Coming soon to your windows 7 computers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8Muddypaws said:
That was a prime example of a malicious website.  If you had clicked on anything they wanted you to it would have installed bad stuff on your computer.  I've found that the best thing to do in those cases is to enter task manager (ctl-alt-del) and kill the browser.
My computer is a Chromebook. There is no task manager and there is no chance they could have hurt anything no matter what I clicked on. You can't install things on a Chromebook.

After 25 years of Windows, I now run a MAC.  I have Win7 on a virtual machine on the MAC for some work things that HAVE to use Windows.  Yes they are expensive but I have none of these problems and as an added "bonus" the MacBook Pro is the worlds fastest Windows machine for the last 4 or 5 years running out of the virtual machine.  I said I would never go MAC for years, but I work with Linux SW for my job and it is so much easier being able to work with those files without extra SW and being able to tar something back up which Windows can't do.  In the almost 3 years I've had the MacBook it has been shut down twice and rebooted only when needed for an update.

Is there any way we can tell if we agreed to CEIP?  I ask because, if so, I want to UNAGREE so we are NOT tracked by Microsoft.

Yea...I just found the answer with regard to WIN 7 which is...

To view or change the Windows CEIP settings on a computer running WIN 7 do this.  Click start, select control panel, and click the Action center.  In the left pane click Change Action Center Settings.  Under Related settings you can choose NOT to join the Customer Experience Improvement Program.

BTW,  I also found for those of use that use Microsoft word it also may have put you into the CEIP data collection.  I have Microsoft Office 2010 and here is how it works.  To check if you are in or out of CEIP do this.  Open any office file and then click the FILE tab (UL corner).  Then click Options.  Then click Trust Center.  Then click Trust Center Settings.  Then click Privacy Options and you are at the screen where you can opt in or opt out of CEIS.

JerryF

PS,  Both of our computers were, but are not now, opted into CEIS via WIN 7 and I was not opted into CEIS via Microsoft word 2010.  I am really pleased to be opted out of CEIS via my Win 7!!!

This whole discussion reminds me of something.  Two weeks ago we had breakfast with friends.  She raved about some pants she bought so I went to their web site when I got home.  Within ten minutes I was getting popup ads from that site and I'm STILL getting them every time I go on the internet.  This is enhancing my experience??  I think not.  It's extremely annoying and intrusive, especially when I'm trying to find an obituary.  I now would not buy those pants on general principle!

ArdraF

Ardra,

That's just targeted ads based upon your web browsing history.  That's one of Google and Yahoo's main sources of revenue.  And the business Microsoft wants to take away from them.  once in a while it actually pops up something useful.  Maybe 1:1000 times.  ;). But if I looked for blue widgets yesterday why would they assume I'm still looking for blue widgets today.

BTW, Apple has had their share of privacy issues too. Particularly in relation to location services and the storing (on an Apple server) of every location you've ever visited, when you were there, and for how long.  If I remember right they disabled the server but the data is stored on the local device for x days. 

It strikes me as funny that when I start the calculator on my iPhone/pad/iPod it requests access to my location.  Why would a calculator care?

Nothing to hide in that regard, but it is disturbing that we are so complacent about what few shreds of privacy remain.

8Muddypaws said:
It strikes me as funny that when I start the calculator on my iPhone/pad/iPod it requests access to my location.  Why would a calculator care?
Because it wants to know if you are going to use the metric system or the Imperial system ::)

You can avoid a lot of those extraneous ads by not allowing third party cookies in your browser.  There is no legitimate need for those other than for tracking for advertising purposes.  Also, use a script blocker like NoScript or uBlock Origin and only enable scripting for those sites that you decide on.  Either of those addons (don't install both) will also do a very good job of automatically blocking known advertising scripts and images and actually makes a noticeable difference in page loading times, sometimes as much as 3 or 4 times faster.  Of course, you can disable the blocking the rvforum.net so you support our sponsors :)

This just in!  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/spybot_anti_beacon_for_windows_10.html

A no muss, no fuss way of disabling the windows 'features' only MS likes.

I trust spybot products explicitly.  I can't say that for any of the other 'anti-beacon' apps on MajorGeeks. 

On edit:

This only applies to Windows 10, not Windows 7.  So it doesn't belong in this thread.

Hello Jerry F. Would you be so kind as to list the release dates of the updates that were posted on your response a few days ago? I cannot find them on my PC.
They are; KB3075249
KB3077715
KB3078667
KB3080149
KB3083324
KB3082627
Thank you, Jerrygroah

Thanks, Ned.  I upped my level of blocking by one click so we'll see if that improves it.  Sure wouldn't want to block the RV Forum!!!  :eek:

ArdraF

8Muddypaws said:
This only applies to Windows 10, not Windows 7.  So it doesn't belong in this thread.

Yes it does. It answered a question I had when reading this thread. :)

Larry N. said:
Sorry, but I don't trust Microsoft. I followed all their hijinks during and after their antitrust proceedings, and there was nothing there to inspire confidence. Rather it indicated that they'd lie whenever it seemed to make them more money or get them more control. There's a big difference between collecting data from web browsing and collecting it from inside your machine itself, where they have no business being unless you invite them.

Actually, according to what I've read, if you're not part of the CEIP, then these won't be installed. That's how data won't be collected.

Apparently MS wants everyone to have Win 10, whether they want it or not: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/09/10/148238/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-without-asking

It's a good thing I have auto-update disabled. I don't need more intrusion. It's stuff like this, among other things, that cause me to not trust MS.

Jerry Groah,

All 6 of the updates you listed in your post were updated to my computer on 9/3/2015.

Try this to see your updates.  Go to Windows update, Click on View Update History.    Look at the right most column.  If you click on the very top of the column it will put your updates in a sequence from most recent to oldest.  In this way you can see if you have these recent updates.

JerryF

Larry N,

By disabling  auto update do you mean in the Control Panel?  I ask because I already did this and did not want to miss something.

JerryF

For WIN 7 here is an easy way to view and/or opt in or out of CEIP.

Go to Control Panel and click on Action Center.  Then in the left pane click Action Center Settings and go to bottom of that page and click Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).  Now you can and make your choice to opt in or out.

JerryF

8Muddypaws said:
This just in!  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/spybot_anti_beacon_for_windows_10.html

A no muss, no fuss way of disabling the windows 'features' only MS likes.

I trust spybot products explicitly.  I can't say that for any of the other 'anti-beacon' apps on MajorGeeks. 

On edit:

This only applies to Windows 10, not Windows 7. So it doesn't belong in this thread.

No longer true!! The latest version (V1.4) downloadable directly from Spybot handles W10, W8, W7 and is available here:

https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55

Let me know if it works.  Several users have reported that there is a bug in SpyBots code that stops the changes from taking effect.

Back
Top Bottom