RV Quality ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

run26

My wife and I are so looking forward to RVing in a couple of years. I have done lots of research!  I am continually confronted with POOR quality ratings and complaints I am very confused and discouraged. How do I get to the bottom of this and get a QUALITY RV or if you want to RV do you just have to settle for poor quality. Thanks for your help with this frustrating issue.

Can you be more specific on what reviews you are seeing about poor quality? 

Sometimes it's just an issue of the fact that complaints are pronounced more loudly than satisfaction (i.e. you often hear nothing from folks who have no problems).

Just by nature of what an RV is, there will almost always be tinkering to be done.  Some people are not ready for that.  Think about taking your house, and rolling it (more like bouncing it most times ;)) down the road.  So, the physical demands on RV's are pretty high.  Screws fall out, panels loosen, wiring gets loose sometimes... all of which can be maintained and fixed (that's what this forum is for!), but to an owner who expected smooth sailing and no problems, it can be frustrating.

There are high-end makes of every RV style, it just depends on your budget and planned usage for the rig.  Many of us weekend/vacationers get along just fine with "entry level" RV's.  Honestly I don't mind cheaper cabinets and fixtures, for instance.  I'm in it for the camping experience, not the granite countertops and exterior flatscreen TV that is nicer than what I have at home.  But for fulltimers I can see how it would be worth spending a lot more for a newer, nicer RV. 

Eye of the beholder, as they say.  Provide some more details and I'm sure we can walk you through it.  ;)

It is not a problem that RVs have poor quality. It is a problem that it is a house being driven and shaken down the road at 65 miles per hour. Everything vibrates loose unless it is super tight. There simply is no way to test everything before it hits the road. Then you have the problem of extreme heat and extreme cold changes everything. Some things work great in normal temps but not at extremes. And lots of systems are interconnected making them really tough to test. Now most people who spend a $100k on an RV expect it to be perfect and that is just not going to happen. If the manufacturer were to test an RV completely it would raise the price astronomically and they still wouldn't find everything.

This is why I always recommend buying used rather than new. A well cared for gently used RV will have most of the bugs worked out. And I never take my RV into a dealership for getting work done. I have mobile mechanics come to me if at all possible. I have read too many horror stories of people buying an RV and it spending it's first year in the shop.

I'll disagree with Tom. There is poor quality in cheap motorhomes. Pressed board cabinets with woodgrain vinyl over the top. The doors literally, you can see them, bend before the catch lets go. Upholstery that is folded over on the corners instead of sewn and each corner is folded a little different. Door latches that don't fit because the door gap is 3/8" at the top and 7/8" at the bottom. Just to name a few things.

I'll always agree with anyone that says to buy a 2-3 year old used MH. The new bugs are worked out by then and routine maintenance is all that's needed. Walk thru a variety of rigs. Open doors and drawers. Look in the basement compartments, etc. You'll see the difference in quality. Better quality costs more money in almost every instance. Find a level that you and your wallet can live with and go enjoy.

Ken

The RV industry has many entry level rigs that appear to be cheaply made,  and those cheaply made rv's are perfect for some budget minded family.

As quality goes up, so does the price.

Both of mine I bought used. (1976 Dodge Jamboree Motorhome and 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS). Now as for the Jamboree I know my Dad bough it brand new. When I did buy the RV from him I was sure to get all the paperwork. What was shocking was the many trip back to the dealer fixing everything from propane leaks, stereo speak issues, starting issues, etc. Which now I traded that in for the Jayco I have now. No worse than buying a new truck in 2002 and fighting with all the weird problems with a new truck as well.

I would say look at buying a used RV. Even mine being 10 years old it was in excellent condition. Few flaws here and there (scratches and rubs). But all in all been a trouble free RV.

We have been extremely lucky getting a low end, budget trailer and having it be flawless in 5 seasons. So much so that I am afraid to trade it in. Honestly I'd rather see the cheap cabinets and plastic sinks while having a 3000# CCC and a solid wood floor.

The reason I say this is because I can replace a sink in 30 minutes, rebuild the cabinets with solid wood in a weekend, but replacing a foam core floor is a lot of work and a low CCC means a weak frame that probably wouldn't handle the 4x4 trails we use to get where we camp, not to mention carry all of the battery and solar we do.

When I bought my last coach it was 10 years old. It was in MY price range and it was the middle of the Damon line gas class A. It had a few things go wrong in the years I've owned it, but easily repaired. Somethings it needed, some things I just wanted to upgrade. I've been very happy with it and would buy another mid line coach in a heart beat. I looked at several coachs from different manufacturers when I bought this one. Entry level coachs in almost any manufacturers line that I looked at had about the same quality. I wanted a little more but didn't want top of the line for what my intended purpose was for the coach. If I were to live in one full time I'd want a higher line coach. If you like higher end furnishings then you probably wouldn't like a Damon daybreak or Itasca Sonova. Each manufacturer does build entry level and higher level coachs. You just have to decide which level is for you.

Everybody asks about the highest quality RV, but most then buy the cheapest one they can find. Granted that extra dollars don't always get more of what you need, but "cheap" is nearly always poorer in materials and workmanship. For most people, the middle price range units are probably the best compromise between quality construction & components vs price..

Welcome to the forum run 26... You'll get as much differing advice as people responding to your post!
My 2 cents... Buy USED, USED, USED!  ???
You might ask why... :eek:
1. Let some other individual pay the depreciation. Not smart,  depreciation that is. :'(
I understand why people buy new and thank GOD they do! They work out all the problems so we intelligent people can buy RV's with most, if not all, problems corrected.
2. I got ahead of myself two was  explained above. :-[
3. Lower initial cost to purchase. 8)

These three reasons alone, and I'm sure other posters can add more, are enough for me! ;D

Keith :p

It's always seemed to me that in order to really go beyond the typical "stick and staple" construction of most RV's, you would have to upgrade to a truly high end unit with solid-body metal construction.  I'm thinking along the lines of Airstream, Barth (in the 80's and 90's), and the premium DP's like Prevost, Newmar, and others that I will never be able to afford.  ;)

Other more expensive units probably have better woodwork, furniture, and fixtures, but the factory construction techniques are the same.

Most all motorhomes and many trailers now have metal framing and bonded (laminated) fiberglass walls. "Stick & tin", however, is the staple of the low end RV market. It's not terrible in itself, but it tends to go hand in hand with construction shortcuts, under-sized chassis, mediocre plumbing and wiring, and second rate materials. Still, maybe not a bad tradeoff for the occasional weekend user. 

Regarding the word quality, it is a useless word, unless you get specific. When you look at cabinet door = what is it made of, does that vary (wood on the door, pressed wood for the rest), what side hinges do they use, what door latch do they use.

For example, there are two kinds of door latches commonly used on both so-called entry level units and so-called premium units that I see everywhere I look so far. When you can understand what you are looking at you can determine it's quality and not rely on generally worthless broad comments about quality and the design is usually much better, but not exclusively better.

On the other hand entry level/vacation units basically are called that because there is so much of the house that is from my viewpoint poorly designed with lots of things that break easily. Full time quality and premium quality units still have things that break easily, but less so.

What is really amazingly funny are buyers of premium units who talk like the unit should be perfect on delivery and basically stay perfect...heads in the clouds or rather up their XXX.

Having read all the reply comments in this thread, they are spot on, as I am aware of it.
Best value, as well understood, are the used dp units particularly above entry level, that have dropped something like 50% or so, more or less, of their purchase price in depreciation. The chassis seems to be of better quality that most houses placed on it, be it gas or diesel, but I think the gas units often take a lot more punishment from their suspensions and that is why I believe their perceived value tends to drop quicker.

Buy a good used chassis and you can do a lot to the house on top if it doesn't leak. Many people seem to underestimate leaks. Tires are easily replaced. Suspension upgrades do a lot for gas, as I read about it, but as you reach 40 feet you reach dp land, regardless and there is some lack of clarity on just how much the F53 chassis can be improved...so going dp seems like what you do for extended travels or full time, for the savvy ones and the ones that have a few dollars.

