Rubber roof mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timberwolf50

Can anyone help, my wife bought a Jayco Kiwi 17a, I wasn't able to look at it :(. It's in nice shape, except the previous owner used a petroleum based sealer on the roof edges. I haven't noticed any cracks in the roof liner, only bubbling along one edge.

I was wondering if you can use eternabond tape over the petroleum sealant?
Thank you

I'm not convinced that bubbling means a petroleum-based sealer was used. Tiny amounts of petro-based stuff in a caulk materialr wouldn't likely be enough to cause a problem. Dicor only recommends against roof coatings that have a petroleum base, stuff that coats the roof and remains in place long term.  Something described as "bubbles" usually is bubbles, i.e. air pockets.
https://dicorproducts.com/faq/

In any case, remove as much of the loose/bubbly sealant as possible. You can even use a rag dampened in mineral spirits if needed. Dampened, not soggy! A flexible blade, maybe a plastic one, often helps. Then recover the seam with a quality lap sealant or Eternabond.

Is the bubbling just in the sealer, or is the EDPM roofing material bubbling? Pics will help the folks on the site help you.

Thank you for the response. Yes it's air pockets, only in the sealant that was placed on before it was bought by my wife. The previous owner said he put what they use on mobile home roofs, not sure if it was a petroleum-based.
I would like to clean as much up as I can without tearing the rubber roof on there. I'm going to try and send pictures.
Thank you

Reasonably clear shots, but I don't see any bubbles in the photos. Are they very high, or just tiny bubbles?

That looks like typical roof seam sealer stuff, aka "roof cement".  Some mobile home products are incompatible with EPDM rubber, but not all of them. Seems like the guy could at least have used the white stuff instead of gray. Psheesh!

Gary the bubbles aren't very high and yes white would've been nice. My concerns are, if I can use the eternabond tape I have? I don't want to put it on and not have it work, the tape is expensive.
I thought all mobile home roof sealant was petroleum based?

timberwolf50 said:
Gary the bubbles aren't very high and yes white would've been nice. My concerns are, if I can use the eternabond tape I have? I don't want to put it on and not have it work, the tape is expensive.
I thought all mobile home roof sealant was petroleum based?

Try a piece of tape a couple of inches ling and see how it holds.

Some are EPDM and some are elastomeric, and some are more traditional roof materials. There are several different formulations of EPDM, and not all are compatible. Even among the RV EPDM products, there are two different EPDM types (Dicor vs Alpha brands).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom