Repainting the Bathroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KD7ONE

Actually not REpainting it, but rather removing the wallpaper and painting the walls.
What is the best kind of paint should I use that the steam from the shower won't make peel off in a few years?

Any regular brand of semi-gloss or satin, depending on the kind of shine you want. Use some primer first if its not been painted before.

Just bought some Behr paint from Home Depot that is a premium line that is rated for both indoors and outdoors so should be fine for wide temperature swings a RV will encounter, and it was offered in different sheen levels.  Might want to consider that.  Although I believe it states it has a primer built in, I used a product called Gripper from Glidden.  It is a Primer Sealer and has excellent adhesion to almost everything.  Recommended for difficult surfaces.

Be aware that the "wallpaper" may well be the surface of a manufactured wall board (RV makers rarely put up a wall and then paper it). If so, removing it can be problematic. If what you now have is firmly adhered, it may be best just to leave it in place. Prime it and paint with a paint rated for warm & damp environments (kitchen & bath). Modern self-priming paints work well, but for problem surfaces I still prefer a separate primer.

KD7ONE said:
Actually not REpainting it, but rather removing the wallpaper and painting the walls.
What is the best kind of paint should I use that the steam from the shower won't make peel off in a few years?

Shoot.  When I originally read your question I immediately thought the wallpaper was the 4" or 5" border that goes around the center of many RV walls to break things up.  Actually that was some sort of contact paper and successful in removing it.  The actual walls many times have a vinyl type product over the entire wall surface.  Like Gary stated, best to leave that alone if you can.  If you attempt to remove that I think you will be in for a lot of work both in removing and maybe in preparation to get  a nice smooth finish.   

My concern with normal Kitchen and bath paint was the temperature swings that we get in Ohio.  Afraid the interior paint may not hold up thus the reasoning to get a paint that was designed for both inside and outside applications.

Back
Top Bottom