Love the semi haulers and 5th wheels, but I suspect I'm better off with something like Newmar comfort drive since I have shoulder issues. For now, though, my Mercedes clk320, with soft top down is my rv of choice and happy to stay in a quality inn or some such, and happy to use my passport to not be limited to the U.S.

It's too bad that all the negative postings discourage you newbies.  Please do remember that people come here and to other forums for help.  Our experience has been very positive over a 45-year period.  That's five motorhomes and all brand new.  We bought our first Class C El Dorado in 1972 and the following week took off to circumnavigate the USA for the summer.  We had a few things go wrong but what would you expect in 15,000+ miles?  A radiator hose clamp loosened in St. Augustine FL.  Another hose clamp loosened up in West Virginia and oil spewed all over making a mess - luckily we were right near a truck repair center.  An electrical wire also shorted in the Florida panhandle.  All three items were fixed quickly and we were back on the road.  Then we got two Lazy Daze Class Cs.  Each one had exactly one minor thing wrong from the factory and both were easily and quickly fixed.  When we started moving up to larger and much more complex diesel pushers the fix lists got longer, but none were serious enough to stop our enjoyment of our motorhomes.  So, I don't think you should be discouraged from buying an RV if you want one.  We've been fortunate to be able to buy new but we've kept every one of our motorhomes for a number of years so depreciation wasn't a factor.  If you find one you like, whether new or used, that's the one you should buy.

ArdraF

kwbush said:
Welcome to the forum run 26... You'll get as much differing advice as people responding to your post!
My 2 cents... Buy USED, USED, USED!  ???
You might ask why... :eek:
1. Let some other individual pay the depreciation. Not smart,  depreciation that is. :'(
I understand why people buy new and thank GOD they do! They work out all the problems so we intelligent people can buy RV's with most, if not all, problems corrected.
2. I got ahead of myself two was  explained above. :-[
3. Lower initial cost to purchase. 8)

These three reasons alone, and I'm sure other posters can add more, are enough for me! ;D

Reason #4 to buy gently used ....

Let the other guy spend his time running the rig back and forth to the dealer and/or factory to finish the quality control list.

I've bought several used vehicles that way - the seller couldn't understand why I wanted such a lemon.  Why, just in the past year alone he had to put in a new engine, replace the transmission, re-do all the brakes, then when the radiator went out it was the last straw ....  <g>

the wisdom of buying a well taken care of used RV is apparent with both price and shakedown/warranty problems...

and it also gives you a chance to see the actual quality of the RV.......

real quality is best measured with time. 

Depreciation is simply a mathematical attempt to adjust the original price of the coach downward over time and doesn't reflect buyer and seller judgments, informed or not, nor the terms of the deal. Therefore, a "gently used coach," a term that I believe reflects a coach that is somewhere around 2 to 3 years old, had an owner who has not lived full-time in a coach, nor smoked in it or had pets in it, who made a reasonable attempt at keeping the maintenance up, had its new blues worked out, and basically had vacation mileage put on it...is likely gonna be a prime cost/value buy.

Even older coaches can be a good buy for savvy buyers. The reason I say savvy buyers is that savvy buyers don't miss evaluating such things as water damage, degree of rust damage, delam issues, nor failing to have the chassis fully checked out before purchasing.

As AndraF says, it isn't like anyone is tossing their RVs out and not RVing, but buyer beware for an rv is different and much more significant than for a car. If you feel lucky, just close your eyes and buy....that is probably what happens for 80% of the first buyers. Mostly they just don't know what they are getting into.

If you feel you want to increase your chances of avoiding some of the horror stories that are easily found in all of the rv forums, then you inform yourself and do you due diligence. Because I have been researching the forum and done some other things, I didn't feel I was up for closing my eyes and buying, but I have starting rving my way and it will be its own progression.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom