Networking Windoews 7 Home and Windows 7Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mweber (KC9NPT)

Wife's tower pc is Win 7 Pro and my laptop Win 7 Home. Trying to network them using home wifi. Wife's pc can access my files, but I don't have access to her pc. Both are setup to same workgroup, but if I go into control panel,system, it says her network not available. Anybody have any ideas?

Have you set sharing on her folders that you want to access?  You may also have to change the security settings on those folders.  Pro is more security aware than the Home version.  Also, go to the Advanced Sharing Settings and see that those are set correctly on the Pro system.

Can't even get a sharing option on her computer. Normally right click on folder and sharing is an option. Not here. Her's is my old work one that was on a domain. I've changed it to the same workgroup as the laptop.

Open the Network and Sharing Center from  control panel.  Click on Change advanced sharing settings, and review those.  You need to turn on Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing.  Then you should have a Sharing tab on the folder properties window.  I also recommend using password protected sharing and not use Homegroups.

You have to use a workgroup as I doubt you have a domain controller on your home network :)

Yes, we have a Workgroup for our network which includes two Win7 Pro laptops, one Win XP laptop, a couple of printers and the scanner.

Every now and then (like several days ago) one of us suddenly can't see the other's computer and we have to go into the sharing setup to get it working again.  We're not quite sure how it happens but when it works one day and not the next you know something got "zapped" and needs fixing.  :eek:  Jerry's is set up as the administrator and he can usually see me but when this happens I can't see him.  We usually know there's a problem when I go to print something and it tells me the printer is offline even though both it and Jerry's computer are on.  Sometimes just rebooting brings it all back but other times we have to use the Control Panel.

ArdraF

Are you making the changes as an administrator?

Since that computer was formerly on a domain, there may be group policies remaining that override your selections.  Run the Group Policy Editor and check for those.

Both of us are admins. Never had any group policies on it. We didn't use them ( I was network admin & only 6 pc's on network). Only reason for a server was file storage.

I'm out of ideas for now.  I've always found it problematical getting networking to work across different versions of Windows.  I found that setting up the same users with identical credentials on all computers would usually allow sharing to work.

Good luck, you'll figure it out eventually.  Windows networking is part smoke and part mirrors, especially across versions :)

Yes, the server service is important for networking :)  Generally, it's bad practice to tinker with the Windows services if you don't understand what they do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom