Open Office

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I want to install Open Office on my new PC.  But I am confused about where to get it.  When I search on Open Office, I see a lot of different places and I believe some of them to be bogus.

You want to get Libre Office from here.  It's a fork of the original Open Office and is being developed more than the Open Office product.

If you really want the current Open Office (from Apache) then it's found here.

Good choice, I use it with MS Office documents as well.  It is quite compatible.

What's the diff between Libre and Open? I have been using Open for years. Is Libre better? Should I switch?

The Open Office project was forked when Oracle acquired it, and the fork was called Libre Office.  Open Office languished under Oracle and now it's under Apache, but way behind the Libre Office project.  Libre Office is at version 5 while Open Office is still on version 4.  I recommend you switch as it will take a long time, if ever, for Open Office to catch up.  The good developers went with the Libre Office project at the fork.

I too have been using Open Office for several years, but will look into Libre.  Thanks for the tip Ned.

I always write up a daily log of our trips and insert pictures into the document.  For some reason, the pictures won't print, even though they show up on the print preview.  I am using Libre Office. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I see view & print issues with diagrams inserted into doc/docx files (by someone else using MS Word) when I open the files in Libre Office. This seems to have occurred when I switched to a new PC with Win 10 and installed a 'clean' version of LO.

I think the problem was the Version 5.0 of Libre Office. I went to LibreOffice.com and saw that there was a later Version, 5.1.3.2.  I downloaded the later version and then I was able to print the pictures within the text.  Hooray!

Well I'll be darned. I thought I had auto updates turned on, but I was way out of date. Updated via the menu, and the problem seems to be resolved. However, it downloaded/installed ver 5.0.6.3

Back
Top Bottom