Best door/hatch for a 50 Amp plug compartment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaRichG

Hi again all, :)

I'm getting incoming water from the doors (1 hatch cut into the other for a total of 2) to my 50 Amp storage compartment.  Looking at the 2 current hatches/doors it's no surprise that rain is getting in due to:
1) the "cartoon mouse-hole" shaped opening in the inner hatch which seems couldn't even work in theory.
2) the lack of strength of the hatch inner hatch itself which gets bowed out or popped open completely even when in "lock" position simply by the weight/pressure of the 50 Amp wire.
3) the lack of seal on the outer hatch presumably from trying to hold the weight of the 50 Amp wire over time.  Instead of a smooth/even opening it's got plenty of "play/wiggle room" so the weight of the wire (even if balanced onto concrete bricks or such) is enough to knock if off-center and lose what seal it's intended to have.

This item is comparable visually to the inner hatch on my 5th Wheel: http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-22132-A-Polar-Electric/dp/B0021WBAE0

I'm hoping there's a one piece high-quality unit that I'm simply not using the right words to search for via Google.  I've found a few options but they don't scream quality via pictures and I'm not confident that I wouldn't buy/install and still be taking on water. :(  Any ideas/links? I'm full-timing and always connected to the same shore power so I don't need to roll-up and store the wire often.  I'm also wondering if I should use some insulating foam after installing the new piece(s) since it won't be moving for a while?

I'll snap a pic tomorrow in the daytime of my current stuff and post if needed.

For what it's worth that's the exact door assembly (in the link) I have on my rig and I've never found water inside. I have an electric cord reel mounted inside. The 50 amp cord sits in the notch at the bottom of the door without problem. My door is mounted on the side of the rig about 5 feet from the ground with nothing above or below to take the cord strain other than the bottom of the door frame. Is it possible that a small amount of that plastic roof gutter above the door would solve the problem by diverting the water running down the side of your rig?

Ken

Thanks for the info, Ken.

Maybe I just need to replace the current one with a duplicate due to age (1990 Fifth Wheel).  I've got at least 5 "slivers" of opening when the inner hatch isn't popping open so I'm not confident just diverting water will do the trick.

That's also the same door on my 2009 Monaco. I've seen these where the door has become warped  - maybe from heat. So far mine is doing fine.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom