What to do in the desert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

It's a bit slow here today and during my daydreaming, I got wondering what people do when they are boondocking in the desert. I'm sure some hike, four-wheel and all, but what other kinds of things do people do? I've never seen the desert except in pictures. What about people with disabilities or limited mobility?

I live in the desert southwest, and I often camp in the desert. Your question struck me as a little humorous. When it comes right down to it. I do the same things camping in the desert as I do in the forest. I cook, hang out, drink some beverages of various types and alcohol content (unless driving or other activity that requires my attention is involved), I read, photograph, and so forth. Mostly, I just like to hang out, read, and cook whenever I am out. I like to go four-wheeling at every opportunity, fish...kind of like camping in the forest, on a river or lake, and so forth.

The ultimate boondocking in the desert takes place every January in Quartzsite, Arizona.  Thousands of RVs dot the desert landscape for several miles in either direction.  This is a big "happening" in the desert with hundreds of "flea market" vendors scattered throughout town at various venues.  To see photos and descriptions of some desert adventures see our last rally discussion topic at http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,77992.msg739632.html#msg739632

We (the RV Forum) have a rally there that coincides with the RV show.  Our rally site is about two miles south of town on BLM land.  We do all the things you mentioned such as four-wheeling, hiking, photography, and just plain hanging out and enjoying one another's company.  We also see some of the country's most gorgeous sunsets.  We always have a potluck dinner on our last evening.  The desert is a beautiful and interesting place, especially in the winter when temperatures are more mild and the cacti are in bloom.

As to your questions about handicapped accessibility.  Our rally site itself tends to be rocky but we try to make it easier on people who have mobility challenges by making sure they have a place to park close to the group activities.  Quartzsite itself got some sidewalks a couple of years ago, so things are improving in town.  The RV show and various vendor sites are relatively smooth and accessible by people with wheelchairs and other aids.

ArdraF

It's funny but it seems like people either love camping in the desert or they really dislike it. We've been camping in an area known as KOFA, in the Arizona desert, for decades and it's one of the most relaxing places we've ever camped. Of course we only camp there when it's cool enough to do so, and when the wind isn't howling, but the wind can ruin a camping trip anywhere.

As far as what there is to do there... John pretty much summed it up. For many years we led pretty busy lives so putting our feet up with a cold one in one hand and an RV magazine in the other is pretty appealing to us (Cyndi prefers Pinot Grigio and clothing magazines :eek:). Like Tom said, lots of folks like to take photos of desert scenery, and there's nothing like those Arizona desert sunsets!

There are no amenities or services of any kind for miles and miles. You have to bring everything with you and take it with you when you leave - and it helps to have your RV set up for boondocking. It's not unusual to NOT have another neighbor within a quarter mile of you. It's wonderful! I've never seen anyone in a wheelchair there, but I honestly don't think it would be a big problem. In most places the ground is flat hard dirt with rocks scattered around, and it's easy to walk on (Photo). I've also attached a link to a video of KOFA that I made for our family. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

Kev

Attachments

• KOFA Camping.jpg
    KOFA Camping.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 105
I agree with Kevin. It is heaven not to have another neighbor for miles. Joshua Tree is one of the best kept secrets of the National Park system.

Attachments

• Cool Campsite at Joshua Tree NP.jpg
    Cool Campsite at Joshua Tree NP.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 107
Kev, I think I'm one of those who just doesn't understand that much dirt. I'm a northern boy an still like to see some grass out there when I walk out of my MH. I've thought over the Quartzite thing for three years but just can't seem to commit.

I spent about 16 weeks in Tucson and Phoenix the first winter I bought my 2012 MH. My sister lives in Scottsdale. The last two years have been in the Hill Country of Texas for about 20 weeks each time. Now, I'll admit that there is not that much grass in the Hill Country, and they wouldn't let you water it the last two years if there was, but it is more homey to me. It's certainly cooler in those parts of Texas then Phoenix so I may head to the Brownsville area this winter; simply too early to decide yet.

If the weather looks good, I just may do the gulf coast this winter as the projected weather has stopped me from going there for the last three years.

The good thing about being from the Midwest (it ain't the Plains) is that you just slip on down to Fredericksburg,  TX and straight is Brownsville, right is Phoenix and left is the gulf coast. And, that part of Texas is a good place to have a cool one while making the decision..

