Calling all Winne class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

I strongly suggest you seal the windshield tops of the upper and lower horizontal rubber trim pieces to stop water from funneling in. I sure wish I had. They are not seals, only trim for looks. The lower one has been pouring rain all over the windshield wiper motor and all the metal which makes up the dashboard top. Really rusted badly. Even under coating would not have gotten up that high. An ounce of prevention in this area will go a long way. Art

Art...

I know exactly what problem you're talking about and, so far, I haven't seen any indication of it on our motorhome, but it's a concern of mine, because the damage hides behind where the windshield is glued to the frame. Other than inspecting it (which I do), I'd love to hear about any preventative measures that could be taken, to reduce or eliminate the likelihood of it occurring. I've considered lining the perimeter of the window with black butyl tape so it wouldn't look so bad, but I don't know if that would help or not.

Kev

Good advice Art.  When factory service took care of my rusty windshield frame three or four years ago, I asked the tech to completely fill the top channel (between the edge of the windshield and the cap) with caulk.  In my opinion it's a deficient design (that could have been easily fixed with lots of caulk) because water will get forced behind the trim strip and will sit nicely in the channel until it eventually evaporates.

Yes Keven & John I agree & will also now calk the vertical areas. Let me tell you a LOT of rust has occurred on mine in that area & I am not so lazy as I sure would have calked it sooner had I only have known, that's why I posted it here. Thanks for the reply's Art.

I had a simple solution on both of my previous Winnebago's and repeated it on my current rig.  I purchased some of the rubber "J" gutter to go over the entire length of the top of the windshield. I had originally put it on to keep the drizzle and morning dew from washing the dust from the roof of the rig onto the windows every morning. 

I picked it up at CW and applied it to the rig so it sat right on top of the window rubber strip.  I had a windshield replaced at Forest City once on my Meridian. When they pulled the windshield there was no evidence of rust of any kind. 

Back
Top Bottom