Moab here we come

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Had a late start today - had to wait for a pharmacy to receive a delivery. We finally hit the road at 4.45pm, then hit the first Flying J to fill up. Light is failing, there's snow all around, it's raining, and we're an hour from Boomtown on the west side of Reno. This was a much nicer drive when we brought our visitors up to Reno & Tahoe a week ago.

Anyone know if Portals sells propane?

BTW no. I'm not online while driving - I'm online while navigating  ;D

I don't think so Tom.  Will check with Annie in the morning.  I think there is a propane place just up the street. 

BTW no. I'm not online while driving - I'm online while navigating 

So if you get lost we will understand why.:)

Hurry up, Tom!!! I think you're going to be the only one close enough for me to get online. ;D ;D Also, we're looking forward to seeing both of you again. ;)

Jim Dick said:
I think you're going to be the only one close enough for me to get online. ;D ;D Also, we're looking forward to seeing both of you again. ;)

We're trying Jim, but you only get to choose one reason  ;D

I was having one of the best night's sleep I've had in a while, when Chris woke me up at 3.00am to ask "what's that beeping?" Wandered around in my PJs, bleary eyed and cold, and finally realized I'd flipped on the wrong switch on the power pole when we got into the CG last night. We were running on inverter and the refrigerator was still on AC. You know Ron's going to say "that's another reason to arrive at your destination before dark"  ;D

Tom said:
Jim Dick said:
I think you're going to be the only one close enough for me to get online. ;D ;D Also, we're looking forward to seeing both of you again. ;)

We're trying Jim, but you only get to choose one reason? ;D

I was having one of the best night's sleep I've had in a while, when Chris woke me up at 3.00am to ask "what's that beeping?" Wandered around in my PJs, bleary eyed and cold, and finally realized I'd flipped on the wrong switch on the power pole when we got into the CG last night. We were running on inverter and the refrigerator was still on AC. You know Ron's going to say "that's another reason to arrive at your destination before dark"? ;D

Yep your learing. ;D ;D

Tom

>> the wrong switch on the power pole when we got into the CG last night. We were running on inverter and the refrigerator was still on AC.<<

Thats why I caution people not to run the refrig on the inverter, Too easy to forget to manually switch over to gas especially if you have no gauges to warn you whats happening. Have seen this happen numerous times at FMCA conventions.

Terry
At Moab, UT

I have never understood why anyone would want to run a refrigerator on an inverter when it uses so little propane.  Ours would run a year on one 30 gal. fill of propane but not more than a night on the inverter.  Of course, if you have an all electric coach you have no choice :)

Ned said:
I have never understood why anyone would want to run a refrigerator on an inverter when it uses so little propane.

In my case it has little to do with propane usage. No worries about remembering to turn off the refrigerator when pulling into a fuel station. Also, don't have to figure out how to deal with it when I'm about to enter a tunnel with restrictions. Less chance of a catastrophic fire in the event of an accident. It's there, so why not use it?

Why not just put the refrigerator in "Auto" mode, then it switches itself? Then the only time needed to change is when boondocking to force constant LP mode.

Tom said:
Had a late start today - had to wait for a pharmacy to receive a delivery. We finally hit the road at 4.45pm, then hit the first Flying J to fill up. Light is failing, there's snow all around, it's raining, and we're an hour from Boomtown on the west side of Reno. This was a much nicer drive when we brought our visitors up to Reno & Tahoe a week ago.

BTW no. I'm not online while driving - I'm online while navigating  ;D

Tom,

OK, it's because we are looking forward to seeing you again. ;D

Ron said:
Hmmmm, could it be that some folks would forget to turn the shore power on ??? ??? ???

LOL Ron, I didn't forget, I just flipped the wrong switch. What I forgot to do was check that I had power inside the coach.

BernieD said:
Why not just put the refrigerator in "Auto" mode, then it switches itself?

I would have agreed 100% with that Bernie, until yesterday. I switched it to auto, and it went to LP. Now, I wonder if I'd turned the inverter on at that point.

Jim Dick said:
OK, it's because we are looking forward to seeing you again. ;D

OK I'll belive that Jim. BTW tell Amelda that we have all her shoes on the coach.

Tom said:
BernieD said:
Why not just put the refrigerator in "Auto" mode, then it switches itself?

I would have agreed 100% with that Bernie, until yesterday. I switched it to auto, and it went to LP. Now, I wonder if I'd turned the inverter on at that point.

It would have switched to AC. It sounds like it is working just like it should. But that is why I added the comment about boondocking and changing to manual LP mode, so you lock it into LP and don't drain batteries when you turn on the inverter. That's what you do at QZ when you don't have a power pedestal available like Ron R or myself ;D ;D ;D

LOL Bernie. I thought Smoky had a reservation on the Qz full hookups.

Sounds like you're saying I should have waited a little longer for it to switch to AC.

Tom said:
Sounds like you're saying I should have waited a little longer for it to switch to AC.

We're on the same page, but I'm not sure we are both on the same line :D :D. What I am saying is that if you have the refer on auto, it will automatically switch to AC if you have shore power or the generator on. If your coach has the refer wired into the inverter, and a lot don't-ours came not and we had it rewired, then it will switch to AC also when the inverter is on. As soon as all sources of 120v AC is lost, the refer will switch to LP and stay there until it senses 120v AC again. On our Norcold 4 door, you can see it hunting as soon as the power source changes.

Might be one of those rare occasions, but we're on the same line Bernie  ;D

LOL Bernie. Remind me next time we're together to explain the "Mirror effect" to you. It might explain a lot.

Back
Top Bottom