5th wheel Hitch Height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

Please help educate a newbie.

Most newer 4X4 PU truck beds are around 38" off the ground.
By my measurements, the 5er pin base plate is about 48" off the ground when level.
Most 5er hitches are about 16+ inches high measured from the bed.  (some higher, a few lower)
This means my 5er will be 6 inches high in front - or worse!

** Is this calculation correct?  Normal?  Acceptable?

What is the (normal) vertical distance from the underside of the RV to the pin plate?

If I need to keep the 5er at least 6" above the bed rails, how does this factor in?

Am I overthinking this whole thing way too much, or are these concerns real?

As usual, thank all of you for your researched, intelligent, and useful answers.  I will sometimes read other forums.  I learn more HERE on a bad day than I ever learn over there on their best day.  YOU ARE GREAT!!!

I didn't bother to look at your dimensions. They are pretty much useless to me anyway. What you have to end up with is at least 5" clearance between your RV and the bed rails. 6" would be better.

Don't forget that the weight of the 5er will cause the truck to squat several probably about 4) inches. If that doesn't do it, both the height of the hitch in the truck and the height of the pin box ubder the 5er are adjustable.

Joel

You want the trailer to be as close to level as possible, but that can be hard to achieve on newer "tall" pick-ups.  Hard to estimate until you actually get the weight on the pin, but seek ways to get it as low as practical. Getting it low and still mainatining the necessary clearance on the side rails is probably going to be a challenge, though.

How do folks with newer (2011 or newer) ? or 1 ton trucks pulling 5er's do this??  Are your measurements different than my estimates?  Does the 5er tow level - or close?  Were any mods needed?  (flipping axles, frame rises, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

grashley said:
How do folks with newer (2011 or newer) ? or 1 ton trucks pulling 5er's do this??  Are your measurements different than my estimates?  Does the 5er tow level - or close?  Were any mods needed?  (flipping axles, frame rises, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2011 as you can see in my signature and tow a 2011 Montana. It is just about level and I have 6" clearance.

Back
Top Bottom