House battery type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajvanste

I am installing solar power to charge my batteries.  Choices are gel, sealed lead acid battery (AGM) and flooded.  How can I determine what kind I have?

The easiest way is simply the label on the side of the battery.  If it doesn't say AGM or Gel, it's probably isn't either one and thus is flooded cell. Unless you are a previous owner specifically bought AGM or Gel, odds are they are the flooded type.

Flooded cells will have protruding caps on top, either individual ones or rectangular covers for a set of 3 cells. AGMs and Gels are "Valve-regulated" (VRLA) and normally don't have those. That's not a foolproof ID because some AGM & Gel batteries do have visible caps, even though they are not removable.  And so-called maintenance-free flooded cell batteries may have sealed tops and the caps for the cells are not protruding above the surface and thus not obvious.

A flooded cell battery with individual caps:
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/images/camping/Power/cg-power-batteries%205.jpg

Maybe if you posted a picture of the batteries one of us could ID them for you. Sometimes an experienced eye can pick up a subtle clue that is difficult to describe in words.

Thanks for this, Gary.  You got back to me pretty fast, and I am grateful.  I am not near my RV right now, but once I am, I will check out the batteries first and if I can't figure it out, I'll definitely send a foto.  One other question you might be able to answer:  I have two batteries chained together with cables.  I assume if I hook my solar power to one of them, it will charge both just like when I am hooked to shore power or running my generator.  Is that a fair assumption?  s/f Joe

That's an OK method.  However, the optimal way is to connect to the plus terminal on the first battery and the negative on the last one of the group.  In practice there is little difference, though, especially with just two batteries.  I would hook them up however it is convenient for wiring.

http://www.solarray.com/TechGuides/WireDiagrams_T.php

ajvanste said:
I am installing solar power to charge my batteries.  Choices are gel, sealed lead acid battery (AGM) and flooded.  How can I determine what kind I have?

If thy won't fit in your pocket they are not GEL. Gel is very rare though one company mis-advertises their AGM as Gel, GEL has basically been repalced by AGM and for very very good reasons.

FLooded wet as you have been told you can add DISTILLED water too. the caps are easily removed.

Maintenance free sealed valve regulated WET cells do not have removable caps but they are liquid filled. Thus they slosh a bit if you slosh them.. Depending on many things my may be able to sense the sloshing.

AGM does not slosh  And since AGM makers are rather proud of their product, they usually say AGM on the outside (Save for Optima which advertises as both GEL and AGM, they are AGM, that is the part that is there is AGM, the other 40% is not there.  WHich is why I do not recommend them)

Hope this helps.

Some folks feel that there are advantages to AGM and in your case... they MIGHT be right.

Here is a photo of my batteries.  We tubed up the website on the batteries and found they MAY be flooded batteries, which is what I selected on the solar controller.  I got green lights, so the solar appears to be charging.  Do these look like flooded batteries to you?  BTW, this is my first shot at this forum and I have to say you all are very helpful.  I hope to contribute something of value in the future.

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 53
I see NO cell caps in that photo but the carrying strap runs right down the middle where they would be so I suspect AGM. Time to end all speculation and read what is actually written on the battery. (IE remove one and do it correctly.)

I believe no matter what you select on the controller will result in charging taking place, only the charge profile changes between AGM and flooded cell.

Those are flooded cells - those rectangular blocks (with the white writing on top) cap three cells each.

As Alfa38 says, the selection of AGM vs Gel vs Flooded is a matter of optimization. The batteries will charge well with any of those selections, but the AGM and Gel types may have a longer life if the proper charge profile is chosen for them. And if you chose AGM and the battery is actually flooded cell, there is no harm.

Yep, when you open up the picture large enough you can see the caps. You might want to pop those caps off and check on the water levels if you haven't done so. Top off with distilled water.

JiminDenver said:
Yep, when you open up the picture large enough you can see the caps. You might want to pop those caps off and check on the water levels if you haven't done so. Top off with distilled water.

Unless that little white print says "Do Not Remove".  I have some sealed maintenance free batteries in my boat that look like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom