Fishing license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzque49

Hubby loves to fish, but it can be a pain getting temporary fishing license in each state we visit.  Does anyone know if there a fishing license that would be valid in all states?

As an avid lifelong fisherman, I empathize with your hubby's issue. We're currently in western Wyoming, just a few miles from eastern Idaho, and I have to buy two licenses. Adding to the pain is the fact that there's a higher fee for non-residents.

Revenue from fishing licenses is used to fund local Fish & Game functions, and there's no reciprocity between states. There have been various proposals to create a national license, e.g. the petition for the national fishing license for seniors.

I am currently holding an annual Alaska license, and an annual Montana License and will probably get another short term one when traveling South - it is a pain - I downloaded the form from the link above and it will get submitted, I would love a national License...

Jim

License fees go to the state to support fisheries. Until someone is willing to pay to replace that money, no petition will do any good.

I always joke that I have caught the most expensive trout in the state of Colorado with the many years of paying for a short-term non-resident licenses (and not many trout!).

That petition doesn't even go to anybody who might be able to do something. It's mostly a feel-good thing from the guy that runs Passport America.  To make any progress toward a national license, fisher-folk need to lobby the National Governor's Association to convince the state's governors that a national fishing license would somehow benefit their states. The states that have popular fisheries would lose substantial revenue from non-resident license fees, even if they get a share of some national license fee. Maybe the argument could be made that more people would buy a convenient and reasonably priced national license and the net revenue would increase, but that's just conjecture.  Why would a popular fishing destination state want to share its revenue with states that don't attract non-residents? That's a tough sell.

Several years ago we met my cousins in Alabama,Cousin Henry had to pay more for a permit because he was from Louisiana.

Suzque49 said:
Hubby loves to fish, but it can be a pain getting temporary fishing license in each state we visit.
Many states have online internet license sales. This website has links to every state with information about license issuing agents and online sales.

A national fishing license is a good idea, or at least reciprocity between states (how about neighboring states?) . 
An annual form to fill out per licensee, with the number of days spent fishing in each state, could apportion the fees.

A number of states do not require fishing licenses on private lakes. I have had some very good bass and bream fishing on campground lakes. Some National Parks like Yellowstone have their own fishing permit, no state license required. No license or permit is required to fish in Glacier National Park. If you camp in a Texas State Park campground you do not need a fishing license while camping in the park. If you want to fish in Canada, in some provinces you will have the priviledge of paying an even higher license fee as a non-citizen.

Actually, neighboring states that share waters on their borders sometimes do have reciprocal agreements.

Wish that were true here. We're in Western Wyoming and just a few miles from Idaho. I have to buy licenses for both states to fish the same streams that cross the state line.

Reciprocity would be complicated with some states requiring "stamps" for different species of fish.

Similarly, regulations in adjacent states can be quite different, e.g. WY and ID have different rules for water access on the same stream. The two states also have different rules regarding species and sizes that can be kept. Fortunately, I'm a catch-and-release guy.

The reciprocity I've seen involves lakes on state borders, and even then applied only to those fishing from boats on the lake. If you drove across the border and fished the same lake from shore, you needed a non-resident license. I even recall reading about a fisherman who was fined after crossing the lake by boat and then getting out to fish from the opposite state shore. His out-of-state license was no longer valid when he stepped off the boat! This was on the Fl-GA border, as I recall.

Lake Tahoe has, or at least had, reciprocity between CA and NV (the state line runs through the middle of the lake). It said "Fishing is allowed anywhere on the lake with either a CA or NV fishing license"; Not sure if that was literally ('on', as in while in a boat).

Trespass laws will also vary between states, and the respective state fishing regulations attempt to explain it. Here in Wyoming, state trespass laws allow you to float "through" someone's private property, but not get out of the boat. Adjacent Idaho trespass laws define a public right of way as "below the high water mark". Applies even on the same stream, but it can be tough to figure out where the state line is when you're accessing via water (wading or floating).

Tim & I were on an Idaho creek a couple of days ago (Tim was fishing, but I didn't have an ID license for that day). There was limited public access but, when I talked with a local rancher, he told me I could enter his property to fish anytime, just leave him a note saying "Tom is fishing".

I used to have that kind of arrangement with a farmer on whose land I hunted woodchucks. After I first asked permission to shoot on his land, he said "Park your car in my yard so I know it's you, and you can come back anytime".  When I got a new car, nobody was home on my first visit with the new car, but it was still ok. I chatted with him when I returned to the car and he said "I figured it was you, cause the car was in the yard".  :)  Politeness still goes a long way in some places.

Nice to have friends like that. I sure wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of a trespass violation.

On the flip side, the private angling club I've belonged to for 55 years in the olde country has owned the fishing rights to a river valley and tributaries for as long as I can remember. Private landowners can only fish water flowing through their property if they belong to the club (most don't), and club members have the legal 'right of way' through their property to access the river or tributaries. Anglers still need a county-issued fishing license, but that does not grant fishing rights to any body of water.

I've maintained my club membership for the 35 years we've been here in the U.S., and used to send my renewal check every year. Some years ago (20-25) they  granted me a lifetime membership, and I haven't had to pay dues since. Of course, I don't get to fish there every day (as I once did), but it's still useful on my visits to see family. My luggage seems to raise an eyebrow with airport security when they see a bunch of fishing tackle packed in my bags.

Bump

Tom said:
Lake Tahoe has, or at least had, reciprocity between CA and NV (the state line runs through the middle of the lake). It said "Fishing is allowed anywhere on the lake with either a CA or NV fishing license"; Not sure if that was literally ('on', as in while in a boat)....

CA/AZ have such an agreement for the Colorado River where the river is the state line.  You can fish either bank or from a boat anywhere on the river if you have a valid license from either state.  This includes the lakes/reservoirs that are created by the impoundment of the river.  Does not include tributaries or irrigation ditches. 
You must follow the regs from the state that issued the license no matter where you fish.  This means you follow CA regs if you have  CA license, even if fishing from the AZ side of the river, and vice versa.  The regs are pretty close anyway, mostly wording differences.  Confirmed from both AZ and CA F&G Depts.

Back
Top Bottom