RV Quality ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscar Mike,
I don't think you have to defend yourself for buying new, but I can see how you feel pressured by some of the comments from those that advocate buying used and that buying gently used is the smart choice. Better to point out the pros and cons, and let owners decide for themselves and go their own direction.

I think that the smart choices advocates, of which I am one, basically mean a gently used dp is generally the most financial sound deal out there, and that is hard to dispute. The reasons for buying new usually don't include financially sound, but other more personal reasons and needs, especially as you move up the $$$ chain and away from the gas units.

Does anyone not sink money and time, one way or other, into these land boats?

It is very apparent from even a cursory read through of various forums and threads, that buyers can expect problems to be found on both new and used units, and that the better of an inspector you are/experienced owner you are, the better buyer you are regardless...but that may minimize but not avoid problems that come regardless.

We know that this in not a financial investment that will earn a profit, hopefully, but an entertainment investment that will hopefully allow you to follow your rv dreams and live through your nightmares.

Often owners speak from their own perspectives, knowledge, and experience...and those are only as good to the degree they align with your perspectives, knowledge, experiences, and goals.

I don't know anyone who chose to enter the rv process the way I am doing, and I don't really care what others, not to be named, think...and you shouldn't either...just lay out your thoughts and don't take responses personally if you can avoid it, but yes we always want to be well thought of.

Note: after three weeks, I decided to stop the service advising work because I didn't want to do all the paperwork and wasn't learning much. I do have an RV extended warranty inspection to perform next week and am looking forward to doing that as an independent contractor...a better use of my skills.

After all, I am retired, and I don't have to do what I don't want or like to do. Rasslepizzle...old age has its benefits if you are financial viable.

Bought a new Nikon D3300, will use that for taking inspection pictures...much better than using my iPhone or a little point and shoot handheld...like those larger controls.

I think Frizlefrak has a great attitude about doing your own rv work and being your own warranty station.

At the time our Luxor was produced I believe it was the top of the line for Winnebago and it is an excellent RV. With that said I have found bolts stripped from the factory, AC canister filter installed backward (yes. from the factory). screws that were never installed and engineering that believes that sheet metal screws will hold in fiberglas. By far the worst is the use of luan for the outside panels....I cannot imagine how anyone would consider an interior grade of wood that separates in the presence of high humidity or the morning dew for use on an exterior panel.....these are all things that a buyer would suffer through new or used

RodgerS said:
I think Frizlefrak has a great attitude about doing your own rv work and being your own warranty station.

I'm another that believes in doing his own repairs on the RV. That way I know the repair is done right and don't have to fix it again. I love the fact of modifying the exist RV more so for you own use.

As to modifying an rv, that is one advantage of buying used particularly as to redecorating. I'm not sure, but for the most part, I doubt that new buyers make as many substantive decorative changes as a used buyer would. Buying a well used rv sort of gives you license to kick the h... out of it.

One of the things I learned doing rv service work on the rentals was that I was often best served by just jumping in and kicking the h... out of it.

Gently used - 2 to 3 years or so - sounds like a good plan.  What kind of mileage might that be to get the initial bugs worked out?  We're looking at smaller Class C models and I've seen a significant variation in mileage in those 2 - 3 year old rigs.

Hard to say, but time will work out more bugs than mileage (although more miles probably equals more time used)... since RV issues (at least the ones on newer units) usually are related to the "house" and not the "vehicle" portion of the rig.

You will definitely see varying mileage, and often it's may be fine to consider something with higher mileage.  Problems often arise when a unit has just been parked and left untouched for long periods of time, and on motorhomes that is evident by very low mileage.  On cars low miles is a good thing, but on RV's you want something that's been used and maintained.

Why do I have this strange feeling that some prospective new rv buyers equate quality or working the bugs out, to being in a position of buying the equivalent of a good quality car that is relatively free from trouble but just needs some scheduled maintenance from time to time?

I tend to agree most people tend to see a new RV as most likely trouble free like a new car. Reality is that new RV tend to have more issues and dealer visits than most new cars would.

Mopar1973Man said:
I tend to agree most people tend to see a new RV as most likely trouble free like a new car. Reality is that new RV tend to have more issues and dealer visits than most new cars would.

Exactly why intelligent people buy used...  ;D and some not so intelligent I might add  :'(

Keith

If someone has the money, or more usually the credit, and wants to buy new, they don't have to explain or justify themselves. To me, what is worse, is how many buy an rv with unreasonable expectations and apparently little aforethought.

RodgerS said:
If someone has the money, or more usually the credit, and wants to buy new, they don't have to explain or justify themselves.

is it ever,  money smart to finance a new motorhome let alone buy one for cash ?..?

if you finance a $350,000 class A ...what is it a 10-15-20 year loan ?

and let's say for some reason, after 7-10 years you want to sell it.

..what's that 7-10 year old rig worth now ?............how much did you put down .....could you sell it for what you still owe ?....

It seams to me like there are only two reasons to ever buy a brand new motorhome..............

1.    I am planning on being buried in it.
or
2.    I have the money to waste.

TonyDtorch said:
is it ever,  money smart to finance a new motorhome let alone buy one for cash ?..?

From an investment standpoint, absolutely not, especially financing one.  But if you have the means to pay cash and the opportunity cost doesn't bother you, go for it.  Life is short....and if you leave your money to someone, they will likely get the enjoyment out of it that you didn't.

Frizlefrak said:
From an investment standpoint, absolutely not, especially financing one.  But if you have the means to pay cash and the opportunity cost doesn't bother you, go for it.  Life is short....and if you leave your money to someone, they will likely get the enjoyment out of it that you didn't.

Yes Friz, If you have the cash to buy a new $400k motorhome and can enjoy the years you have left using it.....Do it !

but if you can't pay cash............why would you ever finance a vehicle,..... that won't even last as long as the loan ?

TonyDtorch said:
Yes Friz, If you have the cash to buy a new $400k motorhome and can enjoy the years you have left using it.....Do it !

but if you can't pay cash............why would you ever finance a vehicle,..... that won't even last as long as the loan ?
Poor choices, is the only reason I can think of to finance a vehicle for as long as you'd finance a house, which appreciates in value during the 30 year loan period, unlike an RV, which depreciates in value during that time period.

This thread is a classic example of someone who financed a travel trailer, still owes $19,000, their dogs tore it apart, to the point that it has much less value than is owed on it, and now they want to know if they should just walk away from it.     
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,88464.0.html

The answer really is quite easy...No! It is not financially smart to buy a new motorhome. You will never see a motorhome listed as a financial investment either...no financial return on the investment. In fact the question is kind of dumb and so is the argument, because it is so obviously stupid to buy new if you are focused on getting the most bang for your buck.

However, many also use the word investment too narrowly.

There are emotional investments and there are entertainment investments. These provide positive feelings as the return on the investment.

So let the buyers alone that buy new, that is their concern and if they are smart and have some amount of education, they know the are not making a sound or smart financial investment and they know they are not getting the most bang for their buck...

AND being stupid and acting stupid is quite common and quite acceptable, particularly when buying from a dealership. And in California, they now have old hippies smoking weed playing campfire songs and asking you the big question...where could you be if you just bought new? (in the shop for warranty repairs, duh)

"If you don't fly first class, your children will."

I have a certain amount of money. I earned every penny. When my parents died, I paid for their cremation and services out of my pocket as there wasn't enough in their accounts to pay even for a simple cremation. I intend to leave a certain amount to my one and only child. That money is set away in an account, managed to continue growth. The rest of my money, investments and assets are mine to spend as I see fit until I die. If I wished to buy a new MH I could. I choose to buy used because I see that used allows me to do other things with the money I saved. That's my choice. Others choose differently. If it makes them happy to have new then good for them. We're both happy with our choices.

If you buy new or used, and then don't pay off your obligation, then that's a different story and you're not my kind of person.

Ken

bucks2 said:

I have a certain amount of money. I earned every penny. When my parents died, I paid for their cremation and services out of my pocket as there wasn't enough in their accounts to pay even for a simple cremation. I intend to leave a certain amount to my one and only child. That money is set away in an account, managed to continue growth. The rest of my money, investments and assets are mine to spend as I see fit until I die. If I wished to buy a new MH I could. I choose to buy used because I see that used allows me to do other things with the money I saved. That's my choice. Others choose differently. If it makes them happy to have new then good for them. We're both happy with our choices.

If you buy new or used, and then don't pay off your obligation, then that's a different story and you're not my kind of person.

Ken

I agree!! I've always spent the money to do what I've wanted all my life. I have done a lot and don't regret it one bit. I did have to take out loans when I was younger to buy my toys, but not now. Don't have a lot of money either, but comfortable, that's why I buy used, but good condition. Cars and trucks are a bit different though, always new, but I keep them for a long time. My kids can have what is left, if there is any. I've raced motorcycles, cars, snowmobiles, and glad I did it when I was younger. Can't do it anymore. There are so many RVs out there in very good condition for sale it's hard not to take advantage of buying used. Plus I'm a GM man and can't buy a new coach with a GM engine.  ;D

bucks2 said:

I like sitting in the front of the plane.  We worked hard for decades, and did all the right things.  We did OK....long way from rich, but a long way from poor.  I plan to spend every penny before they plant me in the ground. 

TonyDtorch said:

Agreed.  We pay cash for all of the toys.  Then again, I have a Cummins, so it will last forever.  ;)

now this thread has come back full circle....

it's back to RV quality.

the average family very likely can not  safely afford to finance a quality made new RV....( and should not ! )

They should pay cash for the best used RV they can afford.....but.....the fussy wife wants a brand new RV that has never had anyone else use the bathroom or slept in the bed.

so they end up with 10 year monthly payment for an over priced, poorly made RV that will sell for less than they owe on it.

The best quality RV you can ever buy... its the one you can pay for in cash.

I will never finance anything again in my life.... (and likely can't )

I found out the best financial plans can be erased in an instant......... by one serious family health issue.

Back
Top Bottom