5th Wheel Clearance from Truck Rails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55wed55

I bought a used truck and 5th wheel a couple of months ago. The first time I camped I had a heck of a time getting it into the site and ended up scrapping the bottom of the bedroom with the truck rails. Another time when I was pulling out of a campground from a gravel road to a hard road the back of the rails touched the trailer again.

What is the normal clearance for a 5th wheel setup?

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 with an 8" bed and have about 4 inches when level. Is this normal?

As is the trailer seems to tow level. If I raise the hitch is there some way to raise the back end also. Or is it OK to tow with the front higher than the back?

Attachments

• Truck_Trailer_02.jpg
    Truck_Trailer_02.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Truck_Trailer_03.jpg
    Truck_Trailer_03.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 42
most people will tell you 5-6 inches - but in order to get it at that level with most of todays 4x4 trucks you have no choice but to tow a little nose high. but the lower you can keep it the better. i have 6inch of clearance and i am touch nose high if i drop the pin box 2inches im at 4inches which is too low damned of you do damned if you dont. and even at 6inches i have come within a 1/2inch of rubbing the the trailer, with the box. they say a max of 3 degrees nose high.
here read this
http://www.carid.com/images/curt/trailer-hitches/pdf/curt-16245-installation-instructions.pdf

55wed55 said:
I have a Dodge Ram 3500 with an 8" bed and have about 4 inches when level. Is this normal?

You've only got to raise it 1" to 2" so that won't throw it off too much. You'll be fine

Some trailers have a second set of holes at the spring mounts to get the extra height.

Back
Top Bottom