2014 Rockwood Freedom 1640ltd. Is this a great deal or a problem popup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freddy4play

I am brand new to pop up campers.  I have never even stayed in one.  I came across an auction where I was able to buy a 2014 Rockwood Freedom 1640ltd for $2508.  I went and looked at it and the only thing I noticed was some mold in the middle on one of the awnings due to water sitting there.  Other than that, it was in perfect shape.  I am getting it from a dealer with a decent reputation in the area.  It fits my needs as well.  They do not sell Rockwoods normally so they are not as familiar with them as the other brands.  Anyone own this camper, and if so, what problems do I need to look out for?  Any words of advice?  I got a good deal, or at least a decent deal, correct?

I don't understand how this was an "auction", yet you are buying from a dealer? The dealer held an auction on his used inventory?

Those sold for under $7000 new, but (according to NADA) seem to be holding value decently, so $2500 does seem rather cheap. Makes you wonder why anybody would sell/auction it off if it probably could have been sold for $3500 or so?  But of the condition is solid, there isn't much to be concerned about. There isn't all that much to go wrong in a pop-up.

It was a radio/internet advertising auction.  The dealership got $5600 worth of advertising from the radio station, in this case, 4-5 different large radio stations in the area, all owned by the same company.  He "donates" an item for auction to the radio station.  The radio station keeps any proceeds from the auction.  So basically, the radio station has extra ad space they want to sell but are not going to get anywhere close to what they normally charge, so they make a deal with businesses in the area.  The business "donate" items, gift certificates, hotel stays, spa services, etc, etc.  In this case, they donated a pop up camper.    The bidding started at $2200.  I put in a winning bid of $2508.  I stopped out at the dealership today and he said I can pick it up anytime in the next couple of weeks.  It was still set up and still looked great.  It was POURING rain today, torrential flooding rain here in the midwest.  Not a drop inside.  He said when I come to pick it up make sure to set aside an hour to 1.5 hours so they can give me a walk through of how to operate the camper, so they seem pretty thorough.

We had a rockwood Freedom 1910.  It was a good camper.
No real issues.
I'd say certain things about it were cheaply done..... but they are all that way so not really a knock on Rockwood.
Make sure its level before you crank up the roof and put down the stabilizing jacks after the roof is up.
It'll be fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom