RE Sealing EPDM Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90Teton

Hi All,
I have a 1990 Teton 5th wheel that has an EPDM Rubber roof that is mostly black at this point.

I am going to re seal/paint it with Snow roof Elastomeric roof coating and their Elasto-Seal primer. I have already removed most of the old caulking that had cracked and peeled, I have put Eternabond Tape on the front and rear seams and any holes that I found so here are my questions,
1. Do I have to or should I remove all the vents, sun roof thing, A/C and breather vents?
2. Do I have to pull out the entire A/C unit?
3. Should I scuff up the Eternabond Tape for better adhesion.

I would remove anything that was easy to remove, simply to coat as much of the old material as possible. A/c is optional, in my opinion.

As for the eternabond, try the primer on a sample and see if it adheres well. Let the primer dry for a few days, then stick some duct tape over it. Let it sit for a day, then peel the duct tape off. If it doesn't remove the primer, great. If it does, rough it up before coating the next time.

I would do a similar test on the EPDM itself. EPDM is not kind to all roof coatings, and you definitely don't want it peeling off in 6 months. Have you asked Snow Roof about using their product on EPDM?

I repainted my last 5'r a 1990 4 or 5 years ago.  Same thing the coating was chalking off.  Clean the roof with TSP to remove any remaining chalking.  I remove the A/C cover so I could work around it easier.  No need to remove the vents or the sky light or the A/C.  Assuming that you are using the correct products nothing should not require to be scuffed.  The primer will remain tacky and there is a time frame that you'll need to apply the top coat.    I used a paint brush around the vents and A/C and a new paint roller for the rest of the roof.  Read and following the directions on the can(s) and application rate(s).  Start at the nose and work towards the ladder.  The prime will stay tacky so the top coat binds.  I clean the bottoms of a pair of tennis shoes... you will track.. you don't want to track dirt.  The top coat will cover your tracks. Saw the 5'r last year and it still looked good.

I'll will sure look pretty and white.

Good Luck,

Wi1dBill

Wi1dBill 

Thank you both for your input, Gary RV Roamer, I did speak with KST Coatings about the Snowroof product and this is what they told me. SnowRoof is designed for Aged EPDM Rubber Roofs but you have to use the primer and apply it in two coats first. Wild Bill, I am going to call KST Coatings again, they told me to let the each coat of the primer and sealer dry completely between each coat. I will let you know what they say at this point. I have been dreading this job because the thought of removing all the stuff on the roof was overwhelming so thank you for letting me know that I don't have to remove everything.

90Teton

The product I used is called Kool-Seal.. Stopped by an RV dealer for other items and took the time to read the direction on the cans. The product you are going to use is probably similar.  Prep is the major thing in making sure that you get a good bond.  Said to make sure to clean any dirt, oil, grease and threat any mildew with 1 part bleach 3 parts water to kill it. TSP will take any remaining chalk off the roof any good hardware store will carry it.  You'll have to wash your trailer after cleaning the roof no matter what you use to clean the roof.  Any cleaner strong enough to remove dirt, oil, geese and mildew will likely take the wax off the sides

The primer that I used had a light blue color to it.  Directions said to topcoat after 24 hours which I did.  The primer was tacky to the touch but didn't come off on my fingers.  I just recalled that I left footprints as I worked back to the ladder... not bad, but like I said, tacky. 

It really wasn't a bad job to do.  I don't clean rollers and paint brushes, just I just trashed them when I was done. Then used new ones for the top coat.

Make sure that you have enough product to do your roof.  As I recalled it took 1 & 1/2 gallons of primer and top coat on my 26' 5'r.  Don't recall the type of roller (nap) I used but it seems it was fairly heavy. 

Bet when you're all finish, you'll love it and won't believe how white your roof is.  Add benefit, it will be easier to cooler in the summer sun.

Wi1dBill

Thanks for sharing your experience Wi1dBill, I spoke with KST Coatings this morning and the tech said to allow each coat to dry for one day for example he said wash your roof really good the day before and allow to dry, then apply first coat of primer by painting it east to west allowing it to dry for the entire day, then apply second coat north to south again allow it to dry for the rest of the day. Do the same thing with the snow roof, east to west allowing to dry then north to south. He said to use a 3/4" nap roller and the product is water washable. My 5th wheel is 35" and since I am doing two coats of each I purchased the big cans, I think they are 4.75 gallons each, that should be enough lol.

90Teton

Clean up with water!!! wow..now that is new...Probably the EPA had something to do with that.

I recall the North/South and East/West  two coats.  Don't recall waiting a day in between but that may have been the reason it was still tacky.  I know I also called the supplier/manufacturer and talked to them about applying it.  Since the product your are using, cleans up with water, the drying time maybe different...

Just a thought, take some before, during and after pictures for and post them here.

Wi1dBill 

Back
Top Bottom