110V Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travel1013

I am new to this RV thing.  I have a 2005 Forest River Sunseeker.  I have the vehicle running, generator running.  How do I get power to the 110V outlets?

Look in the area where the power cord is stored and if there is a receptacle nearby (of the proper type) plug the cord into it.

You have to either have "shore power" from a 120AC receptacle or AC generator or you need to install an "inverter" if you do not have one and the needed batteries for it to run.

Like Just Lue said above there should be a power cord and receptacle for the shore power.
Your generator / alternator from the vehicle will not give you A/C.
Now IF ypu have an AC generator mounted in the truck ypu have to use the above mentioned cable to plug in to it.

As said, there may be an outlet connected to the generator that your shorepower cord gets plugged into. Otherwise, there's likely an automatic transfer switch (ATS) that handles the switching between shore and generator power. Also make sure that any circuit breakers mounted on the generator are turned on.

If you have the generator running there are two kinds of transfer systems.. Automatic and manual (What call a poor man's transfer switch)

The most common manual is an outlet.. this outet is often in the power bay (The bay where the cord lives) or near the generator bay (You can figure that one out) and will match the plug on the RV.. That's the Poor Man's Transfer.. PLUG IN.

IF you have the automatic transfer...

Check the generator (Do this in any case) usually there are TWO circuit breakers.. On mine, when new, it was kind of hard to decide which was on and which was off (I fixed it, I applied an OFF label)... That is the most common Generator problem.

That's for the help.  My neighbor found the problem.  It was actually a circuit breaker in the fuse panel not turned on.  Appreciate the help.

Circuit breakers can be tricky.. One thing they do is an invisible trip.. THey LOOK like they are on but if you touch them they feel different.

And that's how I check 'em.. By Touch.. Or by cycling..

I kind of developed this habit cause I had Push-Matics in my house till the last few years... And those are very hard to read by any other method.  (I put in Square D when I got the motor home, also put in a generator transfer and inlet.. Wished I'd done that sooner.. Was nice haveing a nice warm house on New Year's Eve, in Detroit when Edystone,, er, Detroit Edison /DTE Energy let me down).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom