EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Coming soon to your windows 7 computers.  (Read 6986 times)

BruceinFL

• ---
Re: Coming soon to your windows 7 computers.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
This only applies to Windows 10, not Windows 7.  So it doesn't belong in this thread.

Yes it does. It answered a question I had when reading this thread. :)
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 11:06:43 AM »
Thanks.

I can stop,hanging my head in shame.   ;)
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
Sorry, but I don't trust Microsoft. I followed all their hijinks during and after their antitrust proceedings, and there was nothing there to inspire confidence. Rather it indicated that they'd lie whenever it seemed to make them more money or get them more control. There's a big difference between collecting data from web browsing and collecting it from inside your machine itself, where they have no business being unless you invite them.

Actually, according to what I've read, if you're not part of the CEIP, then these won't be installed. That's how data won't be collected.

Apparently MS wants everyone to have Win 10, whether they want it or not: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/09/10/148238/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-without-asking

It's a good thing I have auto-update disabled. I don't need more intrusion. It's stuff like this, among other things, that cause me to not trust MS.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
Jerry Groah,

All 6 of the updates you listed in your post were updated to my computer on 9/3/2015.

Try this to see your updates.  Go to Windows update, Click on View Update History.    Look at the right most column.  If you click on the very top of the column it will put your updates in a sequence from most recent to oldest.  In this way you can see if you have these recent updates.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
Larry N,

By disabling  auto update do you mean in the Control Panel?  I ask because I already did this and did not want to miss something.

JerryF
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:29:38 PM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 03:16:52 PM »
Larry N,

By disabling  auto update do you mean in the Control Panel?  I ask because I already did this and did not want to miss something.

JerryF

That's the place, Jerry.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
For WIN 7 here is an easy way to view and/or opt in or out of CEIP.

Go to Control Panel and click on Action Center.  Then in the left pane click Action Center Settings and go to bottom of that page and click Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).  Now you can and make your choice to opt in or out.

JerryF
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:37:04 PM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Jerrygroah

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Jerry7f.
Jerry Groah
Jerry Groah
Mims, Florida

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »
This just in!  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/spybot_anti_beacon_for_windows_10.html

A no muss, no fuss way of disabling the windows 'features' only MS likes.

I trust spybot products explicitly.  I can't say that for any of the other 'anti-beacon' apps on MajorGeeks. 

On edit:

This only applies to Windows 10, not Windows 7. So it doesn't belong in this thread.

No longer true!! The latest version (V1.4) downloadable directly from Spybot handles W10, W8, W7 and is available here:

https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:49:49 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »
Let me know if it works.  Several users have reported that there is a bug in SpyBots code that stops the changes from taking effect.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 09:34:30 PM »
Let me know if it works.  Several users have reported that there is a bug in SpyBots code that stops the changes from taking effect.

It seems to do exactly as the V1.3 did but I am not sure how to check it out without dumping the appropriate register entries and examining them!! Is there still a register editor available in win10?? Even then, Microsoft should be very capable of simply ignoring them should they choose to....
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
Regedit works the same as always in Windows 10, but use it only if you know the risks.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »
Or as an alternative you could go to system privacy settings and look at the individual items should now be disabled. 

I just updated one of my remaining W7 systems last night and haven't had time to futz with it.  Maybe this afternoon.

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »
Anyone,

Just wonderin' about this?  I have a new unknown folder that appeared on my C:\ drive.

This folder is $windows.*BT but where I put the * there really is an S like symbol turned 90 degrees to the right. Sorry no keyboard symbol for that character.

In this folder there are 9 other folders and 5 files one of which is setup.exe (79KB).  When I click on setup.exe I get a screen showing the new WIN10 Logo and a little further below that is the word INSTALL.  No I did not click on install because I m not yet ready for WIN10.

Is this the way Microsoft sent any of you folks their free version of WIN 10??

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2015, 02:28:54 PM »
Yup.  That's exactly what it is.  But the normal way to install is via the windows logo in your system tray.  It'll work either way though.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
That's the Windows 10 update.  The easiest way is as 8Muddypaws (your mother had a funny sense of humor in names) is via the icon in the system tray when you're ready.  After the update, there will be a Windows.old folder there as well, and that will contain your previous Windows version if you decide to roll back in the first 30 days.
2007 GMC Canyon

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 04:00:54 PM »
After the update, there will be a Windows.old folder there as well, and that will contain your previous Windows version if you decide to roll back in the first 30 days.

....And can that folder simply be deleted once satisfied with W10? My preference has always been a clean install but that "FREE" part got to me. That and I don't want the hassle of re-installing the software I already have and use!!

Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »
Once you're sure you're not going back, or 30 days has elapsed, you can delete both of those folders and regain the disk space.

I know of many successful upgrades that kept all of the previous software intact, including 2 of our computers, and only a very few that had problems.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 04:23:17 PM »
After reading all of this,  why is it that so many are willing to jump on the band wagon and willy-nilly install this NEW FREE W-10,  MS history is not really good when it comes to newer and bigger and better.  Can't seem to leave well enough alone for a while.

I guess I am just paranoid living in my aluminum foil lined house....
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
After reading all of this,  why is it that so many are willing to jump on the band wagon and willy-nilly install this NEW FREE W-10,  MS history is not really good when it comes to newer and bigger and better.  Can't seem to leave well enough alone for a while.

I guess I am just paranoid living in my aluminum foil lined house....

Not sure about this willy-nilly stuff but I have been using Windows since if first came out. I have also used Apple DOS, Microsoft DOS, a bit of Linux and a couple of others. My judgement is that Microsoft has done a really good job this time for my uses of it with the possible exception of the data extortion that may be happening. I did not just "jump into W10" without a lot of forethought. The "FREE' only caught my attention and curiosity. I paid for many of the other versions or had them preinstalled on new 'puters I had bought.

Perhaps just a bit paranoid... but the good news is that heavier tinfoil is now readily available.... Just my 2 cents...
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2015, 07:54:34 PM »
Some of us like to live 'on the bleeding edge'.

I'm a Windows insider (beta tester) and am already gearing up to test the first major update to W10.  What do I get out of this?  I get to tell MS what they've done wrong before everyone else.  (sometimes, like with the start menu in W8, they don't listen)

I really like W10.  So far I have not found a program or device I can't get to work in it except for a USB to serial adapter that won't  work because it's a counterfeit chip.

Mostly it's just fun.

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »
I guess I shot myself in the foot, when I made my blanket statement regarding W-10.  The OS that was ticking over in the back of my paranoid mind was "VISTA"  my wife had it on a new Lap Top and it was a nightmare for her.

Guess I'd better order that NEW heavy duty super duper 28 gage  Aluminum foil. ;D

Just have to pull the nice metal ear flaps down again ang back in my burrow. ;D ;D
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Tom_M

• ---
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »
I really like W10.  So far I have not found a program or device I can't get to work in it except for a USB to serial adapter that won't  work because it's a counterfeit chip.
I have my notebook set up to dual boot Win 7 and Win 10. I found that AutoCAD 2013 will not install on Win 10 so I have to run Win 7 when I need to use AutoCAD.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24 Rear Bath
Towing 2013 Smart Car

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2015, 01:33:53 PM »
Once you're sure you're not going back, or 30 days has elapsed, you can delete both of those folders and regain the disk space.

I know of many successful upgrades that kept all of the previous software intact, including 2 of our computers, and only a very few that had problems.

Hmmm, was thinking of doing just that today for the files windows.old and windows.~BT but on this  upgraded Windows10 computer, I can no longer find them. They were there before!!

Is it possible that after the 30 days Windows came along and did it for me?? How nice, if so!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:35:36 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »
You may have to turn on view hidden files, it may have been turned off.
2007 GMC Canyon

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »

Ned, is there any way to make use of the OLD (win-7)?  Like an alternate boot or maybe a virtual Machine?

'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
You may have to turn on view hidden files, it may have been turned off.

Good thought but... When I look up how to for W10, I find:
  •   Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
But... On my Machine the only folder in the Control Panel  I find is Personalization and, no Folder Options within it. Any other way to get there?

On the other hand I did find these files while the previous notes on the subject here were new.

I have found several anomalies in the W10 web pages, when asking for W10 help ends up pointing to W7 info which no longer works in the new O/S.??? A work in progress maybe??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:25:37 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
Ned, is there any way to make use of the OLD (win-7)?  Like an alternate boot or maybe a virtual Machine?

If you have an original disc you could probably install it on a new partition and use a Dual boot. Otherwise, doubtful!  Installing full image of W7, if you have one, on a new partition would also install all your other applications too and then you would have to figure out how to make into dual boot. Was easily done in previous versions but with W10....I don't know.

A friend of mine has done it but has not shared the details yet and he has access to all the original O/M files as he builds machines as a hobby.   JMHO.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:48:29 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
If you have an original disc you could probably install it on a new partition and use a Dual boot. Otherwise, doubtful!  Installing full image of W7, if you have one, on a new partition would also install all your other applications too and then you would have to figure out how to make into dual boot. Was easily done in previous versions but with W10....I don't know. A friend of mine has done it but has not shared the details yet.   JMHO.
I understand all that, but that wasn't my question.  I do not have a win-7 disk.

BTW - the answer to your previous question about changing folder options, is that when you get to the personalization page, you need to click on "tools" from the drop down menu.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
Just using the W10 version of your W7 back up to make a dual boot w7/W10 install is not possible. At least that is what I tried to say the first time!! Sorry!

That does it Just Lou. It is too bad the W10 Help I quoted did not say that!!! And and all View Hidden Files items are unchecked so the files show (as they always have done on my machines)!!

Still no joy here!!
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Hosted by Over The Network