LED BULB REPLACEMENTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary31

Hey just wanted to share this website with everyone. I purchased my TH and then went in a purchased all LED replacement bulbs around 25 bulbs for a couple hundred dollars. now the whole rig is LED inside and out. The dealers are ridiculous pricing and I did all in about 1 hour. Made a huge difference in energy consumption  not to mention the heat the Halogen bulbs created.
http://www.m4products.com/

Thanks for the info.  Wow, are LEDs ever expensive still!  It'll be a couple years when the novelty wears off, supply and demand kicks in, and they'll wind up at $1.

I bought these and replaced all mine for under $20.00 and they work great - not quite as bright as the originals, but plenty bright enough for the RV - they are a blue/white light and work well.

Had them for several months and only had one partial failure....

HERE!

Good Luck,

Jim

One of our advertisers is an LED light supplier - RVLedbulbs.com. They give a 10% discount to forum members too. See ad at top of this page. Support our advertisers whenever reasonable - they help us keep the lights on here!

I certainly agree with supporting advertiser, I think many folks just hear from Dealers the cost and think it is too expensive or they need to switch fixtures but that's not the case any more.
Replace the bulbs and keep your fixtures intact and support the advertisers here on the forum!

Wow are those pricy BUT they look better built than the ebay cheapys I bought three years ago. None of those have failed but since we never have shore power they never see high voltages either.

I have not had any issues with my replacement bulbs. We boondock and run generators, I keep the unit plugged up to shore power while at home. Once I got used to the difference in lighting I like it better than the regular bulbs. Still expensive but when you spend as much money as these things cost a few hundred bucks is little in the scheme of what it cost to own and maintain a RV full time.

When we bought our current motorhome two years ago, replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs was one of my first projects. I replaced 65 interior bulbs and installed and/or replaced 18 in the basement storage area. What a difference it made in power consumption! I not only replaced the incandescent bulbs in the storage compartments, I also installed some LED light strips for better lighting. You can see the difference it made in illuminating the storage compartments.

I was able to get a lot of the LEDs from RVLED but they didn't have all the types I needed. However, I was able to find them on the web and, so far (knock on wood), I haven't had an failures.

Kev

Attachments

• 1. Incandescent Lighting.jpg
    1. Incandescent Lighting.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 125
  • 2. LED Lighting.jpg
    2. LED Lighting.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 123
I just picked up 2 led bulbs from amazon.  2/watt units for about 5$ EACH.  they work very well.  Will.be getting more need 7 more to do most of camper

We have replaced nearly all the inside lights and the outside door/porch light. Only a couple to still change. I found out I did not like the bright light of the 'bluer' ones in the living area  so I put them into the bathroom. You may like them?  The 5,000 kelvin are the 'blue' ones, the more yellow one run around 3.000 kelvin.  But they sure do cut down on heat and current draw.
Price is still coming down for them.

My LEDs from China came today, about $2 per bulb. Swapped out the last of my incandescents. Big difference in current: 2 A for incandescent, 200 mA for the LEDs.  I tested at battery voltage (12V) and converter/charger voltage (13.8 V) and they run cool so must be properly regulated/protected.

Looking forward to some boondocking.

For me it was cheaper to replace all of the fixtures on my 19 ft TT than to replace the bulbs only. 5 dual light fixtures and one single cost me less than 100 dollars and it only took me about 20 minutes to replace them all. Huge difference in the quality of light and far less heat than the old incandescent fixtures.

What has anyone replaced their fluorescent light fixtures for LED ones with? Does it replace the whole fixture or the bulbs alone? The lights I have are a foot long? 2 bulbs in each.

amyken said:
What has anyone replaced their fluorescent light fixtures for LED ones with? Does it replace the whole fixture or the bulbs alone? The lights I have are a foot long? 2 bulbs in each.

This is what I got for my under kitchen cabinets fluo replacements: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321202269638?item=321202269638&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

There are a couple ways to convert fluorescents. The easiest, but not the cheapest, method is the led tube, such as those from our sponsor rvledbulbs.com.  See http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/45.htm

They are the same size and shape as the 12" or 18" fluorescent tube and slip into the pins on the existing fixture.  However, the existing ballast is not used and instead two wires from the led tube are hooked directly to the 12v power coming into the fixture. Here is a link to a write-up & photos I did to show how it is done on the popular Thinlite brand of fixture. Most all fixtures are basically the same, though.
http://www.rvledbulbs.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/datasheets/led-wiring-tips-1.pdf

Gary, I don't think that those products are the cheapest way compared to the units that are fully loaded for $30. and you do get a brand new bezel for that price and it's not a PITA to change them.

I learned from buying eBay bulbs that a color temprature expressed as bright white or soft white can be very different from one vendor to the next, from one batch to the next, and for no reason at all.  I also learned that the really cheap ones are not regulated and are more likely to overheat when used at a typical RVs 13+ volts.  It's a total crapshoot.

All of the LEDS going into a specific area look best when have the same color temprature.  (In my humble opinion). For instance, our bedroom has 4 overhead lights, two reading lights and a single closet light that rarely gets used.  So I'll replace the 4 bulbs in the ceiling and the 2 reading lights with the same 'exact' color temprature if I can.

I look specifically for LEDS made for 12 to 24 volts.  They cost a little bit more but I've never had one fail.

I don't have any reason to do the cabinet lights but I do kind of like the idea of replacing them with strips.  I've got several feet of bright white SM 5050 waterproof LEDS left over.  I think I'm going to need more voltage regulators.  8)

No matter from where you buy the same product, if eBay is cheaper then the sponsor of any forum, that's your choice to buy them or not.
I've replaced some ceiling neons with the same neons and they are just perfect for now; the next ones will be led type for sure, just like the ones I posted earlier.
The ones underneath my kitchen cabinets were not the same type of bezel as from the ceiling ones and they kind of heated the len getting yellow..ish, so I bought the led ones and they are just a great clear and cooler and much brighter then the neon type.

Here's a link to LEDs that I purchased on eBay recently: 10 pieces G4 pin base LEDs White

Base: G4
LED Type: 5730 5630
Input line voltage: 10-30V AC/DC
Power: 2W
angle: 120?
color: white (6500k-7000k)
Lumen: 480-525Lm

Also available in Warm White: 10 pieces G4 pin base LEDs Warm White

Base: G4
LED Type: 5730 5630
Input line voltage: 10-30V AC/DC
Power: 2W
angle: 120?
color: warm white (2800k-3400k)
Lumen: 480-525Lm

$16.19 plus $2.59 shipping for 10.

These have built in regulator so they can handle a wide range of voltages. I haven't installed any yet but they are very bright.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom