EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Power questions  (Read 5501 times)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Power questions
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 08:44:41 AM »
Solar charging: Everybody wants a simple answer, but there isn't one.  You need enough solar capacity to put back the battery amp-hours you use on a daily basis, but nobody wants to do the analysis and arithmetic to figure that out. Plus you need to consider the amount of sunlight available where you will camp. A 1000W solar panel still produces nothing if in the shade or on a rainy day.

A 100W panel produces about 6 amps, so if you have 6 hours of full sun on it you can charge about 36 amp-hours. Two 6v GC2 batteries have roughly 230 AH capacity, so you can replace about 15% of that in that time. On longer summer days you might get double that. On a rainy you get zero, so you need enough battery reserve to get through that time.

The 200W that Jim suggested is a decent way to start.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:37 AM »
That's a much better waveform than I expected from a MSM inverter!  I've seen far worse coming out of a portable generator where the core has gone into saturation, and most portable generators run with their core saturated to save on weight and cost.

Having looked at a whole bunch of scope traces and/or photograpnhs fo scope traces I will second Lou's comments.  Never seen one that good before.. I had to click on it and view full size to see that it was really MSW.. it's that good.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Carterc1978

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »
Thanks for all the great information everybody! I purchased a couple of Yamaha 2000s to get me started. Probably gonna get a 300 watt Go Power inverter before i leave on my adventure. Ill decide on solar panels once im out there on the road and figure out my needs.
2001 Ford F350 7.3l
2008 Thor Wave 26 RLS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 08:53:59 AM »
300 watt good for TV's etc.  More watts lets you add Microwave, ELectric Razor (GFCI chain) and such.  I will always suggest TRUE SINE WAVE inverters mostly because they work with everything within their power rating.. I mean EVERYTHING.. MSW's not always no matter how good (And that one was very good).

I like the Yahama Generators  Noise: So close to Honda (1dB less) it's not worth mention.   Bearings: Superior.  All other specs. basically the same save COLOR.. Yellow is not as attractive to the 10 finger discount folks as RED is.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

JDOnTheGo

• ---
    • JdFinley.com
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »
Im trying to figure out an inverter set up that I already touched on on another post for running a tv and dvd.  I was planning on a portable solar panel to maintain my 2 6volt batteries. But what are your thoughts? If I am already planning on a generator (that could obviously be used for battery charging),  is there really a reason to spend the extra money on solar?

I LOVE my solar. I especially love NOT running my generator.  Everyone is different but, for me, the cost of solar (relatively low - DIY system) was more than worth it to me.

What type of TV do you have?  The newer LED TV's use very little power.  I'm not sure about DVD players.  In any case, I agree with the others, a small-ish (100-150 watt) inverter will suffice for this purpose.

I too am in the west and generally avoid the heat by going up in altitude. Obviously, that doesn't always work nor is it for everyone but maybe a hint that you will find helpful.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102 EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures

Hosted by Over The Network