RV Quality ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
Reason #4 to buy gently used ....

Let the other guy spend his time running the rig back and forth to the dealer and/or factory to finish the quality control list.

Excellent point Lou... another plus for intelligent buyers  8)

I've owned only two TT's in 25 years both used... very gently used... the first, after tent camping for a year,  was a 1972 20' Shasta tank, bought
for the paltry sum of $1500.00 in 1990.. yes it was 18yrs old when we got it! The unit was owned by a couple in their 70's who just retired from RV'ing. The interior and exterior were pristine and we had that unit another 6 years, no repairs or tires here... gave it to my oldest son. wonderful memories with the kiddies. We then kinda got out of kamping as the guys grew up and started their own families... THEN three years ago we picked up our current TT, a 2005 28' Fleetwood Prowler that you could not tell from new... the list on that coach was $11,000.00 at the time we bought it... I got that unit for the grand sum of $4,500.00. My youngest asked me if I used a gun to purchase it... ???

To say we've been lucky with our purchases is an understatement the ONLY thing I had to replace are a set of tires that were 10 yrs old... this year. 8)

There are bargains out there so run 26 have fun finding them... you'll be building a lifetime of good memories!

Keith

There is nothing like brand spanking new equipment...Buy used if you have to, new if you can. This dumb a** has purchased two new motor homes, and I am contemplating the third. I love brand spanking new, I know every nuance of my coach. I know exactly how its been maintained, and I know exactly how its been driven. I know every person who has slept in the bed, (my wife and I).

I have two words for those who disparage those of us who buy new...and they would get me in trouble if I used them here. Suffice to say...I buy new because I can...

Oscar Mike said:
There is nothing like brand spanking new equipment...Buy used if you have to, new if you can. This dumb a** has purchased two new motor homes, and I am contemplating the third. I love brand spanking new, I know every nuance of my coach. I know exactly how its been maintained, and I know exactly how its been driven. I know every person who has slept in the bed, (my wife and I).

I have two words for those who disparage those of us who buy new...and they would get me in trouble if I used them here. Suffice to say...I buy new because I can...
8)
Thank GOD you CAN buy new Oscar Mike!!!!!!!!!!!
If you took away from what I posted as disparaging I either didn't express myself correctly or you didn't understand what was written... :'(
I wrote "I understand why people buy new and thank GOD they do!"
If there were NO buyers of new coaches how could we, who buy used, find the bargains we do?

Thank GOD for those of us with the mindset to spend their money and time on "NEW".

Keith :-*

All of us "used stuff" buyers NEED people out there to buy it new in the first place and put it on the market later... so that arrangement works out great!  :) 

Akin to RV's, I've always followed the same purchase pattern with my vehicles.  Buy a well maintained vehicle 3-4 years old with decent mileage, after the initial depreciation has worn off and before it becomes "high mileage" which is pretty extended these days.  Our current daily driver is a 2007 vehicle with 144k miles (bought at 59k when it was 2 years old), and has cost me very little beyond basic maintenance and a few preventative repairs I chose (timing belt and radiator) to avoid breakdowns later.  My recently-purchased trailer tow vehicle is 20 years old and was purchased with 98k miles on it, and I spent about 10% of what a new equivalent would have cost... but it accomplishes exactly what I need.

RodgerS said:
As AndraF says, it isn't like anyone is tossing their RVs out and not RVing, but buyer beware for an rv is different and much more significant than for a car. If you feel lucky, just close your eyes and buy....that is probably what happens for 80% of the first buyers. Mostly they just don't know what they are getting into.

If you feel you want to increase your chances of avoiding some of the horror stories that are easily found in all of the rv forums, then you inform yourself and do you due diligence. Because I have been researching the forum and done some other things, I didn't feel I was up for closing my eyes and buying, but I have starting rving my way and it will be its own progression.

ROGER IS ABSOLUTELY ON TARGET. 

You have been doing the research and becoming educated.  You are now in the top 25% of RV buyers with respect to due diligence.  Keep up the research, ask specific questions here, pick a floor plan you both love, inspect thoroughly, then GO FOR IT!

HAPPY CAMPING!

Oscar Mike said:

Yep, same here.  There were too many years when I couldn't.  Now that I can, I will.  Working out the small bugs doesn't intimidate me in the least, and I like being the first one to use the bed and the bathroom.  Yeah, I know, it depreciates like the Liberian dollar, but I don't care.  Life is short, I have no heirs, and last I checked I can't take it with me.

But don't worry....I'll take good care of it, so when I'm ready to pass it on to you guys looking a bargain, it will still be nice.  :)

Frizlefrak said:
I like being the first one to use the bed and the bathroom....

Hey  Friz,

Chances are one of the greasy ol' yard-men at the dealership was the first to de-flower that brand new toilet.

Something that seems to be ignored in the new versus used debate.  In buying new, it is possible to get BIG discounts off of factory list prices,,,, 60K off of a $200,000 rig is very possible,,,, I can vouch for that.  If you finance any of the purchase, 2.9% interest on the loan is possible,,, I think that would be hard to get on a used unit. The new rig is guaranteed bumper to bumper for a year, and the engine and chassis has free road service for 3 years,,, not bad.  I also bought used cars during my working days and busted my butt for 50 years while taking care of the wife and boys.  Now, my saving days are over and if I can buy the new one I will and did and am loving it.  Never thought I could be so fortunate.

Frizlefrak said:
But don't worry....I'll take good care of it, so when I'm ready to pass it on to you guys looking a bargain, it will still be nice.  :)

No worries Frizle  ??? methinks the people who have bought new here seem to have their panties in a knot and are missing my point.
I have NO quarrel with purchasing anything new... love the smell of a new car, even love the formaldehyde burn you
get from a new 5th wheel, TT, etc., etc., etc. by all means PLEASE those of you who can buy new buy on, buy on, buy on. 
I cannot buy used if you don't :mad: Oh, did any of the people who use the argument about new beds and baths ever stay in a motel
or hotel or at a friends home or RV?  ??? Ok, maybe you brought your own beds, toilets, etc. :'(
Luv ya all!

There are lots of good reasons to buy new. Knowing the history of the vehicle, being the only one to ever sleep in the bed and on and on. I am not opposed to people buying new. But when it comes to giving advice to newbies I will always suggest buying used. Newbies don't know what they are getting into and there is a chance they won't even like RVing. Since they don't know what they are buying they frequently buy the wrong RV. If they buy used they loose a lot more money when they trade it in or sell it quickly. I have also read too many horror stories from people who bought a new RV and didn't get to use it for the first year because it was always in the shop. Beginners should not have to go through that.

kwbush said:
No worries Frizle  ??? methinks the people who have bought new here seem to have their panties in a knot and are missing my point.
I have NO quarrel with purchasing anything new... love the smell of a new car, even love the formaldehyde burn you
get from a new 5th wheel, TT, etc., etc., etc. by all means PLEASE those of you who can buy new buy on, buy on, buy on. 
I cannot buy used if you don't :mad: Oh, did any of the people who use the argument about new beds and baths ever stay in a motel
or hotel or at a friends home or RV?  ??? Ok, maybe you brought your own beds, toilets, etc. :'(
Luv ya all!

True... Please do buy a new RV... That way I get a shot at your used RV when you buy new.  8)

As for the motel / hotel comment. At least with my RV I know its cleaned up to my standards. I've been in places that stink of pickle juice, cigarettes in a no smoking room, etc. My stuff doesn't have to be put up every day. I know when I come back to the RV its just the way I left it.

To each their own and no one should ever feel the need to defend their choices.

We looked at used, our first trailer was. This time most of the rigs were beat up and looked like they had not been cleaned up after the last trip. A number smelt like their black tanks hadn't been emptied in a while. Anything newer and not beat up was priced so high that the new units on the lots were cheaper. After spending hours in the hot sun at a RV show with a large used section, honey said there's nothing here I would buy and half of them smell so bad I wouldn't take them if they gave them away. Come to think of it, I simply don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something we need to clean up, fix up and I certainly don't want to smell it. After that we only looked at new and ended up spending less on a year end special than anything even close to it used.

Everyone has their own story. No one is right, no one is wrong, it's just their way of doing it.

Hey guys !

I also dream of a brand new quality RV,.....

but it appears the definition of "quality" is a bit subjective..... I keep dreamin' Prevost .

SeilerBird said:
There are lots of good reasons to buy new. Knowing the history of the vehicle, being the only one to ever sleep in the bed and on and on. I am not opposed to people buying new. But when it comes to giving advice to newbies I will always suggest buying used. Newbies don't know what they are getting into and there is a chance they won't even like RVing. Since they don't know what they are buying they frequently buy the wrong RV. If they buy used they loose a lot more money when they trade it in or sell it quickly. I have also read too many horror stories from people who bought a new RV and didn't get to use it for the first year because it was always in the shop. Beginners should not have to go through that.

Yep.  I wouldn't advise anyone to buy new until they've owned a few of them and know exactly what they want...and exactly what they don't want. 

TonyDtorch said:
Hey  Friz,

Chances are one of the greasy ol' yard-men at the dealership was the first to de-flower that brand new toilet.

Well if he did, he left zero evidence.  Not the forte of most grease monkeys....so I'm going to say the throne was virginal before I plopped my buttocks on it for the first time! 

Tony....I thought of you on our last outing.  When we arrived at the campground, there were 8 truck/trailer combos there including us.  4 were Cummins.  I took pics for your amusement....will toss them up on here soon!  :p

Frizlefrak said:
Well if he did, he left zero evidence.  Not the forte of most grease monkeys....so I'm going to say the throne was virginal before I plopped my buttocks on it for the first time!

Now there's a visual that I won't forget anytime soon!  :eek:  ;)

Honestly mine was a rare deal. first I showed up to Camping World in Nampa, ID and meet a wonderful dealer named William. First he trained us on different aspects of floorplans, construction, showing the difference between entry level and premium level as well making sure we fit the RV. Also at the same time I got the towing specs out for my truck. So we spent better than 6 hours down there. Last RV that he just got in and well wasn't even sure of the price yet. 2000 Jayco Eagle. Tanks were all cleaned and empty. Water system already winterized. Interior was in excellent shape for its age. Awning torn in one small spot and rub damage on the one side. Need tires. With the trade in of my old 1976 Dodge Jamboree Motorhome and $11k it was done. The price included all documents, hitch setup and trailer brake controller. Dealer showed me all device function in the RV and it was completely cleaned and carpets scrubbed before leaving to go home.

Now I'm going into my 6th winter with this RV and still enjoying every minute of it. Why I love the use RV is the fact I can bring it home and not feel guilty modify it installing to my specs. Where if I do that with a new unit a dealer might have cause for voiding a warranty.

Frizlefrak said:
Yep, same here.  There were too many years when I couldn't.  Now that I can, I will.  Working out the small bugs doesn't intimidate me in the least, and I like being the first one to use the bed and the bathroom.  Yeah, I know, it depreciates like the Liberian dollar, but I don't care.  Life is short, I have no heirs, and last I checked I can't take it with me.

Not all of us feel that way though.  Even though I could buy new, if I wanted, I choose not to spend my money that way.  My RV is older, and has it's temperamental side, which I understand, and can live with, because I'm an old curmudgeon now, myself!
It doesn't bother me who has used the RV, the bed, the bathroom before me, but that's just me, and unlike you, I do have heirs, and intend to leave a legacy to them.

Buying used doesn't have to mean buying crap (literally or figuratively). Buying an RV is like buying a house - you look at the condition and evaluate how the layout (aka floor plan) meets your living needs.  People tend to get hung up on the vehicle aspect of an RV, but that is not really the major consideration. Of course, nobody wants to buy a motorhome with a bum engine or transmission, but those are seldom the problem area (especially if considering anything built since around 1999).

Shopping for a used RV is in some ways more difficult than shopping for a new one, but the pay-back is high.

Back
Top Bottom