Oscar Mike, I'm from Delaware, so other than pics, I don't really have an idea what the desert is like. I didn't even think to boondock near water. Actually, was thinking there was no water! Your reply gives me hope of an enjoyable time when we get that far. Glad to put a smile on your face. 8)

Tom, I seen many great pics from the desert and plan on getting quite a few of my own. Was that you in the pic at Joshua Tree?

ArdraF, I've read a lot about Quartzite. Seems like a lot going on there! It's one of those things to us that we don't really know if we would enjoy the crowds, but have to experience it at least once. It would be kind of a shame to be wintering in the desert and not get there at least once.

Kevin, Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it. As far as limited mobility, DW has issues with her back, knee, and foot. She can still walk a bit, just not very far. The knee is minor and can probably fixed if it get to that point. The foot is probably a lost cause, but stiff sole shoes/boots help her out. The back is the major thing and has been since birth. Now it's gotten worse and probably nothing can be done with it. We go to Johns Hopkins Hospital next week for an evaluation and consultation with one of the best spine doctors in the nation. We'll see.
Either way, we still plan on fulltiming in the future, Lord willing. We came close in March to going fulltime, but health issues curtailed that. Trying to sell the TT now and work towards getting a motorhome. She can do the steps with a grab handle well, but couldn't deal with getting in and out of a pick-up as a daily driver, so we traded for a vehicle she could actually use without dealing with a lot of pain. TT just sitting in the yard now. Don't really want to use it as it is all cleaned up to sell and have a new unused mattress in it. We put the new mattress in it because we wouldn't want someone elses old mattress, so we don't expect them to want ours.
Anyway, back to topic, anybody else out there do different stuff?

kdbgoat said:
Tom, I seen many great pics from the desert and plan on getting quite a few of my own. Was that you in the pic at Joshua Tree?
That is my RV in the photo, I am the one taking the photo. I really love the desert. The desert is not for everyone so the only way to find out is to go there and check it out. Quartzsite is something every RVer should experience once. It would be easy for you to get around since the ground is hard and flat like cement everywhere.

kdbgoat said:
Oscar Mike, I'm from Delaware, so other than pics, I don't really have an idea what the desert is like. I didn't even think to boondock near water. Actually, was thinking there was no water! Your reply gives me hope of an enjoyable time when we get that far. Glad to put a smile on your face. 8)

As an adult I have never been further east than Moab, UT, so I have no frame of reference to the greenery you speak of. I have heard of such places, and I have had a glimpse during my annual visits to the Pacific North West, but I would be lost in your neck of the woods, (no pun intended). I have always dreamed of visiting the Northeast, but time is slipping away, and sadly I am not sure I'll ever take the time to get there. I am not complaining, there is so much I have yet to see in my own neighborhood, from Washington, Idaho, Montana, North & South Dakota, and so forth.

If your ever in my neighborhood, Las Vegas, NV, give us a shout and we'll be happy to show you the back roads of Las Vegas. 

Look into doing Geocaching as it is a great way to explore each area that you are visiting.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

Geocaching seem like it would be fun. I've thought about doing that around here.  It's nice enough around here,  but boondocking is close to nonexistent.  The PNW sems like a nice place to visit too. Thanks for the invite John,  hopefully we can get out that way in the next couple of years.

About 12 Jeeps went out today in the area bordering The Valley of Fire State Park, I thought I would share my view out of the window so you might get a feel for what your missing...or not.

Actually some of the views are breath taking...I just do not have the talent to capture them photographically.

Attachments

• Ute fun run 024.JPG
    Ute fun run 024.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Ute fun run 025.JPG
    Ute fun run 025.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Ute fun run 026.JPG
    Ute fun run 026.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 51
Greetings all,

Besides it's beauty, the desert is good for astronomy, with clear skies and lack of lights from big cities.

Like for us in Idaho the desert is the first place to run to in the spring of the year to get out of the cold and snow up north. Sorry I don't have any pictures of what its like but again like SeilerBird posted it like that but mostly sage brush. Geocaching and ATV riding is a good way to adventure the desert. Make sure you skills with GPS are up to snuff because it don't take long to get spun around and lost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom