How to tighten drivers Velvac 2020 XG mirror?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

I've spent the last couple of hours trying to find out how to tighten the drivers Velvac 2020 XG Mini-Lem Vision System (external rear view mirror). Like the passenger mirror, it comes loose and swings enough to become useless to the driver. Unlike the passenger mirror, there is no obvious or easy way to tighten the mirror so it will stay in place.

Velvac's "library" is useless. It offers a few diagrams that don't offer solutions.

Do you just yank out the bottom convex mirror to get to the nut that tightens the unit in place?

The passenger mirror has been a problem since we bought our Itasca Reyo in 2013. But I can use a hex wrench to tighten it when it comes loose.

The driver side mirror just came loose near the end of our 3,000-mile trip, which ended yesterday.

I'll call Velvac tomorrow. Hope they can help and send me a video something. The videos on YouTube don't address the problem. At least I didn't find one that does.

tia for any ideas.

Edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

There should be what looks like a chrome button on the side of the mirror shaft.  Use a small blade screwdriver to remove this plug.  Inside you will see a fitting for an allen wrench.  tighten the allen screw and your mirror will be tight.

HueyPilotVN said:
There should be what looks like a chrome button on the side of the mirror shaft.  Use a small blade screwdriver to remove this plug.  Inside you will see a fitting for an allen wrench.  tighten the allen screw and your mirror will be tight.

Thanks for the reply, Bill. My mirror doesn't have the chrome screw.

ANSWER from Reyo/Via Yahoo Groups: Turn the mirror in toward the driver's window. The hex nut is just below the mirror at the top of the arm of the fixture.

On my 1999 E450, my PROBLEM WAS HEAD ROTATION on the outer pivot ON THE PASSENGER SIDE, which was scary w/ blind for lane changes.  I found the end of the arm had a removable cap, and about a 3/4-1-inch pivot pin that was FIXED in the Head and ROTATED in the ARM clamp.  The clamp was not loose, so I removed the clamp and added a small SHIM from aluminum flashing, and reinstalled the (1/2-circle) clamp w/ two bolts, BEING CAREFUL TO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN, WHICH MIGHT SNAP THE CLAMP.  i TIGHTENED UNTIL HEAD WOULD NOT MOVE AND THEN LOOSENED UNTIL THE HEAD WOULD MOVE WITH PROPER TENSION.  I DEBATED USING OTHER MATERIALS, BUT ENDED W/ THE FLASHING.  HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE... WAS NOT TOO DIFFICULT, except hang the head ( I used coat hanger to hang the head) to protect the wires while you have the head removed/ loose from pivot.

On our 2005 Pace Arrow and our old 1999 Aerbus, there is a small hole at the bottom of the mount where an allen wrench tightens the mirror.  You wouldn't find it if you didn't know it was there.  Both are Velvac mirrors but older than the ones you'll have on your vehicle.  Still I'd look for the hold. 

Back
Top Bottom