When you file a float plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
... be sure to check the dates.

Last evening I received a call from a friend who's 90-year old neighbor (Bob) was 'overdue' from several days hanging on the hook alone in his sailboat at his favorite anchorage. His wife was naturally distraught. Unfortunately, we're out of state, and I wasn't able to respond.

During the phone conversation, the Sheriff's Department showed up. Although they (the Sheriff's department) has a marine patrol and a boat in our local marina, they called in the US CoastGuard.

USCG on our waterways has two ways to respond; Normally they respond by boat (an hour or so away), but they dispatched a helicopter to the anchorage; They found Bob safe and well aboard his sailboat, with no plans to return home until today.

I'm wondering how they communicated to him from the helicopter???

Surely they didn't drop a rescue swimmer if he was ok.....

Did they charge him for the flight?

Most likely VHF radio (marine radio) from copter to boat. Most boaters don't turn on the radio at anchor, but if a CG chopper is circling overhead one might just decide to turn it on. There are many areas in the Canadian Gulf Islands where we boat, that have no cell phone service. That doesn't seem unusual to not be in touch with the "world". My favorite times are in anchorages where nobody can call me. I have satellite TV aboard so I can still watch the ball games, but I can turn off the news.

Ken

Haven't yet heard the rest of the story, so here's some conjecture...

We've anchored many times in the area where Bob was swinging on a hook. Several cell providers have phone and internet service there, and OTA TV is also available. Water depth is a little shallow for a rescue swimmer to jump from the helo, but they may have lowered the swimmer on a cable. Maybe they called Bob on a hailer and told him to turn on his VHF radio. IIRC VHF ch 5 is used by the local USCG helo, while the USCG boat uses ch 22. It's possible they also dispatched one of the USCG boats and the helo was communicating with their boat, directing it towards Bob's vessel.

well yes, if he has VHF.

I didn't think of the hailer PA from the Helo.....  I suppose they could have asked him to indicate if he was ok to by some other means..... hop on one foot if OK, for example....

He might have hopped on one foot without being asked, e.g. if he was mad because his peace and quiet had been interrupted by a noisy helo hovering overhead  ;D

Back
Top Bottom