Virginia to Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmhardy

I'm still going through the forum looking, but I thought I would pose this to the group for any helpful feedback. I'm going to be travelling from Richmond, VA to Searsport, ME next summer. I have a week booked at Searsport Shores, but have another week after that I'd like to take advantage of. I'm a big "view" camper -- not a fan of being in the woods, behind a dune, etc. so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where I could spend 2-3 days along that route and maybe get a nice water or mountain view (I don't mind going off-route a bit if I have to).

Any input would be much appreciated :)

Did you end up taking this trip? I'm going to head from northern VA to the Bangor area this summer with my travel trailer and am trying to find a route that isn't I-95 and also doesn't add tons of distance. Any thoughts?

CArcher said:
Did you end up taking this trip? I'm going to head from northern VA to the Bangor area this summer with my travel trailer and am trying to find a route that isn't I-95 and also doesn't add tons of distance. Any thoughts?

Unlikely you'll get a response. The OP was last active on 9/28/15.
For me, it would be 81 to 84 to 90 to 290 through Worcester Ma to 495 to 95.

We're headed to Virginia from Connecticut in July, and share your disdain of I-95. We've had good luck with Route 301 in Maryland and I-295 in New Jersey.

South to north: US-301 to I-95 to the Delaware Bridge, I-295 to Trenton, US-206 to I-287 to I-684 to I-84. From there, continue on I-84 to the Mass Pike, then I-495 to I-95 in New Hampshire.

It sounds convoluted, but this route avoids DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC, not to mention the Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.

Rene T said:
Unlikely you'll get a response. The OP was last active on 9/28/15.
For me, it would be 81 to 84 to 90 to 290 through Worcester Ma to 495 to 95.

Rene, after using the I-290 "shortcut" for decades, I recently decided to stay on the Mass Pike directly to I-495. It's straight, three lanes and the road is in very good condition. No more Worcester for me!

HappyWanderer said:
Rene, after using the I-290 "shortcut" for decades, I recently decided to stay on the Mass Pike directly to I-495. It's straight, three lanes and the road is in very good condition. No more Worcester for me!

I've taken 290 for years and I don't remember ever having any issues. Although back about 4 months ago, I was getting close to the exit for 290. The traffic was backed up about 1/2 mile and wasn't moving. Must have been a serious accident where 90 and 290 meet. We did end up going all the way to 495 like you said.

Danbury, Waterbury and Hartford can get pretty bad on 84.  If you don't mind an extra 20 miles or so, take 87 up to 90.  The turn to 90 is just South of Albany. It is a nice drive through the Berkshires.

We tend to run up I-81 to 84, to 87, and North to Albany area. From there you can cut east out of Troy on SR 9, through Brattleboro to Concord, NH and US 202 to Portland area, or head north to Saratoga Springs and take US 4 across to Concord, as well.

Larry, I've taken that way a few times, but only in the SUV.  From what I recall there are a few steep grades that would make it difficult in an RV.  But I do agree it is a much prettier route with less traffic.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    I've started using I 91 and I 691 to avoid Hartford, it runs from I 84 to I 84

I do the same route Ed. I forgot about it. It's especially handy going south on a weekday at 8:00 AM

Waterbury is getting better. The eastbound side has moved to the new alignment, westbound will be done by summer. Can't wait for construction to be done.

Ditto on the 691 to 91 to 84. I go one step further and use the Putnam Bridge (Route 3) to Route 2, then 84 to completely bypass Hartford.

Happy - If you decide to use 301 you will hit a LOT of congestion near LaPlata, Waldorf and North until you hit I-95.  This used to be a decent trip but not any more.  I live just North of Richmond and I would never go 301, not even in a car, not any more.  You will trade one head ache for another.  You will hit a lot of traffic lights, a lot of stop and go traffic and you will be on and off your brakes.

I would put up with 301 any day to avoid the beltway around DC. I really despise the beltway.

ClickHill said:
Happy - If you decide to use 301 you will hit a LOT of congestion near LaPlata, Waldorf and North until you hit I-95.  This used to be a decent trip but not any more.  I live just North of Richmond and I would never go 301, not even in a car, not any more.  You will trade one head ache for another.  You will hit a lot of traffic lights, a lot of stop and go traffic and you will be on and off your brakes.

We were in LaPlata for a rally in 2016, and found that 301 is all about timing. We arrived just ahead of the afternoon rush, and departed before the morning rush. On the way back north, we cleared Annapolis just as southbound traffic was starting to build.

In northeast Maryland, I set the cruise control and didn't touch it for 40 miles. You'll never do that around Baltimore!

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Larry, I've taken that way a few times, but only in the SUV.  From what I recall there are a few steep grades that would make it difficult in an RV.  But I do agree it is a much prettier route with less traffic.

Ed

There is that run from Bennington through on the Molly Stark Trail that I forgot about. I confess that I have not tried it in our RV.

However, if you run I-87 further north, towards Saratoga Springs, and take US-4 East, the grades are much less challenging, and when you get to Hartford Vermont, you can take I-89 back down to Concord, NH. That is a nice drive, as well. Though now we're talking an extra hour or so driving time. (I think a visit to Saratoga Springs would be worth the detour, though. Assuming you're not on a time restraint.)
Also, if you're a history buff, a visit to the Saratoga National Battlefield park is worth the time, too.

Back
Top Bottom