Need help picking a place to register our 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wolfes

We are going full time in about a week and still have not picked a domicile.  Insurance is not a problem because we are both on medicare.  It is my understanding, that as full timers, it is legal for us to pick our own domicile.  We'd like to register our 5er some place that isn't going to cost us an arm and a leg.  We pick it up next week, it's a 2016 LandMark 365.  She's 42.9 ft long and weighs 18,000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go to the forum library and search on domicile.  You'll find several articles that will help you decide.

Here's 2 of them:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=416:choosing-a-state-of-domicile&catid=29&Itemid=148

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=220:legal-residency-and-domicile&catid=29&Itemid=132

You will also find the full timing section of the library useful.

Just to be clear, being a "fulltimer" by itself isn't what gives you a choice of domicile. If you actually travel regularly, then yes. But if you park the RV primarily in one place, then odds are that state is going to proclaim you a "resident" and treat you accordingly, i.e. require that states driving license & vehicle tags, assess any taxes that apply, etc. Snowbird fulltimers have the same potential issue, i.e. both the summer and the winter state will try to view them as permanent residents.  Technically, you could still establish domicile somewhere else, but the distinction is probably of little practical importance.  For example, most states require local driver license and tags if you reside in the state more than 30 days, or are working there.

I mention this only because domicile is a fairly complex legal concept, but when RVers ask about it, they are usually really asking about the tax consequences of state residency rather than "domicile". Mostly, though, fulltime RV travelers can establish a domicile/residency most anywhere.

Insurance is not a problem because we are both on medicare.

You may be on Medicare but you still have to buy your supplemental insurance and drugs (Part D) in your state of domicile so they are related.  The providers of choice and the rate you are charged for those varies by state so you really need to look at numerous factors when choosing domicile.  Don't go into it too hastily because what may be good for you in one state may not be good for you in another state.  An example is taxes on financial assets.  If you move to an income-tax-free state there will be no tax on those accounts, but there most likely will be in states with an income tax.

ArdraF

My God,  I am not smart enough to make all these decisions.  We really appreciate your help.  Thanks so much

We just bought a 2016 5th wheel and didn't want to have to pay a fortune to register it.  With all the expenses that comes with the preparations to go full time a person can run out of money pretty darn fast.  We are 1 week away from FREEDOM!!!

You might wish to check out the escapees web site. They have condiderable information and provide addresses in a couple of states,  primarily Texas.

I argued with this decision for several years and changed a couple times. Before I was on Medicare I tried to get something in one of the States that accepted the exchange and bridge for those of us not quite 65 - Nevada was my first choice on that one - no taxes and part of the exchange - got that done, but had trouble with an error on the Vin number for my truck and could not get it registered....in the meantime I turned 65 and my challenges changed. While spending my summer in Montana I got everything resolved - corrected title for the truck and permanent registration and no sales tax on the vehicle - so saved money. I also got permanent plates for the 5th wheel - again saving money. Turned 65 so Medicare and the exchanges were no longer an issue and through this forum was lucky to find a good reliable source to select my supplement package. These people were great and I am extremely happy with their guidance and the ease of working with them.

So if you are a traveler and trying to select a good Medicare supplement - talk to these folks HERE!

So for me - establishing and registering my vehicles in Montana happened to be the best choice - I still use my mail service in Nevada and will continue to do so....but everyone is different so you must seek, discover what is best for your particular situation.

Good Luck,

Jim

Back
Top Bottom