NRA...are you? Are you not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudshark

Hi All
Just a question: Are you an NRA member? If why tell us. If not, why not?
I am not gonna open another argument on guns, whether you own them or condemn them.This is not a discussion on carry/non-carry. Just a discussion on NRA in general.

For instance, I am an NRA member. I believe the Second Amendment secures the First Amendment and protects our rights from governmental over reach. Although the current administration is doing a swell job of shredding the Constitution.

Curious as to what you think...

Are you sure you want to open this up for discussion?  It's going to go downhill in a hurry.

Please close this thread. It makes no sense to try and discuss such a hot button issue. I don't care what you think about guns and you don't care what I think about guns so discussion is stupid.

mudshark said:
Although the current administration is doing a swell job of shredding the Constitution.

I am a NRA member.  I don't agree with the above comment, or much of the current propaganda put out by Mr Lapierre et al.

I agree that this thread should be closed.

This topic has been so over discussed in various shapes and forms.  Quite frankly, it's boring to read.  And, "just don't read it" is hardly a valid argument either in favor or against the issue.

OK,I'll play. So if there are no exceptions "to the right to keep and bear arms" that means that any American citizen should be able to own any weapons that are described as "arms", up to, and including nuclear arms.  Can any supporter on the Second Amendment disagree with me?

So if there are no exceptions "to the right to keep and bear arms" that means that any American citizen should be able to own any weapons that are described as "arms", up to, and including nuclear arms.

Doesn't just apply to a "citizen" either. The Constitution applies to everybody in the USA, right?

But the applicability of the Second Amendment, or not, is a political discussion, and we don't do those here. Much to divisive for our pleasant community. Go elsewhere if you want to debate the why & how of the Second Amendment.

So, back to the NRA. What is it about the NRA that you wish to discuss? That does not involve Second Amendment issues?

NRA is a strong supporter of many excellent programs, e.g. safe gun handling training, hunter safety programs, wildlife support, shooting ranges & clubs, etc. They also provide and support gunsmithing schools and a National Firearms Museum. It's not just a lobbying group for gun owners.

Sorry everybody. I wasn't looking to cause any problems. Guess I am naive.
Please, close discussion.
Thanks

Years ago I was a member of the NRA, but I was an active trap shooter and bird hunter.  The programs that Gary mentioned were then, and still are, positive factors in favor of the NRA.  As they got more political, I found I was not in agreement with many/most of their political positions, and as I was no longer an active gun user, I dropped my membership.  I doubt I would join today even if I took up shooting again.

As Judge Judy would say,, "lisson to me, lisson to me, the question was "are you a member of the NRA?" A simple yes or no is all that's needed.>>>D

The question was also "If not, why not?"

Like Ned, I used to be an NRA member when I was more active in gun use. Dropped out when my interests went elsewhere. If I was more active in shooting sports, I might still be a member.

I was an NRA member back in the late 70s and early 80s when I used to hunt pheasants.  Not only did the OP ask a question, but also made political comments.

Attachments

• Waiting for Obama.jpg
    Waiting for Obama.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 38
To me, an organization such as the NRA is intended to be a means of bringing people together who have similar interests, no different than the Elks, Shriners, etc.  Since I have little interest in guns, I have never been a member.  But, the direction of the NRA in its political positions has gotten out of hand (IMHO) and has narrowed the "interest" encompassed by their leadership and many ardent supporters to the point of ... well, let's just say the NRA has morphed into a political monster and is no longer just an "interest association".

Yes, of course

For the reasons already mentioned, but I'll add insurance coverage, and a decent magazine

I don't castigate an organization for wanting to defend the basic premise that allows it to exist. If our leaders began discussing changes that would end of RVing as we know it, you can bet that FMCA and Escapees would become lobbyists over night! Suppose the gov't began to make noises about banning all vehicles that get less than 20 mpg? Or requiring a special permit to own a vehicle greater than 5000 lbs? Wouldn't you be worried?

Whether NRA's political position is extreme or merely well-meant depends on where YOU fall in the political spectrum. I think any organization as large as NRA (about 4 million members) can hardly be viewed as monolithic, and surely there both moderates and hard-liners involved. There probably aren't all that many who subscribe to every single policy the group supports. Heck, even AARP can't claim that all its members back every single initiative.

I'm very active in shooting sports.  (As much as my ammo budget will allow.) But not an NRA member.  Their politics are just a little too 'out there' for me.

But I am a member of FrontSight.  I chose to opt out of receiving their emails though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom