9.9 Coleman outboard motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

Any one have any experience or knowledge with this motor? Thinking about it for a 14 Foot Jon boat. Thanks

I saw that motor on display while breezing through the aisles at Cabela's and meant to go back for a closer look. I had a suspicion that it's a private label made by someone else, but it had an unfamiliar shape to the upper cowl.

Since the Coleman company doesn't actually make any products anymore, Tom is undoubtedly right. Coleman licenses its name and somebody else makes the product, and sells & services it too.  When the license period runs out, the product disappears, so I would advise that you find out who made it and how/where to get parts when needed.

Usually a Coleman brand product is made by a company already in the business for that type of product but lacking a well-known brand name. They license the Coleman name to get instant brand recognition, which is probably how they got Cabela's to carry the product in their stores.

Looks like a Tohatsu. Check price difference and warranty, might be better off with the Tohatsu.

Bill

The Tohatsu has a 5 year, Coleman one  year. About the $200.00 difference.

Here's a trick to find the OEM manufacturer.  It's worked for lawn equipment and may apply to this.  If you can get access to a parts list for this motor (typically found on their website in a manual), pick a major part and then type that part number into your Google search box.  Many times the result you will get are distributors and retailers that sell that part.  Go to their website and again type in the same number on their search box.  When I have done this, all the brands using that same part may be displayed.  From there it's possible to determine who actually manufactures the motor. 

Tohatsu makes most of the small 4 stroke motors for many name brand manufacturers - they even make them for Mercury.

My vote would be Tohatsu...I had one and it was a great little motor - had it on a Gheenoe.

Good Luck,

JIm

Apparently they are Chinese knock offs made under a variety of names but parent company is Parsun. Beware.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom