Trikle Charger & storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plbrooke

I am relativly new to RVing and have a simple question.  If I store my RV where I have access to a 15 amp circuit and plug it into shore power what do I need to do to keep the house batteries and chasis battery charged while in storeage?

You'll get a lot of smarter answers than mine from the other guys here... but my 2 cents is that, if your rig has an integrated 3-stage charger (bulk charge, absorb charge, then a trickle/float charger, plug it in and you're good to go.  Just make sure the battery (s)' fluid level is good.  Decent ventilation can't hurt, either. 

I can't say if your chassis battery is integrated into the house charger (doubt it), but I've used simple 12v float chargers from Harbor Freight Tools (about $8) on my RV batts, my lawnmower batt, and cars (in a garage) and all  the batts seem to love it.

Yep, I think I'd just plug the rig in and use the converter

But remember to keep a closer eye on the electrolyte level

If you don't want to do that, I have one of these
http://www.batterymart.com/p-022-0186-dl-wh-power-tender-12v-5a-charger-ca.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=022-0186G-DL-WH&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CjwKEAjwyqOwBRDZuIO4p5SV8w0SJAAQoUSwVxra49sAoRLP2gKHqD-N7oemwWJN4pCEQTRaqHoAPBoCN4Tw_wcB
on my boat battery.
After killing several of them from letting them sit to long, I've kept my barely used boat battery happy for a couple years with this.
I had one from Harbor Freight but never really trusted it.  That battery eventually died, but I think I left the thing unplugged for a while once so I'm not so sure I can blame the HF device....

When I put the RV up for the winter, I use to just put it on a timer. The converter would run for an hour a day. It was located in the front compartment on my 5vr and was plugged into a standard wall receptacle. I would just unplug it, plug that into the timer and then plug the timer into the receptacle. Simple but effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom