Looking at a used RV with a couple issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2saving4life

How to determine whether or not a water leak has caused damage?  I'm assuming the rock chip/crack is to large to repair?  Is this correct?  This RV is a 6hr drive away, just trying to determine if its worth the drive.  Thanks

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 86
It's really hard to tell how extensive water damage is by looking at surface damage. You really have to grab a flashlight and pull some panels to determine the extent of damage. It's possible that a leak was caught and fixed before extensive damage was done, but it's also possible that a lot of hidden damage occurred before repairs were made. I've always kind of felt that if the owner didn't care enough about their RV to repair the obvious surface damage, they weren't likely to put much effort into trying to find and fix any hidden damage, but that's certainly not a rule.

I just had two spider cracks on our windshield repaired about two weeks ago - both the result of a semi-truck getting onto the freeway in front of us. Each of them was about 1/4 the diameter of the crack shown in your picture (if that). After paying $45.00 each for the repairs, I did some research into buying my own windshield repair kit, because I think you could repair a lot of the smaller cracks yourself.

Everything I read from people who seemed to be "experts" indicated to me that a crack as large as the one in your picture would be too big to repair, because the epoxy won't be able to travel the length of all those cracks once injected into the center of the crack (But I'm no expert). I guess there's also a time-frame that cracks should be repaired within. It has something to do with the epoxy not adhering well to dirt and other things that have worked their way into the glass over time.

Kev

The resulting damage from even a small leak can be extensive. Water travels destroying the thin wood along the way. If you can see the leak then pull panels until you find good wood. Repairs can be time consuming in most cases.

I would not drive six minutes to look at that RV even if it was free. If it was an easy fix the seller would repair it before attempting to sell it and thus get a lot more money.

Some states wouldn't give you an inspection sticker with that windshield damage, that windshield would be expensive to replace, possibly real expensive if it's an out of business manufacturer. Water damage is always a crap shoot. I'm with Tom, keep looking.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom