for those who want to see some of the BBNP wild life with
two very capable Ornithologists.

I am beginning to think one week might not be long enough for me. . . . .

We look forward to seeing everyone in about 60 days ! ! ! !

http://aplus.com/a/boquillas-border-crossing-mexico-texas-immigration
Larry and Loretta Dodd

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »
Wonder if this sign is still near Lajitas.  We will see in April.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:38:27 PM by Jim Johnson »
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »
Sadly, I need to get my knee fixed and I won't be able to make it. Maybe next time.
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Air Force One

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

THEBigLarry

• ---
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »
Michael:

We're sorry you and the girls won't make it.  Keep in touch and we will see you all
somewhere down the road.  Best of luck with your knee repair.  Stay safe.

THE Big Larry and all the RV Forum group.
Larry and Loretta Dodd

Hosted by Over The Network