Big Bend National Park,Texas Rally - April 17-24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big Larry & Henry.

Neal & I are new to the group, met Henry at Sunset Shores, and learned about Big Bend trip. We have signed up with RV park to attend. Look forward to meeting everybody and seeing Henry and Mararget again.

Cool breeze1 said:
Big Larry & Henry.

Neal & I are new to the group, met Henry at Sunset Shores, and learned about Big Bend trip. We have signed up with RV park to attend. Look forward to meeting everybody and seeing Henry and Mararget again.

WELCOME! !!

Glad to have you on board.  We're only a short few weeks away from this.  I am getting VERY ready for this.
Can I get your names  First and Last for the Attendance sheet.  If you don't want your last name out there I
understand, but a first name would help. . . . . Thanks..

THE Big Larry

Neal & Gwen Brussell. Don't mind using our last name, not running from anyone - yet. Born & raised in TX but have never visited the Big Ben area. Can't wait. Thanks for getting back. 

Cool breeze1 said:
Neal & Gwen Brussell. Don't mind using our last name, not running from anyone - yet. Born & raised in TX but have never visited the Big Ben area. Can't wait. Thanks for getting back.
Neal & Gwen, so glad you guys are coming. It will be great to see you both again. We have a lot of activity planned and It's just a great place to explore. Lots of hiking and sites to see.
  We will be back at Sunset Shores the middle of March. Are you guys still there?

National Park Week  April 16-24

I know a lot of us have annual National Parks pass that we pay $80 for each year.

However for those of you that don't, the NPS has set the date of our rally as FREE National Park admittance week!

It looks like my lobbying efforts in DC with the NPS was successful !

And yes, I will glady accept a cold beer in Lajitas !

Cheers,
Gary

Ha! Ha!, I guess the next think you are going to tell us, you sealed the deal golfing with Obama.

Henry Wishard said:
Ha! Ha!, I guess the next think you are going to tell us, you sealed the deal golfing with Obama.

Bite your tongue Henry!

Hi Henry,  Sorry I didn't get back to you, haven't checked this site in awhile. We just got back to TX from California. We are probably going to land in a park on 242. Did want to ask if there is an itinerary of activities at Big Bend Rally?  Look forward to seeing you and Margret soon and I'll check this forum more closely now.

Neal

Cool breeze1 said:
Hi Henry,  Sorry I didn't get back to you, haven't checked this site in awhile. We just got back to TX from California. We are probably going to land in a park on 242. Did want to ask if there is an itinerary of activities at Big Bend Rally?  Look forward to seeing you and Margret soon and I'll check this forum more closely now.

Neal

I am sure there is an itinerary, however, like Betty always says, they are set in Jell-O.  They change dependent upon weather, interest and sometimes for no apparent reason at all, however, it is always a blast.  We learned not to get too set on the plans and just to arrive and "wing it".  Although that has been hard for me and my OCD but I keep coming back. ;D

Mike.

Itinerary
April 17-24

Have Fun!

I am staring to lay out a prelim schedule now to enable me to better define Jeep routes for the week.  There will be Jeep days when most people will want to join as we will be visiting some of the more interesting portions of the national park.  Then there will be Jeep days when the focus will be on wheeling trails. I am going out to Big Bend tomorrow and will be scouting new trails for 3 days to see what I can connect up to stuff I have already driven/ridden.  I will be wheeling every day except our scheduled shooting day and excursion across the Rio Grande to Mexico.

Henry has hiked portions of the national park and he will be leading at least one or two hikes and there are many other activities that people will probably break off into groups to go and explore.

Big Bend is huge and there will be tons of fun activities to enjoy!  But as Mike said, a set itinerary is not the norm and it allows some flexibility for everyone to enjoy the rally.

Does anyone have a good idea on a way to get out final details to everyone before the start of the rally?  Or is it incumbent on everyone to come to this thread for any announcements? 

Thanks,
Gary

I think it's safe to say that with most rallies we post it here where the attendees will be checking in more or less regularly.  Many people will be on the road as the rally time nears and this is the most logical way for everyone to keep in touch.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I think it's safe to say that with most rallies we post it here where the attendees will be checking in more or less regularly.  Many people will be on the road as the rally time nears and this is the most logical way for everyone to keep in touch.

ArdraF

Agreed.  I think the forum thread is the best place to communicate leading up to the rally and then stress the point of trying to make the first night's happy hour as there is a lot of information exchanged then.

Mike.

Due to other obligations, we won't be able to leave the DFW area until Sunday. I am hoping we'll make it there by Monday night, so don't do any fun stuff until Tuesday!

Sorry to be loosing the Brucker's and Nussbaumers from our list.  We understand life happens.
We look forward to crossing roads with you both somewhere in the future. 

I found this interesting article about the border town of Boquillas that is just across the river
from Big Bend.  There is some politics in it about the proposed wall, but just overlook that part
and read about the village.  It will be available for tour and would be an interesting day or part
day trip for the more adventurous. 

In addition I am making contact with a well known "Birder" who is working in Big Bend NP to see
if they are available to lead a bird hike for those who want to see some of the BBNP wild life with
two very capable Ornithologists.

I am beginning to think one week might not be long enough for me. . . . .

We look forward to seeing everyone in about 60 days ! ! ! !

http://aplus.com/a/boquillas-border-crossing-mexico-texas-immigration

Wonder if this sign is still near Lajitas.  We will see in April.

Attachments

• Scan-120527-0005 (640x431).jpg
    Scan-120527-0005 (640x431).jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 38
Sadly, I need to get my knee fixed and I won't be able to make it. Maybe next time.

Michael:

We're sorry you and the girls won't make it.  Keep in touch and we will see you all
somewhere down the road.  Best of luck with your knee repair.  Stay safe.

THE Big Larry and all the RV Forum group.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom