5L Cummins Diesel in the 2016 Nissan Titan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
Nissan has redesigned the Titan 1/2 ton pickup for the new 5L Cummins V8. 310HP and 555 ft lbs of torque. 6 speed auto transmission
This could make a nice small tow vehicle.

FCA really made a major mistake in turning down Cummins offer of putting the 5L in the Ram1500. FCA opted for the 3L diesel from its own subsidiary, VM Motori, for the Ram.

The Ram 1500 has lower HP, torque, payload and towing capacity.

FCA was going for mileage with the Ram 1500. The Titan will not get 28-29 mpg and a lot of people don't tow more than the Rams 9200 lb rating. Ram has the heavy towing covered with the 6.7 Cummins, up to 31,000 lbs with the 3500. Nissan does not have a 3/4 ton truck so this will help them tremendously.

I can't speak for the Dodge Ram 1500, but the 3 liter diesel in my Grand Cherokee will pull the paint off the sides with low end torque and the eight speed trans and will pull a fully loaded U-Haul at 55 mph at 28 mpg. Unloaded at 65 mph, it gets a consistent 33 mpg, and that is at a scaled weight of 5600#, so my GC is not light.

I think my trailer towing capacity is up over 7,000#, too. Apple and oranges, possibly because of the weights on the Ram, but if you can test drive a GC with the "little diesel" and stick your foot in it, you're going to get a big smile!  8)

Just sayin'....

skyking4ar2 said:
I can't speak for the Dodge Ram 1500, but the 3 liter diesel in my Grand Cherokee will pull the paint off the sides with low end torque and the eight speed trans and will pull a fully loaded U-Haul at 55 mph at 28 mpg. Unloaded at 65 mph, it gets a consistent 33 mpg, and that is at a scaled weight of 5600#, so my GC is not light.

I think my trailer towing capacity is up over 7,000#, too. Apple and oranges, possibly because of the weights on the Ram, but if you can test drive a GC with the "little diesel" and stick your foot in it, you're going to get a big smile!  8)

Just sayin'....
Interesting that the brands mentioned in this thread are rated on Consumer Reports Least Reliable Brands this year.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/consumer-reports-least-reliable-brands/#slide-3671843

I listened to an interview of the the Nissan folks at their Media Launch in Sedona, AZ earlier in the month.  They indicated that they were aiming for a sweet spot between the 1/2 and 3/4 Ton trucks with the Titan XD.  Much better fuel economy  than any of the available 1/2 Tons that are rated for towing up in the 11,000 to 12,000 range.  It'll be interesting to see how they do.  Below is a link if you're interested.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=40501

fijidad said:
Interesting that the brands mentioned in this thread are rated on Consumer Reports Least Reliable Brands this year.

I like my reliability chances after 26,000 plus driven miles and 13,000 more towed miles and no mechanical maintenance except scheduled, and those oil changes are 10,000 miles apart.  8) Maybe folks like me did not get counted in the report, though...

Wigpro said:
Interesting article today about the new Nissan XD.

HERE

It will make a huge impact on the domestic truck market for sure...

Jim
did I read that right ?...

you can get a brand new Ford truck (and others)....... and save 10 grand..... over the price of this imported truck that is assembled in America  ?

Still a half ton pick up. You still have to look at payload capacity. It may pull 12k, but will it handle the tongue/hitch weight?

Back
Top Bottom